Fan replacement for PNY Verto GeForce FX5200?

Old November 14th 03, 06:32 AM
Joe Bleaux

Default Fan replacement for PNY Verto GeForce FX5200?

Hi,

After 5 months, the fan on my PNY Verto GeForce FX5200 AGP decided to
start making enough noise so that I can hear it in the next room. Any
recommendations for a fan/heatsink replacement? Or what I can do about
the noisy fan?

Thanks,

Joe
Old November 14th 03, 09:22 AM
Darthy

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:32:16 -0600, Joe Bleaux wrote:

Hi,

After 5 months, the fan on my PNY Verto GeForce FX5200 AGP decided to
start making enough noise so that I can hear it in the next room. Any
recommendations for a fan/heatsink replacement? Or what I can do about
the noisy fan?

If its a type with 2 "tab" like pins holding the fan down, then
replace the fan with another.... or contact PNY for warranty
replacement...

or

Super glue the fan blades to the heatsink so it doesn't spin anymore.
helps with noise very well.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old November 14th 03, 07:40 PM
John Lewis

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:22:39 GMT, Darthy
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:32:16 -0600, Joe Bleaux wrote:

Hi,

After 5 months, the fan on my PNY Verto GeForce FX5200 AGP decided to
start making enough noise so that I can hear it in the next room. Any
recommendations for a fan/heatsink replacement? Or what I can do about
the noisy fan?

If its a type with 2 "tab" like pins holding the fan down, then
replace the fan with another.... or contact PNY for warranty
replacement...

... a joke...............

or

Super glue the fan blades to the heatsink so it doesn't spin anymore.
helps with noise very well.

Funny man.

Try this............

Get hold of Teflon spray-lubricant ( Triflow, Sherwin-Williams Co).
Your local bicycle-shop might have it, failing elsewhere.

Have used it for years on noisy computer fans. Long-term
success. Far superior to oil or WD-40, does not turn into
sticky goo...........

The wear on the bearing of your fan may now be such that
even Triflow doesn't help, but keep it around for the future and
don't delay using it when you begin to hear your next noisy
fan. BTW, you can throw away your WD-40. Triflow is
much better.

John Lewis

Old November 15th 03, 06:44 AM
Joe Bleaux

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:40:46 GMT,
John Lewis said...

wrote:

[...]

Thanks John, I hadn't thought of that. I have a can of Triflow around
somewhere, I'll have to dig it up. Assuming the Triflow doesn't work,
do you have any recommendations for a replacement fan? Any particular
brands I should look at?

And you're right about PNY warranty replacement - they're willing to
replace the card, but their policies concerning this are so unreasonable
that it is a joke. They may as well not have any warranty at all.

Thanks again,

Joe
Old November 15th 03, 06:54 AM
Joe Bleaux

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:22:39 GMT,
Darthy said...

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:32:16 -0600, Joe Bleaux wrote:

Hi,

After 5 months, the fan on my PNY Verto GeForce FX5200 AGP decided to
start making enough noise so that I can hear it in the next room. Any
recommendations for a fan/heatsink replacement? Or what I can do about
the noisy fan?

If its a type with 2 "tab" like pins holding the fan down, then
replace the fan with another.... or contact PNY for warranty
replacement...

or

Super glue the fan blades to the heatsink so it doesn't spin anymore.
helps with noise very well.

As John suggests in his post, getting a warranty replace from PNY is a
joke. Super glue on the fan would help with the noise, but how do you
suggest I cool the GPU?

Can you recommend a brand of replacement fan?

Thanks,

Joe
Old November 15th 03, 08:14 AM
John Lewis

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:44:21 -0600, Joe Bleaux wrote:

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:40:46 GMT,
John Lewis said...

wrote:

[...]

Whatever fits. Anything would be better than PNY's.

I don't know whether the PNY fan runs off 12V or 5 V
Most probably 12V, look for a sticker on the fan. Otherwise a
voltmeter. will confirm or try out a 12V fan.

John Lewis

Old November 15th 03, 05:36 PM
Fred

PNY said they have shipped me another vidcard. Should have it next week.
That makes almost a month turnaround.

They said they ship out a new card under RMA as soon as they get the old
one. Not true. Took them two weeks.

I did upgrade to an FX5900. It is only about 3 weeks old, and is no longer
on the website. I assume, based upon their policies, that my warranty was 3
weeks.

LOL.

"Joe Bleaux" wrote in message
t...
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:22:39 GMT,
Darthy said...

Old November 16th 03, 06:14 AM
John Lewis

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:36:25 -0500, "Fred"
wrote:

PNY said they have shipped me another vidcard. Should have it next week.
That makes almost a month turnaround.

They said they ship out a new card under RMA as soon as they get the old
one. Not true. Took them two weeks.

I did upgrade to an FX5900. It is only about 3 weeks old, and is no longer
on the website. I assume, based upon their policies, that my warranty was 3
weeks.

LOL.

Avoid PNY......... Even their box-art gives me spinal shivers.

John Lewis

"Joe Bleaux" wrote in message
et...
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:22:39 GMT,