One more HP question

Old August 12th 16, 10:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Thip

Default One more HP question

I actually got Windows reloaded on this stupid HP p6 and it booted, but I'm
convinced the hard drive is failing fast. If I were to make an image of the
boot partition, could I legally restore it onto another drive? This family
can't afford and new drive and a copy of Windows.

Old August 13th 16, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Thip wrote:
I actually got Windows reloaded on this stupid HP p6 and it booted, but
I'm convinced the hard drive is failing fast. If I were to make an
image of the boot partition, could I legally restore it onto another
drive? This family can't afford and new drive and a copy of Windows.

The OEM copy of Windows is a "royalty" copy, for which
HP paid a fee. It is tied to the machine, not to the disk drive.

It activates, using a BIOS SLIC table, and the SLIC
tables says "I'm an HP". The installed OS is an HP
royalty OS, and it looks for that information.

As a consequence, you can move the contents of the OEM
OS to a brand new hard drive, and continue to use the
OS. As long as the drive is inside an HP computer,
one with SLIC activation facility in the BIOS.

The original drive can be used as a data drive, when it is
plugged into your technician computer. Just don't
try to boot from the HP drive, while it is in
your technician computer! That will foul things up.

Copy as quickly as you can, to avoid more surprises.

You can install Reflect Free, then use it to clone
the broken disk to the new disk. Since the program
uses Intelligent copy, it only copies the data
clusters and none of the white-space on the disk.
If 20GB of the 500GB drive are used, only 20GB
are copied. The other 480GB are not copied.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Reflect will do integrity checks, as it
sees fit (for example, it needs to generate an
index of every file on C: ). If it runs into a problem,
it will not copy a volume which has hardware problems.
It only wants to make "perfect" copies of the disk.
So if the copy stops half-way, you've done your
best to do "minimal data movement".

If C: passes CHKDSK currently (quick check, not a
full scan), then that's an encouraging sign that
maybe it'll copy. I don't really like to use
CHKDSK on a flaky volume, unless I have a backup.
And in essence, you're trying to do a backup right
now, by copying it. So just take your best shot,
as all the other alternatives are less-than-pleasant.

*******

You can copy the entire volume in a mechanical
fashion with ddrescue. (See bottom of this page)

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk

The only advantage to that method, is the ability
to try more than once, to copy a disk. If the source
disk is 500GB, the destination must be as large, or
the end of a partition could get snipped off. On each
pass, the program keeps a log file of progress, and
eventually, only the hard-to-copy sectors are left.
(If the first pass gets 1,2,4,5 then on the second pass
it only tries to read sector 3.) As long as the
hard-to-copy sectors are not in a used area of the disk,
they do no harm. After doing such a copy attempt,
you can attempt to use CHKDSK on your technician
computer, to try to put the file system back in a
working state.

In your particular case, I don't see a reason to be
attempting ddrescue. There is probably nothing to be
saved (i.e. this is not a forensic copy situation),
and really all you're trying to do, is a
copy off the 20GB of OS stuff. So just install
Macrium, and get on with doing an intelligent
clone from bad_disk to good_disk.

*******

From the date of release, HP sells replacement OS installation
discs, for three years or so. After a while, the company
no longer stocks replacement media. Using the DVD set,
you can put the HP Royalty OS onto a new hard drive,
as well as a recovery partition. The machine is probably
past the point, of having those DVDs available from HP.
Third-party sellers stock those DVDs, but you have to be
careful that the drivers for the machine would be on the
OS image (to make such an installation seamless).

That's why it's important for the original owner to burn
replacement media, when the message appears on the
screen to do so. Media burned on the machine is a
perfect match for the job. You never know what you're
getting when buying discs from a jobber on the Internet.

On my Acer laptop, a day after I got it, I was prompted
to burn five DVDs, and those contain a factory copy of
the OS for emergencies. One of the discs is a driver disc.
If the laptop drive ever dies, that's how I put the
OS back onto it. After the DVDs are burnt, I rip
them to ISO9660 format, and store the ISOs somewhere
for safe keeping. As the DVDs might be unreadable
when I need them.

That's what a responsible owner is supposed to do,
when prompted by the new computer they bought. A dialog
will appear, asking the operator to burn the discs. Only
one copy of discs can be burned, as a flag is set saying
the media has been burned. (Naturally, the info is
still there, ready to be hacked...)

Paul
Old August 13th 16, 01:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
.[_6_]

On 8/12/2016 4:16 PM, Thip wrote:
I actually got Windows reloaded on this stupid HP p6 and it booted, but
I'm convinced the hard drive is failing fast. If I were to make an
image of the boot partition, could I legally restore it onto another
drive? This family can't afford and new drive and a copy of Windows.

Replacing the motherboard presents a problem, hard drive does not.
I would reimage, then transfer files. Windows 8 can be obtained he
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows8

Use the old product key, if unavailable it can be obtained from the
old drive (even if slaved) with the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder.
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

I like HDD Scan for determining the state of hard drives. Green
icons indicate an absence of issues, yellow can mean problems,
red indicates immediate replacement. http://hddscan.com
Old August 13th 16, 07:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Carpe Diem[_2_]

Op 12-8-2016 om 23:16 schreef Thip:
I actually got Windows reloaded on this stupid HP p6 and it booted, but
I'm convinced the hard drive is failing fast. If I were to make an
image of the boot partition, could I legally restore it onto another
drive? This family can't afford and new drive and a copy of Windows.

Why starting a third thread about the same subject?!

--
Carpe Diem
"Make things as simple as possible,

Old August 14th 16, 03:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Thip

"Paul" wrote in message
Thip wrote:
[...]

From the date of release, HP sells replacement OS installation
[...]

He wasn't responsible and now I'm trying to clean up his doggone mess. I
feel like handing it back to him and telling him to do it himself.
But....I've known him since he was 19, he's an awesome (albeit broke)
person, husband, and father, and I just can't give up. The imaging was a
complete failure. Chances are I've hammered at the drive too much and
caused more problems. Onward....

Old August 14th 16, 03:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Thip

"." wrote in message ...
On 8/12/2016 4:16 PM, Thip wrote:
I actually got Windows reloaded on this stupid HP p6 and it booted, but
I'm convinced the hard drive is failing fast. If I were to make an
image of the boot partition, could I legally restore it onto another
drive? This family can't afford and new drive and a copy of Windows.

Replacing the motherboard presents a problem, hard drive does not.
I would reimage, then transfer files. Windows 8 can be obtained he
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows8

Use the old product key, if unavailable it can be obtained from the
old drive (even if slaved) with the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder.
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

I like HDD Scan for determining the state of hard drives. Green
icons indicate an absence of issues, yellow can mean problems,
red indicates immediate replacement. http://hddscan.com

Excellent, excellent suggestion on retrieving the key. Thanks much. My
guess is HDD Scan will immediately hand me red. Y'all have been a
tremendous help, even if I did start an unnecessary third thread. :-)

Old August 14th 16, 06:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Carpe Diem[_2_]

Op 14-8-2016 om 16:54 schreef Thip:
"Carpe Diem" wrote in message
Op 12-8-2016 om 23:16 schreef Thip:
I actually got Windows reloaded on this stupid HP p6 and it booted, but
I'm convinced the hard drive is failing fast. If I were to make an
image of the boot partition, could I legally restore it onto another
drive? This family can't afford and new drive and a copy of Windows.

Why starting a third thread about the same subject?!

--
Carpe Diem
"Make things as simple as possible,
but not simpler" (Albert Einstein).

Because I could.

You can do a lot, however it's much more logic to continue in the first
thread.
And the way you react will not stimulate people to help you...

Old August 14th 16, 08:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Thip

"Carpe Diem" wrote in message
Op 12-8-2016 om 23:16 schreef Thip:
I actually got Windows reloaded on this stupid HP p6 and it booted, but
I'm convinced the hard drive is failing fast. If I were to make an
image of the boot partition, could I legally restore it onto another
drive? This family can't afford and new drive and a copy of Windows.

Why starting a third thread about the same subject?!

--
Carpe Diem
"Make things as simple as possible,
but not simpler" (Albert Einstein).

Because I could.

You can do a lot, however it's much more logic to continue in the first
thread.
And the way you react will not stimulate people to help you...

--
Carpe Diem
"Make things as simple as possible,
but not simpler" (Albert Einstein).

And the way YOU react does not stimulate me to listen to you. That was your
logic. I used mine.

Old August 15th 16, 05:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Carpe Diem[_2_]

Op 14-8-2016 om 21:29 schreef Thip:
"Carpe Diem" wrote in message
Because I could.

You can do a lot, however it's much more logic to continue in the
first thread.
And the way you react will not stimulate people to help you...

--
Carpe Diem
"Make things as simple as possible,
but not simpler" (Albert Einstein).

And the way YOU react does not stimulate me to listen to you. That was
your logic. I used mine.

No one has to listen to me, it's a free world. And I know very well that
you will not...
I only wanted to tell you that yout logic is far from logic.
And I think that there are certain rules when you use newsgroups.
Of course, thats not YOUR problem, isn't it?