GeForce 5950 - Bad Card or Not Enough Power ?

Old December 8th 06, 01:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TeKrat

Default GeForce 5950 - Bad Card or Not Enough Power ?

I got a PNY Geforce 5900 AGP card, the bios is flashed to a 5950, and
I have the abit IT7 mobo, and "HAD' a 350 watt power sup, but soon
found out it wouldn't suffice for the new card...as it would
constantly just make a glitch click noise and the screen would fill
with a solid pattern of orange or multicolored waves, and I would have
to turn off the cpu, as a hard reboot still had the distorted screen
upon restart. I checked on the PNY site and they said that this is
common if the p.s. isn't adeq. SO I got a Antec 450watt...that was
used and I think it might be iffy, as I had the card working for a
good 4 weeks, it never does this lockup in safe mode, and I have tried
over 15 drivers to see if that might help...but always when it will
even be sitting at the desktop, it will just make a click and the cpu
will freeze..
STuck as to what I need to try next

ANy comments or suggestions are much appreciated

Old December 9th 06, 10:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TeKrat

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 16:19:49 -0500, "Mr.E Solved!"
wrote:

TeKrat wrote:
[...]

I am hoping that is what the problem is, is that what you think, or is
it possible there are other issues with the card ..? I need at least
400 to run that probably right... My Old good one was 350, and the new
bad one is 450
Old December 10th 06, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rayson

There is a misleading fact on watt on the PSU, current system mostly depends
on the amp on the 12V rail. Therefore a high watt doesn't mean a high 12V
amp.

Since you bought a second hand antec, Antec is a branded PSU and should be
having a high 12V amp, it is possible that the old PSU is starting to get
weak when you bought it. Cards, CPU, HD, maybe second hand, but no to
second hand PSU.

Use a PSU calculator and see how many your system consume power and find a
high 12V amp PSU matching to the watt given by the calculator. You should
find a PSU around 26A and above.

Old December 13th 06, 08:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Roger

wrote:

TeKrat wrote:
[...]

I'm running a 680 and 530 (not sure about the 30 as it's out in the
shop right now, but it's over 500. That's work shop, not repair
shop:-))

I found with my systems NVIDIA 7600GS (250 meg) on this one and in the
shop computer that 400 was insufficient. They'd run but would
occasionally go unstable. Going to the larger supplies fixed that.
OTOH I am running a *lot* of storage capacity which can really tax the
power supplies.

Find a computer repair shop or go on like and get a good supply for
half to one third the cost of what they run at a big box store. (Shop
Around)
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old December 14th 06, 02:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
TeKrat

So you think the card is fine though.. I am not able to test it on
another system before I go and get a new PSU