PNY GeForce 6200 having memory address conflict on older DIY machine

Old December 6th 05, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default PNY GeForce 6200 having memory address conflict on older DIY machine

Already have a message to PNY tech support, but throwing this out there...

System Info:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7IX
CPU: AMD Athlon 700 (Socket A)
OS: Windows 98SE with all patches
VC: GeForce 2 GTS (Creative's, I believe)

Received an early Christmas present of an NEC MultiSync flat panel monitor, and
since the picture output is greatly improved by a DVI connection,
I though to upgrade to a GeForce 6200--mainly because they were on sale after
Thanksgiving at CompUSA--and went about installing it on a clean system without
any nVidia drivers yet installed (rebuilding from a hardware failure and
experiencing the joys of reinstallation).

Now, as I understand it, my mobo is considered AGP 1.0, having a maximum
support of AGP 2X, and the minimum prereq for the 6200 (realized in hindsight
after purchase) is an AGP 2.0 compliant mobo. So, with the 6200 already out of
the package, I thought it wouldn't work with the board, but the shape of the
connector region is exactly the same as my GeForce 2, so I thought I'd give it a
whirl.

After many attempts, I found that the 6200 has a memory address conflict
with my system's ACPI bios that runs PCI to IRQ steering. Two fairly large
chunks of memory that make it impossible to a) load any other drivers, nVidia
reference or from the PNY installation CD; and b) even run the card in standard
PCI display adapter (VGA) mode without the message popping up at boot that the
display adapter has a memory conflict with another system component.

The 6200 is trying to use the following memory ranges:

000A0000 - 000AFFFF
000B0000 - 000BFFFF
000C0000 - 000CEBFF
00000000 - 00FFFFFF
00000000 - 0FFFFFFF
00000000 - 0001FFFF

The conflict is with the last three address sets, since blocks within that
range are used by the ACPI bios.

My current GeForce 2 GTS card shares the same IRQ with two instances of
the above-stated ACPI bios (IRQ 3), but the memory address ranges used by this VC
are different enough that they obviously don't cause a conflict. Just for
comparison, below are the memory address ranges used by the GeForce 2 GTS VC:

000A0000 - 000AFFFF
000B0000 - 000BFFFF
000C0000 - 000C97FF
E4000000 - E4FFFFFF
D8000000 - DFFFFFFF
E5000000 - E500FFFF

I'm guessing that the choice of the 6200 was my bad, and that the above
memory conflict is due to my older mobo (a new machine is in the works, but the
funds aren't there yet) and its AGP 1.0 slot. If not, then is this particular
VC defective? I'm waiting for word from PNY tech support for the definitive
word, but I thought I see what other nVidia card users might have for other
info. Also, if the 6200 is indeed beyond my mobo, I would appreciate any
recommendations for a compatible nVidia card with a DVI out.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Purrs --
--
/\ /\ | "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats,
^o o^ D.K. "Cat" Kraft | for they are subtle and will **** on
Old December 7th 05, 07:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

With patience akin to a cat's, D. K. Kraft, on 12/6/05 12:39 PM typed:
[...]

[snipped memory address info]

I just received word from PNY, and, quoting their message:

"...unfortunately all PNY graphic cards do not work in a agp
1.0 slot, it has to be at least a 2.0 slot. Sorry for the
inconvenience and have a nice day."

So, my bad in trying the 6200. Fair enough. But it appears that PNY
doesn't offer anything at all that will run on my Gigabyte GA-7IX mobo, and the
question thus still stands: what videocard with DVI out is available for an
AGP 1.0 mainboard?

I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations, since I gather from the
above that even the GeForce FX series is out of my league. What about the
GeForce 4 family? They're hard to find, but I'd be willing to hunt for one.
Thanks once more in advance for any replies.

Purrs --

Old December 18th 05, 09:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

D. K. Kraft schrieb:

I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations, since I gather from the
above that even the GeForce FX series is out of my league. What about the
GeForce 4 family? They're hard to find, but I'd be willing to hunt for
one.

A Geforce FX will do, but there are some few models that have an AGP
connector that lacks the AGP2x...

If you just need DVI then get Radeon 7000 or a GF4MX which are extremely
cheap and will do fine for you...

Benjamin
Old December 20th 05, 10:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

D. K. Kraft wrote:
[...]

replace your mother board and upgrade or be happy with what you have.