Problem with GeForce FX 5900 Ultra and Black & White

Old July 18th 03, 10:44 PM
Don Suhr

Default Problem with GeForce FX 5900 Ultra and Black & White

Has anyone else with a GeForce FX 5900 tried to run the game Black & White
by Lionhead Studios?

After replacing a GeForce 4600 Ultra, I've been going through and trying
out some of my collection, and couldn't get B&W to run.

I've even gone as far to do a full reinstall of the OS on an extra drive,
and although it installs cleanly, it doesn't seem to want to run.

My Relevant System Info
MSI KT3 Ultra, AMD XP 2000, 512MB of Corsair XMS PC2700 Memory
PNY GeForce 5900 Ultra, Creative Audigy Gamer, LinkSys v4 LNE100TX
Windows XP Pro SP1, all current Hotfixes but 811493 which caused slowdowns
No overclocking of CPU, RAM or Videocard

I've been quite pleased overall with the 5900 so far, and have not noticed
any added fan noise over what my system already generated. Also, the heat
isn't terrible either, with the display properties listing from as low as
43C to a high of 65C when I've thought to check it right after gaming. I
do have a fairly aggressive air-cooling footprint, in a LianLi Al case.

Thanks in Advance for all constructive input.
Please route any and all flames to dev/null.

Electronically, Don -
If you want to e-mail me, delete the NOSPAM above or in the Reply header...

Old July 20th 03, 05:27 AM
Don Suhr

Thanks for the reply...

Remove your NVIDIA drivers via the add/remove programs icon in the...
Reinstall your video drivers.
Reinstall your motherboard chipset drivers.

These were all covered when I reinstalled Windows XP cleanly, on a newly
partitioned and formatted drive, as I noted in my original message.

I've even gone as far to do a full reinstall of the OS on an extra
drive, and although it installs cleanly, it doesn't seem to want to run.

Ensure all game patches if any are installed.

The current Lionhead patches and enhancements are installed.

What is your power supply rating in watts?

It's an Enermax 465 Watt, so I doubt it's the problem...

The software ran fine before the addition of the FX 5900 Ultra, so that's
the obvious suspect...

I'm mainly hoping to find someone else with a FX 5900 or FX 5900 Ultra who
also has a copy of Black & White to test.

Electronically, Don -
If you want to direct mail me, delete the IHATESPAM above...