Can't enable Direct3D acceleration.

Old July 27th 05, 10:24 PM
JMI

Default Can't enable Direct3D acceleration.

Hello,

I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what happened
but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run Unreal
Tournament 2004 I get the message:

"Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting dxdiag
and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after installing
DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."

None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to the
Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
unavailable.

I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
card.

I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old July 28th 05, 12:30 AM
JMI

Here are my system specs:

2.8 Ghz Dell Dimension 4500
1 Gig of RAM
1 36Gig Western Digtial Raptor 10,000 RPM drive
1 250Gig Maxtor 7200RPM w/16mb cache
1 8x Sony DVD-RW
1 Lite-On 52X CD-RW
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
256MB Sapphire 9600XT

I've got the latest motherboard chipset installed. I've had this card for
over a year and I've never had this happen. I'm not using "the latest" ATI
drivers since ATI recommends having Service Pack 2 installed (which I do
not).

I don't understand why all of a sudden I would loose 3D acceleration
capability when its worked fine without having to do anything special for
well over a year.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
[...]

Do you have the agp driver for whatever chipset your MB is running
installed? It would help if you gave more information about your
hardware setup.

Bill

Old July 28th 05, 01:26 AM
Bill

In article ,
says...

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Top posting fixed.

[...]

If I understand you correctly, you had 3d acceleration on your system
then lost it and it won't re-install.

Do you know what motherboard is used in your system?
Manufacturer/model?

What was the last software/hardware that you installed before your
systems 3D crapped out?

Have you tried doing a system restore to a known good previous
configuration?

Other problems that come to mind: corrupted files, virus,
adware/spyware/malware.

De-install the drivers/software before re-installing them.
Do this as Administrator.

Run Ad-Aware,
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/Spybot
Search and Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html , and a virus
checker with current virus definitions. Avast and AVG are free for
personal use AVG http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
Avast http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html .

Why have you not installed WinXP Service pack 2?

Please don't top post. It makes it hard for people to follow the flow
of the post when they are looking for answers in a Google search of
Usenet.

Bill

Old July 28th 05, 07:40 PM
LM

Hi. This maybe a bit far fetched, but what about your system cache
settings. (swap file)
I once got this kind of problem when I increasead system cache to 2G.
Ati writes about problems with large memory in some display driver
readme's, maybe this is it.

Now my system cache is about 1533M

My machine:
Xp pro sp2
Ati club 9800 pro 128
1G ram
3 hard drives

LM

Old July 28th 05, 11:07 PM
First of One

I get this problem whenever I update my Catalyst drivers, but it goes away
after two reboots.

Go to Start - Run and type "services.msc". Make sure the process ATISmart
is set to "automatic"

Old July 28th 05, 11:14 PM
Shawk

"JMI" wrote in message

I've got the latest motherboard chipset installed.

Have you reinstalled them recently? Particularly the AGP chipset ones? If
not do that and report back. Also reinstall DirectX

Old October 4th 05, 09:47 PM
Shawk

"galrumbak" wrote in message
news:7_316845_ba59ce40f7b919bd607c18cb49f332c8@har dwareforumz.com...
"" wrote:
[...]

I have the same problem - all the accleration in dxdiag are N/A
more over we have the exact same card - sapphire reddon 9600 xt 256mb,

well if you did manege to fix this please contact me - I have been
fighting this for a mounth with no sucess.

Gal

galrumbak RemoveThis @yahoo.com

This normally means you have to re-install your mobo drivers...

Old October 10th 05, 11:17 AM
Jeff Ingram

Miraculously, all I did was reinstall the video drivers one more time and
that seems to have fixed it except I think there is a problem with 2D
acceleration. I have no problem playing games like Unreal Tournament 2004
and getting 60+ frames per second, but I've notice that anytime I drag a
window (any window) around the screen my CPU usage spikes. So I think it's
only sorta fix.......(?)

Jeff

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's

request
Topic URL:

http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-en...pict59591.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=316845

Old October 10th 05, 01:55 PM
patrickp

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:17:44 -0400, "Jeff Ingram"
wrote:

Miraculously, all I did was reinstall the video drivers one more time and
that seems to have fixed it except I think there is a problem with 2D
acceleration. I have no problem playing games like Unreal Tournament 2004
and getting 60+ frames per second, but I've notice that anytime I drag a
window (any window) around the screen my CPU usage spikes. So I think it's
only sorta fix.......(?)

Jeff

snjp

Sounds like you need to go to Display Properties - Effects and
deselect Show window contents while dragging, Jeff.

Patrick

- take five to email me...