Can't change CPU multiplier Atholn 2600+

Old January 9th 04, 12:39 AM
Mark_H

Default Can't change CPU multiplier Atholn 2600+

Hi,
I can't change Multiplier. I have Athlon 2600+ Thoroughbred and MSI
MS-6712 Chip VIA KT-400 and 2700DDR ( 512MB module ). My CPU is
showing Athlon 2600+ at the post. Windows shows Athlon 2600+ at
1.95Ghz. I tried to change multiplier from 11.5 to 12.5, but it does
not make the change. It still shows as above. Even changing multiplier
to 12 does not work.
With multiplier set as 12.5 I will get 2.08GHz at FBS 166 MHz.
Please share your knowledge. What should I do ? May be it has
something to do with the Voltage ? I have my voltage set to AUTO and I
am not sure if is it save to change that.
Thanks for your, time.
Mark ( London )
Old January 9th 04, 04:04 AM
Icrashrc

this is a joke....right?

Hi,
I can't change Multiplier. I have Athlon 2600+ Thoroughbred and MSI
MS-6712 Chip VIA KT-400 and 2700DDR ( 512MB module ). My CPU is
showing Athlon 2600+ at the post. Windows shows Athlon 2600+ at
1.95Ghz. I tried to change multiplier from 11.5 to 12.5, but it does
not make the change. It still shows as above. Even changing multiplier
to 12 does not work.
With multiplier set as 12.5 I will get 2.08GHz at FBS 166 MHz.
Please share your knowledge. What should I do ? May be it has
something to do with the Voltage ? I have my voltage set to AUTO and I
am not sure if is it save to change that.
Thanks for your, time.
Mark ( London )

remove my-wife to reply :-)
Old January 9th 04, 06:51 AM
katt

"Icrashrc" -wife wrote in message
this is a joke....right?

Hi,
I can't change Multiplier. I have Athlon 2600+ Thoroughbred and MSI
MS-6712 Chip VIA KT-400 and 2700DDR ( 512MB module ). My CPU is
showing Athlon 2600+ at the post. Windows shows Athlon 2600+ at
1.95Ghz. I tried to change multiplier from 11.5 to 12.5, but it does
not make the change. It still shows as above. Even changing multiplier
to 12 does not work.
With multiplier set as 12.5 I will get 2.08GHz at FBS 166 MHz.
Please share your knowledge. What should I do ? May be it has
something to do with the Voltage ? I have my voltage set to AUTO and I
am not sure if is it save to change that.
Thanks for your, time.
Mark ( London )

remove my-wife to reply :-)

Smile :-)
I liked that.
Newer AMD's you can't change the multiplier, well.
I think you can, but I'm not sure.
But you would have to mod your AMD to be able to do it.
If you really want to Overclock it, just turn up your FSB, and be sure you
have enough cooling.
Denny :-)

Old January 9th 04, 07:42 PM
Mark_H

This what I don't understand.
I have MSI MS-6712 Main Boars and ADM ATHLON 2600+ Thoroughbred CPU (
at least this is what I have ordered )
The CPU is running only at 1.95GHz. when in BIOS the clock is set to
166 MHZ. If I try to set up higher speed clock in BIOS, the machine
will not boot-up at all. I need to take out the CMOS battery and
re-start the machine from default settings in BIOS.
Friend of mine, has the same MS-6712 board as me and ATHLON 2400+ CPU.
His Athlon 2400+ is running at 2.0GHZ when BIOS is set to 133MHz. My
CPU when BIOS is set to 133MHz is detected as "Athlon 2000+ " and it
is running at 1.52 GHz. Why my CPU which cost more money is slower
then his ? I tried to change CPU multiplier from x 11.5 to x 12.5 as
it should be, but I cannot !!!! Why ? As I understand from other
sources the Athlon 2600+ Thoroughbred should work OK with FBS 166MHz
multiplied by 12.5 and it should give clock speed 2.08GHz.
Furthermore, I checked my CPU with CPU-Z diagnostic software and it
shows my CPU as Athlon "BARTON". Why ? Was I supplied with a wrong CPU
? My machine with "better" CPU and 512 MB DDR runs slower then
friend's machine, when he's got slower processor and only 256MB DDR
Ram. The difference is clearly noticeable when I run "processor
sensitive" applications like Corel Graphic Suite or even MS Office XP.
Both machines were tested with the same operating system Win XP pro
with SP1.
Mark ( London )

Old January 9th 04, 08:06 PM
Noozer

"Mark_H" wrote in message
om...
This what I don't understand.
I have MSI MS-6712 Main Boars and ADM ATHLON 2600+ Thoroughbred CPU (
at least this is what I have ordered )
The CPU is running only at 1.95GHz. when in BIOS the clock is set to
166 MHZ. If I try to set up higher speed clock in BIOS, the machine
will not boot-up at all. I need to take out the CMOS battery and
re-start the machine from default settings in BIOS.
Friend of mine, has the same MS-6712 board as me and ATHLON 2400+ CPU.
His Athlon 2400+ is running at 2.0GHZ when BIOS is set to 133MHz.

You bought into AMD's trickery...

2600+ does not mean that it has a faster clock than a 2400+.

2600+ means that it does the same amount of work (supposedly) that an
original AMD Thunderbird would do at 2600Mhz. By optimizing the chip and
increasing cache sizes, the slower clocked chip should be able to do more
work with less clocks.

Try running some benchmarks on your computer and an your friends computer
and compare the differences.

Old January 9th 04, 08:47 PM
Thomas

Mark_H wrote:
I have MSI MS-6712 Main Boars and ADM ATHLON 2600+ Thoroughbred CPU (
at least this is what I have ordered )

snip

Furthermore, I checked my CPU with CPU-Z diagnostic software and it
shows my CPU as Athlon "BARTON". Why ? Was I supplied with a wrong CPU

Yes, you have the latest Athlon core, the 'Barton', instead of the previous
version, the thoroughbred. The Barton has twice the L2 cache the
thoroughbred has (512 kbyte instead of just 256). This means, that it is
faster at the same clockspeed, hence the higher Performance Rating at a
lower clockspeed. Whether it actually IS faster than your friends 2400+, i
dont know... What IS a main point, is that this core will probably overclock
better, so by changing the FSB you can achieve a higher clockspeed. (though
you dont have the best mobo for overclocking, i think...)

Thomas.

Old January 9th 04, 10:13 PM
chris

"Mark_H" wrote in message

Hi,
I can't change Multiplier. I have Athlon 2600+ Thoroughbred and MSI
MS-6712 Chip VIA KT-400 and 2700DDR ( 512MB module ). My CPU is
showing Athlon 2600+ at the post. Windows shows Athlon 2600+ at
1.95Ghz. I tried to change multiplier from 11.5 to 12.5, but it does
not make the change. It still shows as above. Even changing multiplier
to 12 does not work.
With multiplier set as 12.5 I will get 2.08GHz at FBS 166 MHz.
Please share your knowledge. What should I do ? May be it has
something to do with the Voltage ? I have my voltage set to AUTO and I
am not sure if is it save to change that.
Thanks for your, time.
Mark ( London )

You have bought a newer 'Barton' core xp chip. most, if not all, chips made
after week 38-40 seem to be multiplier locked and at the moment no one has
figured how to unlock them 'easily'. The only real (or easy) way of
overclocking these locked chips is by upping the fsb, this is 166 on yours
now I presume? You say it boots at 12.5 so it may not be locked.

The problem is your ram, it is pc2700 which is only rated to 166mhz (or
333DDR). Anything above this is a BONUS, performance for free!! If you had
bought pc3200 that would/should! be stable upto 200Mhz fsb (400DDR). This
would give you room to manouvre above your current 333DDR fsb ceiling. The
chip is easily good for running at 400DDR (which would make it run at the
same speed as an athlon xp3200+). Ive had mine running at 12 x 205 since I
fitted it.

Try upping your fsb from 166. I think you maybe able to reach 175-180,
depending on the quality of your ram and whether or not you have a 1:5 clock
divider in the bios. As you up your fsb you will be slowly increasing your
pci and agp clocks, soon they start getting unstable. The Nforce2 boards
let you lock the pci/agp clocks so they are constant whatever your fsb.

You really need good quality PC3200 to get the best out of your chip. After
that it maybe you motherboard holding you up! It all depends on what the
overclock is worth to you. Your pc running as std with a clean install of
os (xp?) should easily be as fast as a 2.6 p4 (uh oh, flamers!!)

Like I said I think 175-180 is a good target to aim for, that would give you
2012 to 2070mhz on 11.5 and upto 2250mhz on 12.5. Keep a very good eye on
your cpu temp though

chris uk

Old January 10th 04, 05:15 AM
callsignviper

"Mark_H" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I can't change Multiplier. I have Athlon 2600+ Thoroughbred and MSI
MS-6712 Chip VIA KT-400 and 2700DDR ( 512MB module ). My CPU is
showing Athlon 2600+ at the post. Windows shows Athlon 2600+ at
1.95Ghz. I tried to change multiplier from 11.5 to 12.5, but it does
not make the change. It still shows as above. Even changing multiplier
to 12 does not work.
With multiplier set as 12.5 I will get 2.08GHz at FBS 166 MHz.
Please share your knowledge. What should I do ? May be it has
something to do with the Voltage ? I have my voltage set to AUTO and I
am not sure if is it save to change that.

Simplest answer: Your CPU's multiplier is probably locked and your RAM is
too slow for decent overclocking.

Solution: Get at least PC3200 high quality ram and then you should be able
to achieve 200 FSB at the locked multiplier setting.

Once you fix your RAM situation I suspect your system will kick your
friend's system all over the place............but not until then. :-((

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.