Problem installing new AGP card into K7N2G-ILSR mobo

Old December 30th 05, 02:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Problem installing new AGP card into K7N2G-ILSR mobo

Here is my system:

* Athlon XP 2000+ cpu (no overclocking)
* MSI K7N2G-ILSR mobo (all mainboard drivers are current)
** 1GB RAM
** 2 x 80GB IDE HD
** 2 x IDE CD drives
** BIOS updated
* Windows XP Pro (sp2 and all updates applied)

I'm using the on-board graphics using the default BIOS settings. The
system has been stable for over two years in this configuration.

Recently, I got into digital photos and bought a new GeForce 5500 256MB

AGP 4x/8x card to upgrade the graphics (I have already returned a new
GeForce 5200 128MB card that had the same problem). My problem is that
when the
card is installed, the system is very unstable. It either reboots
unexpectedly or completely freezes up (though there is no heat problem
with CPU around 40C.) I have disabled the BIOS settings for AGP 8X and

FastWrite, but have everything else set to normal.

When I installed it, I first uninstalled the video drivers for the
integrated graphics. Then I shut the PC down, installed the card, and
restarted the PC. The BIOS recognised the new graphics card
automatically and Windows came up OK. I installed the new video card
drivers that I downloaded from Nvidia and things seemed to be OK. I
restarted the system, but it would sometimes get an error during the
reboot and restart or it would boot into Windows but restart right
after login (my configuration says to restart on a system error). If I
remove the card and go back to integrated graphics, the system runs
fine. I've even reinstalled window xp from scratch with the card
installed but no luck. The bottom line (what an overused cliche!) is
that without the AGP card installed, the system is stable and runs
fine. With the card installed, the system is very unstable and
unusable.

I've read and posted to other newsgroups, but have not gotten any
response.

Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance...

Greg

Old December 30th 05, 03:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Greg wrote:
[...]

Had exactly the same problem when I initially installed my
GeForce. These graphics cards pull much more current than one
might anticipate. My problem turned out to be an underrated
power supply. As with most people, my system grew over time.
The introduction of the graphics card was just enough to push
the power supply over the edge and cause unstable operation.
Upgraded the supply and returned to normal operation.

Just a possibility.

--
"ACK",
Bill D.

" Now just look..... they're burning the `Porta-Potties' "
........ OPUS
Old December 30th 05, 06:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Bill D. wrote:
Greg wrote:
[...]

and don't go buy the 500w 19.55 wonder - get a good solid one like antec,
seasonic etc.
--

sbb78247

Speak the truth and leave shortly there after.

Old December 31st 05, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Thanks for the info. I was really hopeful so I went out and bought a new
500 W power supply. Sadly, it made no difference.

I talked to the mfg. They wanted me to try clearing the CMOS which I did,
but it didn't help either. The mfg rep said it might be a defect in the AGP
slot of the motherboard.

Thanks to all for the help.

Old December 31st 05, 12:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Did you disable the onboard graphics card? If you don't see a
way to do it in the BIOS, call tech support where you bought
the mobo and ask if there is a "secret" advanced graphics
... like most of the Gigabyte mobos have. It may be there.
Conflicting video cards almost guarantee an auto-reboot.
Other than that, I would ask the vendor to send me another
card. That one could be a "restock" that they never checked
out. All the vendors are doing that now.

johns