Is Gigabyte support just a sour joke?

Old October 24th 03, 12:54 PM
Thorsten Helmerichs

Default Is Gigabyte support just a sour joke?

If had a tiny problem with my GA-7DX Rev.3 after I upgraded the CPU from an
XP1600+ to a XP2400+, BIOS Rev. is F8beta (or bate, as Gigabyte likes to
call it), the latest BIOS there is. The board fails to detect the CPU
correctly, it's only reporting a 2000Mhz AMD prozessor-tiny problem,
granted. I enquired with Gigabyte about it, just to be sure there is nothing
more serious lurking in the shadows...and got a couple of suprising
replies...:

"Athlon XP
Th.mit266 im Bios ( oder Jumper)auf 133
Barton mit 333 im Bios ( oder Jumper)auf 166
Den Schalter CLK_SW auf Auto"

Translated it tells me to switch to 133Mhz FSB if a use TB, to 166 if I use
a Barton and to put the CLK_SW to Auto.This Board does not support a 166Mhz
FSB, or Barton CPU's and does not have a CLK-SW, so the support-person
didn't bother to read the f****** manual...

After that it became surreal...I tried to reply to the adress I got the Mail
from, earned a "no reply"reply and went back to the Web-Based Support base.
Have a look...:
This is what i got in reply:

Bitte ein Bios - Update durchführen. (Dies ist immer Wichtig!) - (Für
aktuelle CPU´s)

Bitte Kontrollieren sie ob der Zusatzstecker vom Netzteil (Ein kleiner
4Poliger etwas durchsichtig Weißer (ATX_12V Power Connector) mit
Angeschlossen ist. (Zu dem normalen ATX - Stecker(ATX Power)

Den kleinen Switch (Set System Jumper)-(CLK_SW) auf dem Mainboard auf
ON=Auto

Und die Einstellung des Prozessors im Bios angeben.

Beispiel AMD

Thoroughbred mit 266 sollte auf 133 eingestellt werden.

Barton mit 333 sollte auf 166 eingestellt werden.

Barton mit 400 sollte auf 200 eingestellt werden.

Beispiel Intel

Pentium 4 siehe Chipsatz

Automatischer Ablauf und Anpassung

Chipsatz i875 steuert 800 + 533 MHZ (FSB)

Chipsatz i865 steuert 800 + 533 + 400 MHZ (FSB)

Chipsatz i845GE und 845E steuern 533 + 400 MHZ (FSB)

Chipsatz i845 steuert 400 MHZ (FSB)

Vielen Dank

Gigabyte - Service - Support

Front - Office

Tel: 01803 428468

9 Cent/Min von 9 bis 18Uhr

Mail:

Bei weiteren Antworten bitte Anhang einfügen

Old October 24th 03, 02:22 PM
Alien Zord

"Thorsten Helmerichs" wrote in message
If had a tiny problem with my GA-7DX Rev.3 after I upgraded the CPU from

an
XP1600+ to a XP2400+, BIOS Rev. is F8beta (or bate, as Gigabyte likes to
call it), the latest BIOS there is. The board fails to detect the CPU
correctly, it's only reporting a 2000Mhz AMD prozessor-tiny problem,
granted. I enquired with Gigabyte about it, just to be sure there is

nothing
more serious lurking in the shadows...and got a couple of suprising
replies...:

snipped

The XP2400+ does indeed run at 2000MHz so the BIOS is correct it just does
not contain a table of the AMD invented "quantispeed" values (where 3200+
only runs at 2200MHz and is nowhere near as fast as that figure would
suggest, more likely 2800+)

The reply you got is just a standard set email reply, in the cut-throat
computer component supply business no manufacturer can afford genuine end
user support.
Other makers are no different. When enquiring about a problem with updated
All-in-Wonder 128 Pro driver ATI told me that the card was end of life and
no longer supported. Its less than 3 years old.
Matrox refuse to update their G400 Marvel card's software altogether, the
player won't even run on WinXP.

The gist of it is, forget about asking big manufacturers about a problem.
Figure it out for yourself or ask around.

Old October 24th 03, 07:21 PM
Thorsten Helmerichs

"Alien Zord" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
snipp
The XP2400+ does indeed run at 2000MHz so the BIOS is correct it just does
not contain a table of the AMD invented "quantispeed" values (where 3200+
only runs at 2200MHz and is nowhere near as fast as that figure would
suggest, more likely 2800+)
snipp

Of course, that's why I called it a tiny problem.(where's that poor table
gone?)
I'm just amused and a little saddend because I had better experiences with
Gigabyte-Support, but, alas, no more...
Greetings

Old October 25th 03, 05:07 PM
Alien Zord

"Thorsten Helmerichs" wrote in message

"Alien Zord" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
snipp
The XP2400+ does indeed run at 2000MHz so the BIOS is correct it just

does
not contain a table of the AMD invented "quantispeed" values (where

3200+
only runs at 2200MHz and is nowhere near as fast as that figure would
suggest, more likely 2800+)
snipp

Of course, that's why I called it a tiny problem.(where's that poor table
gone?)

Table: imagine the BIOS writer's dilemma:

XP2600+:
Thoroughbred, 256k cache, 266 FSB: clock speed 2133MHz
Thoroughbred, 256k cache, 333 FSB: clock speed 2083MHz
Barton, 512k cache, 333 FSB: clock speed 1917MHz

Clock speed 2167MHz:
Thoroughbred: quantispeed 2700+
Barton: quantispeed 3000+

I'm not surprised that sometimes they take a shortcut and only show the
clock speed.