Does USB "connector" = socket or plug or both?

Old February 13th 07, 03:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components
Jon D

Default Does USB "connector" = socket or plug or both?

Can you explain the what the term "connector" refers to?

I would have *guessed* that "connector" refers to bothe the socket and
the plug.

But when I look at a chart of USB plug and socket dimensions
then I see "connector" being used to describe only the socket.

See http://www.us-electronics.com/files/usbconnectors.pdf.

What is the correct usage of the term "connector" with respect to
computers?

Old February 13th 07, 03:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components
contrex

On 13 Feb, 14:07, Jon D wrote:

What is the correct usage of the term "connector" with respect to
computers?

There is no rule. The term can be applied freely to plugs and sockets
depending on the preference of the writer or speaker. Why do you think
that there has to be an officially correct usage? English dictionaries
have been descriptivist for about 150 years. Digital computers are a
comparatively recent development.

Old February 13th 07, 03:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components
Mike T.

"Jon D" wrote in message
Can you explain the what the term "connector" refers to?

I would have *guessed* that "connector" refers to bothe the socket and
the plug.

But when I look at a chart of USB plug and socket dimensions
then I see "connector" being used to describe only the socket.

See http://www.us-electronics.com/files/usbconnectors.pdf.

What is the correct usage of the term "connector" with respect to
computers?

The connector refers to the physical connection. In the case of USB
connectors, it refers to both the plug and the socket that the plug goes
into. If it's being used to refer to the socket only, it might be *assumed*
that the device you are going to use with it has the plug on it
lready. -Dave

Old February 13th 07, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
MC

Jon D wrote:
Can you explain the what the term "connector" refers to?

A connector is either the plug, or the socket, or the combination of
both. it only implies the "device to connect with". It can be freely
used for either plug or socket or both, depending on context.

Old February 13th 07, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components
JAD

connector identifies the type of interface being attached. firewire - USB (mini ,A
,B) -serial- parallel -IDE -SATA -Molex

Old February 13th 07, 05:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components
[email protected]

On Feb 13, 9:07 am, Jon D wrote:
Can you explain the what the term "connector" refers to?

I would have *guessed* that "connector" refers to bothe the socket and
the plug.

But when I look at a chart of USB plug and socket dimensions
then I see "connector" being used to describe only the socket.

Seehttp://www.us-electronics.com/files/usbconnectors.pdf.

What is the correct usage of the term "connector" with respect to
computers?

Like others have said, the nomenclature depends on the application.
Your question is therefore unclear--what do you mean by "socket" and
"plug"?

For this application, find the answer to your question in chapter 6 of
http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_20_05122006.zip
Connector is the generic term; it covers sockets, plugs, receptacles,
etc...

I've used "plug" to mean "the thing that is at the end of a cord", and
"receptacle" to mean "the thing that is mounted in the cabinet", and
"socket" to mean "something at your house, but we don't have any in
the plant".

Of course, when your electrician calls the thing in the cabinet a
"socket" you don't argue with him unless you never want to get any
work done again. Especially since he's probably been doing this for
forty years and will teach you many valuable things if you listen...

Old February 14th 07, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.engineering.
MassiveProng

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:34:26 -0800, "JAD"
Gave us:

connector

All top posting Usenet retards should be ignored until they BONE UP
and learn how to post properly in Usenet.

You are one such retard.

As a side note ALL cross posting retards should be completely
ignored.

Hey, OP, did you not know that cross posting across several ****ing
newsgroups makes you look more stupid than you already do?
Old February 14th 07, 01:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components
MassiveProng

On 13 Feb 2007 08:43:36 -0800, "
Gave us:

Like others have said, the nomenclature depends on the application.
Your question is therefore unclear--what do you mean by "socket" and
"plug"?

In THAT particular case, there IS a standard definition.

The socket is fixed, or attached, and the plug is the moving part, or
part at the end of a cable that gets plugged into the fixed location
socket.

A connector refers to any electrical device or system that allows
two separate segments of a circuit to interconnect with each other.

GODDAMNED OVERTLY STUPID CROSS POSTING ****TARDS!
Old February 14th 07, 05:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

eat my shorts
petty little man...............boo hoo top poster.............wah wah insult insult big
deal!

Old February 14th 07, 03:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.engineering.
You Know Who ~

Ah, a member of the top posting police. Why can't we call be smart like you
are?

"If you make it idiot-proof
They'll make better idiots."

"MassiveProng" wrote in