upgrade board for socket 478 to L775 socket?

Old March 8th 06, 01:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default upgrade board for socket 478 to L775 socket?

In article , "ajb"
wrote:

This is just an inquiry. (Theoretically Speaking)

Since the Asus P5P800SE is a chipset (865e) based very closely to the
(875p)chipset found in our beloved P4c800 dlx.... why can't there be an
add-on board or socket expansion (rememebr the Asus slocket?) that will
allow us to upgrade to faster Intel chips???? I know Asus has managed to
tweak core voltages in the CT-479 to accept Pentium mobile chips--so why not
the L775-940 series packages? Opinions? Thanks.

Asus P4c800 dlx
P4 3.2E
Ati x800xl AGP
2 Gig OCZ 400 DDR
2 Maxtors sata 120 G dimax9's
SB Xfi Fatal1ty 1
Sony DVD-rw
Bose Compaion series3
Standard intel fan

When I did a quick comparison of S478 and LGA775 a while ago,
I didn't see big differences between the two of them, in terms
of functions. The LGA775 has more pins to carry power, and if
you tried to stick a high end LGA775 device into the S478 socket,
perhaps getting the necessary current to the processor would be
one of the challenges. Imagine getting 80 amps to flow up through
the socket, with minimal impact on supply inductance.

I didn't bother to check VRM specs and load lines, but perhaps
that would be another issue.

How would you get BIOS support for the upgrade ? Would the
BIOS misbehave when an LGA775 is seen ?

Shoehorning a 35W processor, onto a higher power processor platform
was probably pretty easy for Asus. Placing a higher power
platform onto a lower power motherboard would not be quite as easy.
Perhaps if you could put a three or eight phase regulator right on
the adapter, along with the socket, work out a cooling solution
when this thick "sandwich" is loaded into a socket, you could get
it to work. (The Asrock solution, of adding an upgrade socket
to their motherboard, is another way to implement an upgradable
motherboard. I bet they haven't sold many upgrade adapters.)

Asus probably did the CT-479, as part of a marketing survey, to
determine if there was a market for Pentium-M motherboards. After
all, making new motherboards would be more profitable than making
a cheap adapter for the users.

I am kinda surprised that companies like Powerleap and Upgradeware
have been silent lately. Perhaps the R&D versus profit just isn't
there for adapters ? Or perhaps the implementation details are a
little too much to be done cheaply.

Paul
Old March 8th 06, 03:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Hey Paul, thanks for you technical perspective. I hope the Powerleap gang
jump all over this one. It would be nice to slap a dual core 900 series in
my trusty P4c800 dx.(just dreaming I guess).

Old March 8th 06, 09:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

ajb wrote:
Hey Paul, thanks for you technical perspective. I hope the Powerleap gang
jump all over this one. It would be nice to slap a dual core 900 series in
my trusty P4c800 dx.(just dreaming I guess).

I doubt they will as the price for the adapter will cost more than the
cost of a new motherboard. I purchased one of Powerleap's adapters for
the Pentium 3 but I was placing it in a P2B-S motherboard which would
have required a lot more to replace than the price of the adapter and
new CPU. And with the announcements for new Pentiums later this year
they would have to make it work with them also or have a very short
production run.

Old March 9th 06, 10:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On a side note----look at the longevity of the P2b (BX chipset). I've also
got a 1ghz P3-processor (asus slocket) in this old pentium 2 class
motherboard and I swear that it still works like a charm and seems speedier
that my P4-3.2E sometimes. Now that board had a great upgrade path from a
lowly PII-300 (remember those?) to a P3-1GHZ. Come on Asus ... do your
thing for the P4C800 series.!!! Let's see an upgrade to Dual Core or at
least faster single core processors.

"Michael W. Ryder" wrote in message
ajb wrote:
Hey Paul, thanks for you technical perspective. I hope the Powerleap
gang jump all over this one. It would be nice to slap a dual core 900
series in my trusty P4c800 dx.(just dreaming I guess).

I doubt they will as the price for the adapter will cost more than the
cost of a new motherboard. I purchased one of Powerleap's adapters for
the Pentium 3 but I was placing it in a P2B-S motherboard which would have
required a lot more to replace than the price of the adapter and new CPU.
And with the announcements for new Pentiums later this year they would
have to make it work with them also or have a very short production run.