What the Heck Is This - AMD 64 For $215?

Old December 13th 03, 05:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Peter van der Goes

Default What the Heck Is This - AMD 64 For $215?

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ advertised on Newegg for $215 US?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...log=343&depa=1

What is the difference between this and the 3200+ advertised for $404?

For $215, I'm ready to jump!

** All opinions are mine alone.Do not attribute elsewhere!
** Peter van der Goes, Professor, Computers & Information Technology
** Rose State College
*********************** Contact ************************************
** Office e-mail:
** Home e-mail:

** Web Page:
http://www.rose.edu/Faculty/pvan/index.htm

Old December 13th 03, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
rstlne

"Ed" wrote in message

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-425&catalo

g=343&depa=1

What is the difference between this and the 3200+ advertised for $404?

For $215, I'm ready to jump!

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ - Socket 754

AMD Duron, Athlon, Athlon XP - Socket 462 (a.k.a. Socket-A)

Ed

Click the link he provided there Ed
It's got a athlon XP 64 3000+ listed
his question is
Why is the 3000+ xp64 half the price of the 3200+ xp64..

Old December 13th 03, 07:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
rms

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ advertised on Newegg for $215 US?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...log=343&depa=1

I believe there is an error in the listing: The 3000+ *I believe* has
512k L2, not 1MB as shown in the ad.

However, this is a fascinating cpu at first glance. It is the same
price as the AthlonXP 3000 400fsb, but is an Athlon64 !! Can it overclock
better than the XP?? Can it beat it in 32-bit benchmarks ?? Inquiring
Minds Want To Know !!

rms

Old December 13th 03, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
J.Clarke

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 19:03:23 GMT
"rms" wrote:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ advertised on Newegg for $215 US?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...log=343&depa=1

I believe there is an error in the listing: The 3000+ *I believe*
has
512k L2, not 1MB as shown in the ad.

However, this is a fascinating cpu at first glance. It is the
same
price as the AthlonXP 3000 400fsb, but is an Athlon64 !! Can it
overclock better than the XP?? Can it beat it in 32-bit benchmarks ??
Inquiring
Minds Want To Know !!

According to AMD
http://139.95.253.213:80/SRVS/CGI-BI...2,E=0000000000
129549964,K=4744,Sxi=6,Solution=4273 the "P4" indicates cache size and
the "3000" indicates clock speed, but their chart doesn't list the
actual values associated with those numbers, so your guess may be right
on.

I was just about to order parts for a new system--with that processor
available I need to reevaluate my plans.

rms

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old December 13th 03, 09:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Peter van der Goes

"rms" wrote in message
m...
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ advertised on Newegg for $215 US?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...log=343&depa=1

I believe there is an error in the listing: The 3000+ *I believe* has
512k L2, not 1MB as shown in the ad.

However, this is a fascinating cpu at first glance. It is the same
price as the AthlonXP 3000 400fsb, but is an Athlon64 !! Can it overclock
better than the XP?? Can it beat it in 32-bit benchmarks ?? Inquiring
Minds Want To Know !!

rms

Not only that, but the ad *says* it runs at the same speed (2.0 GHz) as the
Athlon 64 3200+.
That gives credence to the theory of 512k L2, which would account for the
3000+ vs. 3200+ rating?

Does anybody have any info on the planned range of Socket 754 chips? Perhaps
the 3000+ is designed as the bargain entry level to move us to 64 bit?

Old December 14th 03, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Tone-EQ

"Peter van der Goes" wrote in message

"rms" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Correct. AMD are releasing this processor in January (i.e. after the busy
Christmas period), this will also allow them time to manufacture a small
inventory of stock. I can't believe that is on sale already... ;-D

"For 1000 units AMD presented a price of 278,- USD for the Athlon 64 3000+
(1,8 GHz). In spite of the current strong Euro this means that a end-user in
Europe have to pay over 300,- Euro. But as we found out, the end-user-price
will go down for 220 to 240 Euro, when the Product finally comes
(End-December or Beginning-January) to the market. This means, that the
3000+ will be half so expensive, than the 3200+. But it also means, that AMD
wants to sell it "after" Christmas." Taken from:
http://www.tweakpc.de/mehr_all.php?news_id=4844

It's in German, so go here to get it translated:
http://www.systransoft.com/

--
Regards,
Tony. (tony.cue(at)tiscali.co.uk)

Discogs: building the definitive database of electronic music...
http://www.discogs.com

Asus A7N8X Deluxe (Revision 1.04, BIOS 1007)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ @ 2800+ (TBred-B, 13.5 x 166, 1.7VCore)
1Gb (2 x 512) Samsung PC3200 400Mhz DDR RAM Dual Channel
(M368L6423DTM/CC400)

Old December 14th 03, 12:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Tone-EQ

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ advertised on Newegg for $215 US?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...log=343&depa=1

What is the difference between this and the 3200+ advertised for $404?

For $215, I'm ready to jump!

I really hope this helps AMD to catch up a bit more with Intel. AMD have the
32/64bit technology path almost perfected and at VERY sensible prices too,
could this really be an Intel killer?

Interesting interview with Scott McNealy from Sun Microsystems, worth a read
for AMD or Intel users, especially the "What made you choose AMD Opteron
over Intel Itanium?" question and the next question near the end, very
true...
http://www.computing.co.uk/News/1151480

Old December 14th 03, 12:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Peter van der Goes

"Tone-EQ" wrote in message

[...]

Well, I guess I'll have to get a clarification from Newegg, as they
advertise it as a 2.0 GHz CPU. As Newegg.com is one of our (US) best
regarded and most reliable suppliers, I'd say it's on sale right now, at
least over here.

Old December 14th 03, 12:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Spam Me Please

http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=21087

Here is another tread on this matter, and google has tons of hits. I'm
busy soaking this in while we have a severe cold front moving thru
today. ;-)

I will have to research this one because I was about to go 64 bit
after the holidays.

Any confirmed benchmarks on this new chip?

Thanks!!!
Old December 14th 03, 01:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
rms

Any confirmed benchmarks on this new chip?

Someone on the futuremark forums is reporting scores with it.

rms