P2B98-XV +PII@400MHz vs./or P5AB +AMD K6-II@550MHz?

Old July 13th 03, 08:42 PM
Hans Friedrich

Default P2B98-XV +PII@400MHz vs./or P5AB +AMD K6-II@550MHz?

Hello,

lets do some computerhistory:

Which one performs better:

1. Asus P2B98-XV with Intel PII @ 400 MHz or
2. Asus P5AB with AMD K6-2 @ 550 MHz

both running on 100 MHz FSB

This may look like a silly question, but I don't have either
of the systems for testing on hand and have to give
"remote advice" ....

My "friend Google" did'nt give me a appropiate answer so I hope
some Motherboardhistorians will help me out ... TNX in advance!

Hans
Old July 13th 03, 11:37 PM
R_Supp

If memory serves me right, the AMD K6-2 is AMDs way of saying it is the
equivalent of Intel`s P2, so given that you have 2xP2 chips then the higher
MHZ one is the one to use.

om...

Old July 14th 03, 02:05 AM
Michael J. Apollyon

Check out Tom's benchmark-a-thon...

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/index.html

Old July 14th 03, 06:20 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Hans Friedrich schrieb:

Hello,

lets do some computerhistory:

Which one performs better:

1. Asus P2B98-XV with Intel PII @ 400 MHz or
2. Asus P5AB with AMD K6-2 @ 550 MHz

both running on 100 MHz FSB

This could be a tough question, depending on the applications.

This may look like a silly question, but I don't have either
of the systems for testing on hand and have to give
"remote advice" ....

Do you happen to have any other system specs at hand? The amount of RAM
is important as well, so is the hard drive performance. Also, the P5A-B
is an AT board, while the P2B98-XV should be ATX. A definitive plus for
the BX board should be the absence of any cacheability issues (also,
with the latest 1014 beta 3 BIOS it should be possible to use up to 768
MB of RAM), while the P5A-B may only be able to cache the first 128 MB,
which certainly doesn't help performance when more memory is used
(particularly with a K6-2, which doesn't have any L2 cache of its own).
And then the ALi drivers, which have never been renowned for exceptional
quality. (Particularly the IDE drivers can still give trouble today.) On
the other hand, if one wants to use a better graphics solution than the
integrated ATI chip on the P2B98-XV (looks like a Rage Pro w/ 8 megs of
RAM), it'll be necessary to install a PCI graphics card, where there's
much less choice at higher prices.

Stephan
--
Home: http://jgrossklass.bei.t-online.de/ | Webm.: http://www.i24.com/
PC#6: i440LX, 2xCel300A, 256 MB, 18 GB, ATI AGP 32 MB, 110W