P2B with WD Raptor - Temperature monitoring?

Old June 7th 05, 09:45 PM
Joe Bleaux

Default P2B with WD Raptor - Temperature monitoring?

Hi All,

I've installed a Western Digital Raptor 36GB on a friend's P2B using a
Promise SATAII 150 TX2plus. The drive is up and running fine - no
problems in that regard. My question is: how do you get a temperature
reading from the Raptor's internal temperature sensor? WD's website
says the temperature "can be read by using some third-party S.M.A.R.T.
monitoring programs." Well, I've tried eight different programs - some
don't even see the drive, the others see the drive, but don't give any
SMART info about it, let alone the temperature.

I called up WD, but they refused to identify any software that works,
and suggested I attach an external temperature probe.

Does anyone know of a utility that will give me the temperature from the
internal sensor? Could the problem be that I'm using the Promise card
for the interface? Help!

Thanks,

Joe
Old June 7th 05, 11:25 PM
blero_

Joe Bleaux - news:MPG.1d0fc372c7e6b503989682@localhost :

I've installed a Western Digital Raptor 36GB on a friend's P2B using a
Promise SATAII 150 TX2plus. The drive is up and running fine - no
problems in that regard. My question is: how do you get a
temperature reading from the Raptor's internal temperature sensor?

With Everest, but I don't use a Promise card with the P2B, and the drive is
a Seagate:
(In the Computer section / Sensor)
http://www.lavalys.com/products/down...?pid=1&lang=en

Old June 8th 05, 11:01 AM
Joe Bleaux

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 00:25:28 +0200, blero_
said...
Joe Bleaux - news:MPG.1d0fc372c7e6b503989682@localhost :

I've installed a Western Digital Raptor 36GB on a friend's P2B using a
Promise SATAII 150 TX2plus. The drive is up and running fine - no
problems in that regard. My question is: how do you get a
temperature reading from the Raptor's internal temperature sensor?

With Everest, but I don't use a Promise card with the P2B, and the drive is
a Seagate:
(In the Computer section / Sensor)
http://www.lavalys.com/products/down...?pid=1&lang=en

Thanks, but that's one of the programs I've already tried. Everest sees
the drive, but the only temperature reading it gives is for the CPU.
Are you running your Seagate off of the onboard IDE, or another
controller? Which one?

I currently have 3 HDs on my friend's system: the Raptor and a Maxtor
80GB ATA-133, both connected to the Promise card, and an old WD 6.4GB
connected to the P2B's onboard IDE.

Below are the programs I've tried with the WD Raptor. All programs saw
the WD 6.4GB on the P2B's onboard IDE, none of them gave complete SMART
info on the Raptor or the Maxtor, and two don't even recognize the
presence of the Raptor or Maxtor - all of which now makes me suspect the
Promise card as the problem.

Program Works w/Raptor (Y/N)
1) ActiveSMART 2.42 N - doesn't see Raptor or Maxtor
2) DiskCheckup 1.1 bld 1003 N - sees Raptor & Maxtor, no info
3) DTemp 1.00 bld 34(RC8) N - sees Raptor & Maxtor, no info
4) Everest 2.01 N - sees Raptor & Maxtor, some info
5) HD Tune 2.10 N - sees Raptor & Maxtor, some info
6) HDD Health 2.1 bld 159 N - sees Raptor & Maxtor, no info
7) HDD Temperature 1.42 SCSI Ed. N - doesn't see temp sensor on any
drive
8) HDD Thermometer 1.3 N - doesn't see Raptor or Maxtor
9) PC Wizard 2005 N - sees Raptor & Maxtor, some info

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe

Old June 8th 05, 07:44 PM
Michael W. Ryder

Joe Bleaux wrote:
[...]

Have you tried Speedfan? The author has an email address on the page
and solicits feedback on the program.
Old June 9th 05, 06:43 AM
Joe Bleaux

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:44:29 GMT, Michael W. Ryder
said...
Joe Bleaux wrote:
[...]

Just tried it now - Still no go. Speedfan doesn't see any drive
connected to the Promise controller.

Joe

Old June 9th 05, 12:38 PM
blero_

Joe Bleaux - news:MPG.1d107dfe4c2760d8989684@localhost :

Are you running your Seagate off of the onboard IDE, or another
controller? Which one?

The onboard IDE controller.
Old June 11th 05, 12:29 AM
Stephan Grossklass

Joe Bleaux schrieb:

Hi All,

I've installed a Western Digital Raptor 36GB on a friend's P2B using a
Promise SATAII 150 TX2plus. The drive is up and running fine - no
problems in that regard. My question is: how do you get a temperature
reading from the Raptor's internal temperature sensor? WD's website
says the temperature "can be read by using some third-party S.M.A.R.T.
monitoring programs." Well, I've tried eight different programs - some
don't even see the drive, the others see the drive, but don't give any
SMART info about it, let alone the temperature.

I take it you run XP SP2 (or S2003)? There were some changes in the
driver stack causing this problem.

Could the problem be that I'm using the Promise card
for the interface?

More precisely, the drivers. Seems Promise has not reacted to the a.m.
change yet and rewritten the drivers -- complain to 'em. (The same
problem has been annoying me on my U100TX2.)

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 250+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W