BIOS CPU Speed: Can I change this?

Old July 5th 03, 06:30 AM
David Mills

Default BIOS CPU Speed: Can I change this?

For the first time I have been actually looking in my BIOS and I found
this CPU Speed setting. Currently it is at 100mhz/100 or something
like that. But I can change it all the way up to 133mhz/133 I belive.
Should I change this setting? Just asking because I'm not familiar
with BIOS settings and I don't want to screw anything up.

Also I noticed a setting called DRAM Timing. Mine was set at
"normal", but I had options of fast and ultra fast. Should I change
this as well?

Thanks for the help on these issues.
Old July 5th 03, 06:51 AM
Jeff N.

If you even need to ask those questions, than you are better off to leave
them well alone. Overclocking your CPU can make your computer unbootable
and/or simply fry your CPU.

Old July 5th 03, 08:16 AM
Martin

"David Mills" wrote in message
m...
For the first time I have been actually looking in my BIOS and I found
this CPU Speed setting. Currently it is at 100mhz/100 or something
like that. But I can change it all the way up to 133mhz/133 I belive.
Should I change this setting? Just asking because I'm not familiar
with BIOS settings and I don't want to screw anything up.

Also I noticed a setting called DRAM Timing. Mine was set at
"normal", but I had options of fast and ultra fast. Should I change
this as well?

Thanks for the help on these issues.

The BIOS setting of 100/100 is to set the FSB for your CPU to 100MHz and
your RAM speed to 100MHz.
Unless you have a CPU that is supposed to run at a FSB of 133MHz then leave
it set to 100MHz.
And likewise, unless you have RAM that is rated to run at 133MHz then leave
your RAM set to 100MHz.

AMD Durons and older Athlons used an FSB of 100MHz - newer Athlons use an
FSB of 133MHz or higher.

Post again with details of your motherboard and CPU for more detail.

Martin.

Old July 5th 03, 01:06 PM
Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

So far, Jeff N has the most correct answer!

Obviously, you don't know anything about the bios. You can turn your
computer into a boat anchor! If you really feel that you MUST play in this
area, I suggest you visit some of the overclocking web sites and lurk in
their forums. Learn about the pit falls that exist.

Old July 5th 03, 09:18 PM
billy_bat

A good place to start is
http://www.hyperformance-pc.com/overclocking_faq.htm All the basics are
there, read, learn, and see how fast you can go.
(I've never fried a cpu from overclocking, usually the worst that happens is
that you have to reset the bios.)

--
Good Luck!
BB

proud member of www.thegenomecollective.com

Old July 6th 03, 06:04 PM
James Keith

So, why do you think he is in this forum to begin with? He obviously knows
his limits and is here searching for knowledge. If you' re not willing to
share what you know, then you should refrain from wasting bandwidth and
leave.

"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" wrote in
message ...

Old July 6th 03, 07:47 PM
Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

As I said, AH, there are MUCH BETTER sites to learn the knowledge about
bios. About 80% of what is posted about bios on this site is just plain
wrong!