Memory Timing Question

Old February 5th 05, 10:33 PM
Si

Default Memory Timing Question

I just installed the following ram: 1GB Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2Pro. I'm a
bit confused about the timing settings on my Gigabyte 8KNXP Rev 2.0 mobo.
According to the Corsair website, the timing for these modules is 2-3-3-6
for Intel boards but I noticed in the BIOS that the timing entry was set to
"SPD" with the following timings listed: 3-3-8-3. Is this something I need
to adjust, and how do I know which number relates to which entry in the
BIOS?

Cheers.

Si

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.

Old February 6th 05, 12:43 AM
Glitch

Si wrote:
According to the Corsair website, the timing for these modules is 2-3-3-6
for Intel boards but I noticed in the BIOS that the timing entry was set to
"SPD" with the following timings listed: 3-3-8-3. Is this something I need
to adjust, and how do I know which number relates to which entry in the
BIOS?

If Corsair states that the chips can run at 2-3-3-6 speed then they
can.It's all up to you to set them at those latencies.
On the BIOS screen press Ctrl+F1 and go into the new directory.You
should have no problem with the options in there.
And when you look at the timings the top one is the first number and so on.

Old February 6th 05, 01:15 AM
Glitch

Si wrote:
So that means that the 3rd number changes from 8 to 3. Seems a bit of a jump
to me.

Yes,that is a bit strange.My 8I875Ultra has the numbers in the correct
order.You probably need to switch 8 with the last 3.

Old February 6th 05, 11:21 AM
Nickm

"Si" wrote in message

I just installed the following ram: 1GB Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2Pro. I'm a
bit confused about the timing settings on my Gigabyte 8KNXP Rev 2.0 mobo.
According to the Corsair website, the timing for these modules is 2-3-3-6
for Intel boards but I noticed in the BIOS that the timing entry was set
to "SPD" with the following timings listed: 3-3-8-3. Is this something I
need to adjust, and how do I know which number relates to which entry in
the BIOS?

Cheers.

Si

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.

Hi Si

It will work for you. As I found you will almost certainly have to adjust
your timings manually.

I have the same board and memory combination. Thinking at the time (over a
year ago) that the best memory around and Gigabyte's flagship model would
sync up out of the box so to speak I installed everything and found that
there were some serious memory errors being caused when memory timings were
set to SPD. I then checked Gigabyte's list of recommended memory
manufacturers and models and found that my expensive Corsair RAM wasn't on
the list. Aaarrghhh!! Lesson: Always check this stuff first AND never
assume anything!

I hunted around a bit on the Net and luckily found someone else who'd had
the same issues and who'd kindly published their ideal manual memory
settings they'd discovered after hours of experimental tweaking. These
worked a treat for me and my system is rock solid stable. Runs two music
apps in the main: Cubase SX3 and the older Cubase VST 5.2 (the reason I
mention these two apps is that if anything's going to fall over for the
slightest reason these are two applications that will notice anything
slightly out of tune and let you know quite impolitely by rebooting). I
also tested extensively with MemTest86

I have to go out in a few minutes, but I will boot my music PC when I return
later today and let you know the BIOS settings I've used. BTW my CPU is
the Pentium 4 3.0e model (not Prescott, but 800MHz nevertheless). Not sure
of the current BIOS revision in my PC, but will check that too for you.
I'll also give you a run-down on the overall spec and other hardware
installed in my system (and in which PCI slot) for reference. It'll take me
longer than I have right now to get the machine out of its current location.
Sorry for any delay.

Please reply via group, my email address is not as this post indicates.
Once bitten by serious spam, I don't intend to go down that path again.

Regards

Nick

Old February 7th 05, 01:53 AM
Si

Thanks Nick, that would be really helpful. I'm having real problems at the
moment. I also installed a new cpu as well as the memory and now my PC keeps
re-booting after a short time. I am at a total loss as to what to do.

Cheers.

Si

Old February 7th 05, 12:42 PM
Nickm

It sounds like memory timing issues. Sorry for the delay. Was out all day
yesterday and didn't have time to give you the info you need. Hope to find
an hour in an hour or so though :-)

Old February 8th 05, 09:53 AM
Nickm

Hi Si

Apologies for the delay in replying again. As you will see, to get all the
info down in black and white takes a fair old amount of time.

Here's my system spec (I use this PC for multi-track audio recording with
Steinberg Cubase VST 32 v5.2 and/or Cubase SX 3).

The fans and drives are quite noisy, as would be expected given the numbers
involved, which for an audio recording PC is normally a problem, but the
whole machine iteslf is isolated and therefore not a problem when in use.

Windows XP SP1 (just haven't got round to upgrading yet)

PSU - TOPOWER 420w PSU

Graphics - ATI Radeon 9200 AGP 8x 128MB
PCI Slot 1 - empty
PCI Slot 2 - Terratec EWS88MT 8 in - 8 out 24/96 audio card
PCI Slot 3 - Terratec EWS88MT 8 in - 8 out 24/96 audio card
PCI Slot 4 - Terratec EWS88MT 8 in - 8 out 24/96 audio card
PCI Slot 5 - empty

Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controller Drives:
IDE Channel 1 Master: IBM/Hitachi 120GB 7200rpm 8MB cache
IDE Channel 1 Slave: Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm 8MB cache
IDE Channel 2 Master: Pioneer DVR-106D DVD-RW
IDE Channel 2 Slave: Lite-on 16x DVD ROM Drive
ITE IT812 ATA RAID Controller Drives:
IDE Channel 1 Master: Maxtor 40 GB 7200rpm 2MB cache
IDE Channel 1 Slave: Western Digital 30 GB 7200rpm 2MB cache
IDE Channel 2 Master: Seagate 80GB 7200rpm 8MB cache
IDE Channel 2 Slave: Seagate 80GB 7200rpm 8MB cache
Silicon Image SiL 3112 SATA Raid Controller Drives:
Channel 0: Maxtor 120GB 7200rpm 8MB cache SATA
Channel 1: Maxtor 120GB 7200rpm 8MB cache SATA
Remaining 2 SATA ports - empty

Standard 3.5" Floppy Drive

Memory DIMM Slots Used:
Slot nearest CPU on first bank
Slot nearest CPU on second bank

Memory Type:
Corsair Twin-X 1024-3200C Pro (2 x 512MB Matched Pair)

CPU:
Intel P4 3.0(e) 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB Hyper-Threading (512Kb cache) NOT
PRESCOTT
CPU FAN:
Stock Intel Fan as supplied with CPU

BIOS Revision: FE

BIOS Settings for CPU/Memory etc...

(You'll need to press Ctrl + F1 for the hidden Advanced Chipset features and
Top Performance menu items)

Standard CMOS Features - normal drive and date settings
Advanced BIOS Features:
Hard Disk Boot Priority: 1-Ch0 M; 2-Ch 0 S; 3-SCSI-1: Sil Striped Set;
4-SCSI-0: IT8212; 5-Bootable Add-in cards
BIOS Flash Protection: AUTO
First Boot Device: Hard Disk
Second Boot Device: CDROM
Third Boot Device: Floppy
Boot Up Floppy Seek: Disabled
Boot Up Num Lock: ON
Password Check: SETUP
Interrupt Mode: APIC
HDD Smart Capability: DISABLED (no particular reason)
CPU Hyper-Threading: ENABLED
Delay for HDD (Secs): 0
Full Screen Logo Show: DISABLED
Intel On-Screen Branding: ENABLED
Flexible AGP 8x: AUTO
DRAM Data Integrity Mode: (greyed) Non-ECC
Init Display First: AGP
Advanced Chipset Features:
Configure DRAM Timing: MANUAL
CAS Latency Time: 2
Active to Precharge Delay: 6
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 2
Refresh Mode Select: 7.8us
Delayed Transaction: ENABLED
AGP Aperture Size: 128MB
PSB Parking: DISABLED
Command Per Clock: AUTO
Current CPC: (greyed) DISABLED
Fast Chip Select: AUTO
Current FCS: (greyed) ENABLED
Dynamic Paging Mode: AUTO
Current Dynamic Paging: (greyed) ENABLED
Integrated Peripherals:
On-Chip Primary PCI IDE: ENABLED
On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE: ENABLED
(the following settings inclusive are set to AUTO)
from IDE1 Conductor Cable to On-Chip SATA - ALL AUTO
SATA Port0 configure as: SATA Port0 (greyed)
SATA Port1 configure as: SATA Port1 (greyed)
SATA RAID Function: ENABLED
USB Controller: ENABLED
USB 2.0 Controller: ENABLED
USB Keyboard Support: DISABLED
USB Mouse Support: DISABLED
Onboard H/W SATA: ENABLED
Serial ATA Function: RAID
Onboard H/W GIGARAID: ENABLED
GigaRAID Function: ATA
Onboard H/W 1394: ENABLED
Onboard H/W LAN: ENABLED
Onboard Serial Port 1: 3F8/IRQ4
Onboard Serial Port 2: 2F8/IRQ3
UART Mode Select: NORMAL
UR2 Duplex Mode: (greyed): HALF
Onboard Parallel Port: 378/IRQ7
Parallel Port Mode: SPP
ECP Mode Use DMA: (greyed) 3
Game Port Address: 201
Midi Port Address: DISABLED
Midi Port IRQ: (greyed): 10
CIR Port Address: DISABLED
CIR Port IRQ: (greyed) 11
Power Management Setup:
ACPI Suspend Type: S1 (POS)
USB Device Wake-up from S3: (greyed) ENABLED
Power LED in S1 State: BLINKING
Off by Power Button: INSTANT-OFF
Everything else: DISABLED
AC BACK Function: SOFT-OFF
PnP/PCI Configurations:
Everything set to AUTO
PC Health Status (pertinent settings only):
CPU Warning Temperatu 60deg C/140 deg F
CPU Fan Fail Warning: ENABLED
Power Fan Warning: DISABLED (tower cooling fans are not controlled by
board)
System Fan Warning: DISABLED (tower cooling fans are not controlled by
board)
CPU Smart Fan Control: ENABLED
Frequency Voltage Control:
C.I.A. Function: ENABLED
C.I.A. Frequency: CRUISE
CPU Host Clock Control: (greyed) DISABLED
CPU Host Frequency (MHz): (greyed) 100
AGP/PCI/SRC Fixed: (greyed) 66/33/100
Memory Frequency for: AUTO
Memory Frequency (MHz): (greyed) 400
AGP/PCI/SRC Frequency (MHz): (greyed) 66/33/100
DIMM OverVoltage Control: +0.2v (Corsair Memory recommended this
increase on the packaging)
AGP OverVoltage Control: NORMAL
CPU Voltage Control: NORMAL
Normal CPU Vco (greyed) 1.5250V
Top Performance
DISABLED

I don't think there's anything more I can tell you about my system.

If you try the manual memory settings I have listed, plus the 0.2v
overvoltage on your RAM (check your memory's packaging first! - sorry, but
you're on your own if by any chance it should burn out because of
over-voltage. It's always a slight risk, but it was recommended by Corsair
on the packaging my RAM came in, and has worked for me to date), you should
achieve stability. There is a proviso though... your existing OS and
software installation should have been stable to start with (I assume it was
with your old CPU from what you've previously described) AND you're not
overclocking anything (I assume you're not from what you have said - but in
general overclocking terms, not particularly specific to the 8KNXP, unless
you lock the AGP and PCI frequencies to 66MHz and 33MHz respectively, every
1MHz increase to the CPU's base FSB - normally 100MHz for P4 but multiplied
within the CPU to give 533 or 800MHz actual speed - will increase the AGP
frequency by a further 0.66MHz and the PCI bus frequency by a further 0.33
MHz. Whilst most modern AGP cards are quite flexible in this respect, not
all PCI cards are and some might start to fall over causing random reboots
with a moderate PCI frequency increase to only 37MHz or so.). The 8KNXP
like many other modern boards has been designed for overclocking to some
extent, and therefore has the ability to lock AGP and PCI frequencies to
66MHz and 33MHz irrespective of how fast you can push the CPU and Memory.
SATA controllers also suffer from overclocking settings and o/c is not
recommended if you are using SATA. Personally, I've tried overclocking with
a degree of success a long time before getting this board, and yes, it's a
bit of fun to get something for nothing and to see how it's done, but with
this particular PC, I can't afford for it to fall over in the middle of a
band's live performance at a gig, so stability is paramount, so apart from
the memory timings which I found in December 2003 on the Net and can't take
credit for, I haven't made any special provision.

You might find swapping any PCI cards you have around to different slots
might help (but as you've run the baord for some time, I doubt that this
will help).

The only other thing I can think of, is a dodgy driver - you should always
try where possible to use drivers that have been certified (signed) by
Microsoft. I know it's not always possible, but Microsoft have cleverly
largely dodged the issue of being accused (as they have been a lot in the
past) of producing a faulty OS when quite a lot of the time a faulty 3rd
party driver was to blame. That's why the message pops up asking you to
confirm that you want to use an unsigned driver, thereby passing the
responsibility if the system fails to you. You always have System Restore
or the last of the regular backups you took ;-/ Graphics card drivers are
probably the most common culprits in my experience - many graphics card
manufacturers - Matrox in particular - used to tweak a few settings via
software drivers (probably still do in a more sophisticated way) to give
their cards the edge, and although I like Matrox cards a lot, a few years
ago (pre-XP) they used to give me some interesting moments.

I hope the information I have shared here helps you sort out your problem.

Regards

Nick