Giga-byte=kingmax pc3500 mememory settings problem...

Old March 20th 04, 07:34 PM
phil

Default Giga-byte=kingmax pc3500 mememory settings problem...

hello again.
i read-up on the settings for the ram and used cpu-z to view current
and default settings, then changed to 4-4-7 2.5cl and set manual at
200mhz
and voltage 2.6v-it booted and stayed at 200=400mhz with just the tiny
bootup beep and ran very stable but when booting up today there was one
long beep and no boot just more beeps every now and then,i could not cold
reset nor hard rest, i had to power down and remover battery to clear
cmos
and reboot with default settings and all went well but still at 333mhz
settings, i re-configured bios at above settings and there was one long
beep and then a small normal beep but the thing booted, does anyone know
whats going on or do i have to keep it on 24/7/365.
the default setting for the kingmax pc3500 is 2.6v but giga-byte sets it
at 2.5v default and 333 instead of 400 but kingmax is backward compat at
333 and 400 but is 433. if set to 333 and 2.5v all is well but i want it
at 2.6v and 200/400 as that is what it should be and it will not boot at
200/400 and 2.5v 4-4-7 only 2.6v 4-4-7 2.5cl...
set at 4-4-8 2.5cl-2.6v at 200mhz which is what i read as the default of
the kingmax pc3500 at 200mhz it does not want to boot either.
all because i tested my mates grfx card out all was well before then at
200/400 without mucking about in the bios.
sorry this is long but i have to explain.
phil.

AWARD BIOS Beep Codes
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long 1 short: DRAM or M/B error===this seems to be the beeps but it
boots after second short beep??????
1 long 2 short: Monitor or display card error
1 long 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: DRAM error===this was the error and no boot...
Continuous short beeps: Power error
Old March 20th 04, 08:33 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 18:34:59 +0000, phil wrote:

the default setting for the kingmax pc3500 is 2.6v but giga-byte sets it
at 2.5v default and 333 instead of 400 but kingmax is backward compat at
333 and 400 but is 433. if set to 333 and 2.5v all is well but i want it
at 2.6v and 200/400 as that is what it should be and it will not boot at
200/400 and 2.5v 4-4-7 only 2.6v 4-4-7 2.5cl...
set at 4-4-8 2.5cl-2.6v at 200mhz which is what i read as the default of
the kingmax pc3500 at 200mhz it does not want to boot either.
all because i tested my mates grfx card out all was well before then at
200/400 without mucking about in the bios.

Try CL3 instaed of 2.5

Old March 20th 04, 10:45 PM
phil

Wes Newell wrote in
newsan.2004.03.20.19.34.01.892847@TAKEOUTverizon .net:

just tried it but it will not boot unless set to giga-byte default
at 2.5v-333-CL3 not 400 with the same timings 4-4-8 or 4-4-7...

Try CL3 instaed of 2.5

Old March 25th 04, 11:01 PM
Ben Pope

phil wrote:
hello again.
i read-up on the settings for the ram and used cpu-z to view current
and default settings, then changed to 4-4-7 2.5cl and set manual at
200mhz
and voltage 2.6v-it booted and stayed at 200=400mhz with just the tiny
bootup beep and ran very stable but when booting up today there was one
long beep and no boot just more beeps every now and then,i could not cold
reset nor hard rest, i had to power down and remover battery to clear
cmos
and reboot with default settings and all went well but still at 333mhz
settings, i re-configured bios at above settings and there was one long
beep and then a small normal beep but the thing booted, does anyone know
whats going on or do i have to keep it on 24/7/365.

Damn longest sentence I ever saw, fortunately I could breath at the commas
:-p

Random problems on power on, you say? I say marginal PSU.

the default setting for the kingmax pc3500 is 2.6v but giga-byte sets it
at 2.5v default and 333 instead of 400 but kingmax is backward compat at
333 and 400 but is 433. if set to 333 and 2.5v all is well but i want it
at 2.6v and 200/400 as that is what it should be and it will not boot at
200/400 and 2.5v 4-4-7 only 2.6v 4-4-7 2.5cl...
set at 4-4-8 2.5cl-2.6v at 200mhz which is what i read as the default of
the kingmax pc3500 at 200mhz it does not want to boot either.
all because i tested my mates grfx card out all was well before then at
200/400 without mucking about in the bios.
sorry this is long but i have to explain.
phil.

Perhaps the added strain from the graphics card tipped the PSU over the
edge.

What happens if you pull out the drives you don't need? (opticals), use only
on stick of RAM and pull out the PCI cards you don't need? Does it boot
better then?

Can you get into the BIOS and see the voltages? Are they sane? i.e., ±5%
of spec (5V no lower than 4.75V, etc). Tell us your minimum voltages.

Ben

Old March 30th 04, 06:18 PM
phil

thanks it seemed to be the power supply
the 5+volt was way down, another power supply
worked a treat.
thanks for the help.