ATI chipset + ATI GPU _or_ nForce chipset + nVidia GPU --Which combination performs better?

Old January 30th 06, 04:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt

Default ATI chipset + ATI GPU _or_ nForce chipset + nVidia GPU --Which combination performs better?

Yes, this WAS the case. But now Asus has launched the A8R-MVP. It has the
Crossfire chipset, but now combined with the ULi M1575 southbridge!! Check
it out he

http://www.asus.com/products3.aspx?l...sFire%E2%84%A2

This mainboard is the highest overclocker at Anandtech, check out this text:
" The most important thing that the Asus A8R-MVP brings us, however, is not
the competitive USB and SATA2 capabilities - they are just icing on the
cake. The A8R-MVP is a monster of an overclocker "

The whole article:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2617

This board has switched me over from looking just at SLI mainboards. It's
twice cheaper than the top-of-the-line SLI's, but overclocks better...
DROOL!

I'm just trying to figure out Crossfire. The first reports were that you
could combine any two PCI-Express cards, but this doesnt work, i think.

Hmm, I was looking into getting one of these for a second home machine
over the weekend, and, it looks like there is more than the usual amount
of grumbling out the

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=1789692

http://stores.tomshardware.com/ratin...28/id_type=M//

http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/u...4;t=000091;p=0

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=7974

And, I do like the user reviews on Newegg: must read them with grains
of salt on hand, but, I have found them to be pretty accurate over the
years. Board is not a favorite:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Custra...82E16813131584

While the 'new and different' are always interesting and appealing, when
it comes to chipsets it seems to me that an older and more mainstream
solution is preferable....let someone else work out all the bugs.

For about the same price: Asus A8N-e, or A8N5X; can get $5 Zalman
northbridge cooler, and install that before motherboard goes in, to
eliminate the noisy northbridge fan.

The ATI chipset seems to me analogous to a British car: you can expect
to have a few problems with it. Intel chipset: Honda. Nvidia: Toyota.

HTH,

BC
Old January 30th 06, 09:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt

BC wrote:

....snip...

The ATI chipset seems to me analogous to a British car: you can expect
to have a few problems with it. Intel chipset: Honda. Nvidia: Toyota.

VBG
I hadnt realized that 'Lucas' also made mobo chip_sets .

Interesting.

I never had an MGB gas tank fire I couldnt survive.

Qed.
Old January 31st 06, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

0_Qed wrote:
BC wrote:

...snip...

The ATI chipset seems to me analogous to a British car: you can expect
to have a few problems with it. Intel chipset: Honda. Nvidia: Toyota.

VBG
I hadnt realized that 'Lucas' also made mobo chip_sets .

Interesting.

I never had an MGB gas tank fire I couldnt survive.

Lucas: the Prince of Darkness.

I still own a 1967 MGB. Needs a bit of work, as you might expect.

Never had a gas tank fire....did get the worst shock of my life when I
was working on distributor cap wire that sensed I was in a hurry
(driving someone to airport), and had therefore melted while driving on
the freeway....