GeForce4 Ti4400 and Ti4600 ViVo

Old July 24th 03, 05:47 AM
James

Default GeForce4 Ti4400 and Ti4600 ViVo

a tom's hardware guide says the vivo on these cards it ****, have they fixed
it with new drivers? (this review is over a year old)

"ViVo and Image Quality

In our last roundup of 21 GeForce3 Ti cards, we criticized the poor
TV-output offered by these boards. Unfortunately, this situation has not
improved with the GeForce4 family. As before, a black border frames the
output on PAL TVs. The reason is that NVIDIA's drivers still offer no
overscan options for changing the output size, even though the encoder chips
found on the cards would support such a feature. Also, the output quality
isn't on par with what we're used to seeing from notebook chips, for
example. At least the GeForce4 Ti boards can now output images to both the
monitor and the TV simultaneously using different refresh rates, thanks to
the second RAMDAC. Again, nView comes in very handy in this mode. "

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...0_4600-02.html

Old July 25th 03, 12:52 AM
Sir Al

"James" none wrote:

a tom's hardware guide says the vivo on these cards it ****, have they
fixed
it with new drivers? (this review is over a year old)

I believe so, I have an MSI Geforce4 Ti4200, and the TV output is superb
quality, the color balance on the tv is even better than on my monitor,
same with the brightness.

I read several reviews on my card and they said that TV out was exceptional,
as well, compared to older Geforce3 models, etc.

As with video-in, I cannot say, but I've heard/read positive things. It's
not for professional video editting, but it should suffice. I use an MSI
TV anywhere for capturing and it's quality is splendid compared to older
generation TV capture cards.
Old July 26th 03, 09:08 AM
tq96

I believe so, I have an MSI Geforce4 Ti4200, and the TV output is
superb quality, the color balance on the tv is even better than on my
monitor, same with the brightness.

It's a YMMV situation for GF4 owners. The TV-Out quality on my Gainward TI
4400 card is terrible. NVidia has left support for overscan out for the
chip on this card (it's the first generation Philips VIVO chip) and the
picture quality isn't that good at all. I've been very disappointed and
have had to stick with the Chrontel NTSC encoder that's on my old Pure3D
card.

I hear that the FX cards have native TV-out support and that it's much
improved.

As for video in, I've found it to be a nice bonus to be able to capture
analog video.