Interesting Article about cpu cooling

Old September 14th 03, 03:51 AM
Robotnik

Default Interesting Article about cpu cooling

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/

Hey, this is a pretty interesting article I came accross..... There's also a
video in there some where. It requires I think 4. or 5. something codecs of
divx.....I think the link they provide for the codec is broken.......just go
to the divx website and get it there.

Nic

Old September 14th 03, 07:00 AM
kony

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 02:51:33 GMT, "Robotnik"
wrote:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/

Hey, this is a pretty interesting article I came accross..... There's also a
video in there some where. It requires I think 4. or 5. something codecs of
divx.....I think the link they provide for the codec is broken.......just go
to the divx website and get it there.

Nic

It was interesting in 2001, when motherboards used in-socket temp
sensors and didn't have thermal shutdown mechanisms standard. Today
it's not even worth the time to read unless you have a board made
within that era.

Dave
Old September 14th 03, 01:54 PM
Robotnik

Well I happen to have a couple made in that time.

It' still interesting to me.

Old September 15th 03, 06:25 AM
Phrederik

Hey, this is a pretty interesting article I came accross..... There's
also a
video in there some where. It requires I think 4. or 5. something codecs

of
divx.....I think the link they provide for the codec is broken.......just

go
to the divx website and get it there.

It was interesting in 2001, when motherboards used in-socket temp
sensors and didn't have thermal shutdown mechanisms standard. Today
it's not even worth the time to read unless you have a board made
within that era.

So, you can safely pull the heatsink off of the AMD CPU's you're using right
now?

Old September 15th 03, 09:58 AM
kony

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 05:25:31 GMT, "Phrederik"
wrote:

Hey, this is a pretty interesting article I came accross..... There's

also a
video in there some where. It requires I think 4. or 5. something codecs

of
divx.....I think the link they provide for the codec is broken.......just

go
to the divx website and get it there.

It was interesting in 2001, when motherboards used in-socket temp
sensors and didn't have thermal shutdown mechanisms standard. Today
it's not even worth the time to read unless you have a board made
within that era.

So, you can safely pull the heatsink off of the AMD CPU's you're using right
now?

Nope, but did you think you can safely pull them off of a P4? P4s
HAVE fried from doing this. The larger difference is the spreader,
which greatly reduces the spot-temp, enough that the thermal diode can
react (since the diode can't react as fast as a _bare_ core would heat
up at power-on, the P4 could likewise fry without a spreader, even
with it's throttling mechanism). However, when the P4 heats up, the
silicone cement on the core will break it's bond with the spreader and
the spreader will "pop" off due to expansion in the middle, so it's
then offering no protection.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... don't run a system
if the heatsink isn't on it. Heatsinks generally don't fall off
without user intervention. One important issue might be for a
purchaser of a new system to have the ability (without voiding
warranty) and knowledge to open up the system and check it out
internally before first power-on.

If someone is in the habit of pulling off heatsinks while the system
is running they should probably keep out of the box.

Dave
Old September 15th 03, 02:26 PM
Robotnik

Yeah actually when I got (one of these computers) from Dell a few years
ago...when I was still a kid....my dad and I removed the cover before ever
powering it on. Mostly just to look at all the cool stuff.....but also to
check for stuff like heatsinks falling off.......and it was......mounted in
there pretty damn good.....I didn't see any way it COULD fall off... but oh
well. yeah it's not too smart to remove heatsinks while chips are in
operation.......might even void warrenties.

I also have an old.....pentium 133 that I use on a computer for the purpose
of playing audio.......I was bored....or jsut crazy I guess...... it has an
athlon heatsink on it, and some huge ass fan. Just don't want my pentium to
overheat :-D....actually I think those can run safely without heatsinks.
oh well.

wrote:

[...]

Cooling Fan for Socket 462 Dj Frenzy General 1 September 13th 03 04:20 PM
What is the best CPU fan for max cooling? Darth Joules General 2 September 12th 03 05:09 AM
Advice please on hardware cooling mcr General 1 September 11th 03 04:48 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
C'T magazine article - motherboard power consumption larrymoencurly General 3 June 30th 03 09:44 AM