Call of Duty

Old February 2nd 04, 06:40 AM
DaveL

Default Call of Duty

Hi,

I just thought I'd put in a plug for this game because it is sooo cool.
Maybe I'm late coming to the party but I just got this game yesterday and it
is the best game I have ever played. It's exciting and very fun. If you
get this game you'll forget about waiting for HL2. As a matter of fact, COD
is basically what I was expecting from HL2, but it is here now. I see why
Nvidia decided to bundle it.

Dave

Old February 2nd 04, 09:42 AM
Romano Cule

"DaveL" wrote in message:

If you get this game you'll forget about waiting for HL2. As a matter of

fact, COD
is basically what I was expecting from HL2, but it is here now.

You forget about half life 2 aprox 4 hour how much is needed to finish this
game.

Old February 2nd 04, 01:21 PM
Psi-Tau Paladin

"Romano Cule" wrote in news:bvl68d$b16$1
@ls219.htnet.hr:

You forget about half life 2 aprox 4 hour how much is needed to finish this
game.

About the same. Its like an epic movie at times...

Old February 2nd 04, 02:59 PM
Rick Flair

CoD was a breeze, if it weren't such a pretty game I would probably wouldn't
have finished it.

I don't want to knock the game, because it wasn't bad, just everything in
this game had been done before, they did throw it together pretty well but
still I would only give it 7/10.

RF

Old February 2nd 04, 03:23 PM
Granulated

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:42:38 +0100 "Romano Cule"
meeped :

You forget about half life 2 aprox 4 hour how much is needed to finish this
game.

yep..sweet..but very short

and I wanna turn on the shadows !!!
Old February 2nd 04, 03:25 PM
Flow

Yeah,it's a pretty nice game.
But quickly finished also and the multiplayer part lacks some features from
other online games.
Anyways,nice that you are happy dude.

"Rick Flair" schreef in bericht
able.rogers.com...

Old February 2nd 04, 07:31 PM
Blaedmon

I agree, COD was excellent -with great replay value. For the inevitable
people who always seem to say things like 'oh it was nice but too easy',
etc, I say THEN DONT PLAY IT ON EASY!". Simple. Anyone can finish any game
on easy quickly. Its a war, its hard. Make it hard. Taking on 3 soldiers
each with smg, while being armed with a rifle - you should NOT be able to
dispatch them without going through hell to do it. If you can, you've got it
on easy.
COD is, afterall, a game that looks nice but everything in it HAS been done
before. Personally I agree. But it does it better than most. Within the
confines of a theme of war, COD delivers the atmosphere. The final rush on
Red Square was excellent, as you look across the battlefield amid flying
metal and screams and see all your komerades ducking for cover and generally
trying their best not to become cold meat - the AI, above all, shines. I
just wished the whole game was like that, but I guess thats unrealistic -
since the game and its battles were moddled on real scenerios.

Old February 2nd 04, 09:47 PM
Chocolate

Trying looking back across the Volga about a quarter way up that hill,
watching the scene going on down there, all the time being pinned down by
the Germans.

Or whilst crossing the Volga watch the Stukas cross over the top of your
barge, and then turn off back into the sky.

2003 PC Gaming couldn't be much better than this.

Old February 3rd 04, 10:13 AM
Darthy

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:40:01 -0800, "DaveL"
wrote:

Hi,

I just thought I'd put in a plug for this game because it is sooo cool.
Maybe I'm late coming to the party but I just got this game yesterday and it
is the best game I have ever played. It's exciting and very fun. If you
get this game you'll forget about waiting for HL2. As a matter of fact, COD
is basically what I was expecting from HL2, but it is here now. I see why
Nvidia decided to bundle it.

You're a bit late

I have finished COD some time ago... played it in 1600x1200x32 /
details on max.

I rate the game a 9 or 10 on style, atmosphere, music, sound, game
play. Graphic design is good, considering what they are working
with.

But the game is still nothing more than a Quake3 engine based game.

Map construction and detail limitations are easy to spot (go into
ghost / clipping mode) - it smells of Quake 3. and I doubt a
better game will even come out of such an old gaming engine.

Comparing it to the graphic power of HL2 is funny. Thats like
comparing COD to Quake1. The graphic detail is about 100x higher.

Play UT2003/Unreal2 and you'll see far complex maps and objects and
such - and those games are over a year old.

What COD doesn't have:
- Rag Doll physics (lame in a moden game)
- Huge maps (they're not ass big as they seem, but they've done a
great job making seem that way)
- varience (once you figure a few key patterns on some hard levels -
they are very easy)
- Vec Details - Limited by the engine, the the art team. Compare
these to the liks of Halo.
- Gibs - while the bodys can mount up - this is a bloodless and
gibless war. In games like UT/Quake you get body parts on nasty hits.

COD is a great game... it scared the **** out of me in some areas with
the sound turned up... I mean, I'm thinking "THIS SUCKS TO BE HERE" -
if you were THERE in real life.

I imagine there will be a COD type game next year with a HL2, Doom3 or
UT2004 game engine... oooh yeah.

Oh yeah, I have one thing I'm not happy with about the COD developer
team. These pricks come out to my buddies; gun range - sticking
microphones near their weapons and such. Yep, the sounds you hear
are from the ACTUAL WWII weapons with LIVE AMMO. And these guys get
NOTHING. Credit nope? How about a ****ing Pizza? A few boxes of
AMMO? I pointed out that the developer is paying these guys
thousands to go out and record thier weapons.... I think they can
spare a few hundred dollars for some dam pizza and ammo... or they can
spend a tens of thousands of dollars buying their own damn guns / MGs
/ rifles....

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old February 3rd 04, 03:03 PM
DaveL

When I compared iit to HL2, I was thinking more about the AI and the
interaction with it, not the graphics. But since you bring it up, when and
if HL2 does come out, I dont's think it will look too much better than COD.
Some of you people engage in a little too much Valve worship.

Dave