128 MB Radeon 9800 vs 128MB GeForce FX5200

Old September 20th 03, 12:17 AM
Richard

Default 128 MB Radeon 9800 vs 128MB GeForce FX5200

Hi,

I am planning to buy my new computer very soon and I would like to
know what is the difference between the 128 Mb Radeon 9800 (the one which is
not Pro) and the 128Mb GeForce FX5200. The Radeon is more expensive so I
guess it must do something better. I like to play a few games but I am more
into doing graphics such as Paint Shop Pro 8 and Poser 5.

Thanks,

Richard

Old September 20th 03, 03:42 AM
Shaun

The 5200 is at the bottom end of the scale, the 9800 is at the top end. The
difference is tremendous, in performance AND price. There really is no
comparison.

If you're only a casual gamer, and only 'play a few' you're much better off
getting a Radeon 9600 or something. 9800 is overkill for someone that doesnt
game much, and the 9800 will not do anything better for Paintshop pro work
than even the FX5200.

Old September 20th 03, 06:30 AM
old_dog

What Shaun said basically.

The FX 5200 (US$ 70-80*) is considered by some a good mega-low/mainstream
budget card. It will let you run many/most of todays games albeit at reduced
resolution and eyecandy/quality level, the FX 5200 will do. If you want to
play the games of today at hi-res/high-quality the 5200 won't do. It
definately won't do for HL2/Doom3.

If your're looking for a "bang-for-the-buck" video card to buy right now
theres really no alternative to the ATi 9600pro (~150US$*).

If you're on a tight budget I'd recommed a GeForce ti 4200 especially if
you're buying used - you should be able to get one of those babies for
~80US$* which is very good value for money.

*All prices appoximative

Old September 20th 03, 07:27 PM
Richard

"Richard" a écrit dans le message
de ...
Hi,

I am planning to buy my new computer very soon and I would like to
know what is the difference between the 128 Mb Radeon 9800 (the one which

is
not Pro) and the 128Mb GeForce FX5200. The Radeon is more expensive so I
guess it must do something better. I like to play a few games but I am

more
into doing graphics such as Paint Shop Pro 8 and Poser 5.

Thanks,

Richard

Thank you for your replies