Artic Aluminum or "Phase change" material?

Old January 7th 04, 07:40 PM
SomeBody

Default Artic Aluminum or "Phase change" material?

Hey,

I am putting together a new system for myself. I will be O/C'ing this
setup.

I purchased an A7N8X-Deluxe MB, 2x256M Crucial PC3200 DDR ram and have
just received my PSU, a Fortron/Source FSP400-60PFN 400 Watts.

My CPU is an retail AMD XP2500 and has a date code that indicates an
un-locked version.

My questions are on the thermal goop that goes between the heatsink and
the CPU. AMD recommends using the supplied "Phase change" material and not
to use thermal grease or other types of goop. Since I will be O/C'ing my
CPU should I use the supplied "Phase change" material or use the Artic
Aluminum goop?

If I use the Artic Aluminum, do I remove the "Phase change" material from
the Retail heatsink before applications of the Artic Aluminum?

If I am to understand this "Phase change" material, that once power is
applied and this stuff heats up, it will be ruff to remove if I decide to
change heatsink or use the Artic Aluminum paste.

Any comments on which stuff to use? I dying to bring this new box to life!

thanks.

--
A7N8X-Deluxe, AMD XP2500+ (Un-locked)
2x256mb Crucial PC3200 DDR ram

Old January 7th 04, 07:46 PM
ICee

SomeBody wrote:
Hey,

I am putting together a new system for myself. I will be O/C'ing this
setup.

I purchased an A7N8X-Deluxe MB, 2x256M Crucial PC3200 DDR ram and have
just received my PSU, a Fortron/Source FSP400-60PFN 400 Watts.

My CPU is an retail AMD XP2500 and has a date code that indicates an
un-locked version.

My questions are on the thermal goop that goes between the heatsink
and the CPU. AMD recommends using the supplied "Phase change"
material and not to use thermal grease or other types of goop. Since
I will be O/C'ing my CPU should I use the supplied "Phase change"
material or use the Artic Aluminum goop?

Use Arctic Silver (or Aluminum, or Ceramique).

If I use the Artic Aluminum, do I remove the "Phase change" material
from the Retail heatsink before applications of the Artic Aluminum?

Yes, remove the phase change material. Make sure it's all removed and
the heatsink is clean. However, if you are going to overclock, it would
be best to have a better heatsink.

If I am to understand this "Phase change" material, that once power is
applied and this stuff heats up, it will be ruff to remove if I
decide to change heatsink or use the Artic Aluminum paste.

That's right, which is why you want to remove it before hand.

Any comments on which stuff to use? I dying to bring this new box to
life!

thanks.

Douglas Adams

Old January 7th 04, 10:41 PM
thinman

ICee is correct.....but with a caveat-------removing the
"phase change" material also removes the warranty on
the CPU.

news

Old January 7th 04, 10:49 PM
Frank Hagan

"SomeBody" wrote in message
[...]

LOL! So does overclocking ;-)

FRH

Old January 8th 04, 01:21 PM
Gene Puhl

SomeBody astounded us with:
[...]

Don't waste your money, the difference is marginal, 2 degrees C at best.
If that 2 degrees is the difference between life or death, you're sailing
too close to the wind.
Can't wait for the "Arctic Silver" shareholders to jump all over me....
Read this
http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

--
Gene P
Old January 9th 04, 03:39 AM
SomeBody

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:40:04 +0000, SomeBody wrote:

[...]

UPDATE:

I removed the "phase change" material and used the Artic Aluminum paste.
Had a little of a difficult time getting the Heatsink installed, but I got
it on.