building a fast computer?

Old February 22nd 05, 10:58 PM
Beowulf

Default building a fast computer?

What would be the best way to go about building the fastest computer system
for 2D and somewhat less so 3D rendering, the end goal being a fast system
for doing high resolution layers for digital collage design? Beyond the
basic building a system with a fast CPU, fast graphics card, and lots of
RAM (also video ram), I am wondering about building a dual-processor
system, or can a dual video card system be build, or perhaps a parallel
processing system with 3 or 4 or 5 computers sharing the load. THis is
somewhat of a geek thing, I have built a number of computers and I am
wondering how to build a fast graphics design system, which is the best way
to go (dual processor or parallel processing, dual video cards [if that is
even possible]).
Old February 23rd 05, 02:09 AM
John Doe

Beowulf wrote:

What would be the best way to go about building the fastest
computer system for 2D and somewhat less so 3D rendering, the end
goal being a fast system for doing high resolution layers for
digital collage design? Beyond the basic building a system with a
fast CPU, fast graphics card, and lots of RAM (also video ram), I
am wondering about building a dual-processor system, or can a dual
video card system be build, or perhaps a parallel processing system
with 3 or 4 or 5 computers sharing the load. THis is somewhat of a
geek thing, I have built a number of computers and I am wondering
how to build a fast graphics design system, which is the best way
to go (dual processor or parallel processing, dual video cards [if
that is even possible]).

Just in case you haven't already thought of this. I would ask in
some of the graphics design groups. Some of them are techies and
might know what components are best.

Old February 23rd 05, 02:12 AM
John Weiss

"Beowulf" wrote...
What would be the best way to go about building the fastest computer system
for 2D and somewhat less so 3D rendering, the end goal being a fast system
for doing high resolution layers for digital collage design?

A dual Xeon workstation would be the primary setup for starters. Then look for
workstation-grade graphics cards that support the graphics you work with most.
You'll likely have to peruse vendors' sites to get a better idea of the cards
that are available that are not targeted to gamers...

Old February 23rd 05, 04:44 AM
rhys

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:58:01 -0600, Beowulf
wrote:

What would be the best way to go about building the fastest computer system
for 2D and somewhat less so 3D rendering, the end goal being a fast system
for doing high resolution layers for digital collage design? Beyond the
basic building a system with a fast CPU, fast graphics card, and lots of
RAM (also video ram), I am wondering about building a dual-processor
system, or can a dual video card system be build, or perhaps a parallel
processing system with 3 or 4 or 5 computers sharing the load. THis is
somewhat of a geek thing, I have built a number of computers and I am
wondering how to build a fast graphics design system, which is the best way
to go (dual processor or parallel processing, dual video cards [if that is
even possible]).

You've got about six different questions here. Please be more specific
about your intended use and I'm sure someone can help you. The fastest
2D system would be a markedly different beast in some respects than a
3D rig, and you need to decide how fast is fast enough.

A graphics workstation will benefit from dual processors, for
instance, but only coupled with lots of fast RAM and a decent, but not
necessarily top-end "gaming" video card. But consider that dual-core
processors, which are analogous but not quite the same thing as dual
processors, are coming on line, and the bus speed and other mobo
hardware specs and designs can have a big impact on how "Fast like
rocket" your proposed rig will seem.

I find looking at the standard mobo/CPU test sites (Tom's Hardware,
etc.) and seeking out Photoshop and InDesign render times is
instructive.

For 2D, I've found it's a matter of synergy, rather than raw power:
you can cheap out a bit on dual processors and buy more RAM and a
better video card, for instance. How this plays out in the next twelve
months is a learning opportunity, because I only build graphics rigs
every four years or so...and the time is approaching.

Good luck.

R.

Old February 24th 05, 10:05 AM
johns

Just build a nice game box ... AMD 64 3800 ... 1 gig
ddr400 Kingston ... Gigabyte KN8S mobo with nVidia
chipset ... ATI 9800 Pro 128 / 256 .. 160 gig SATA
drive ( Maxtor is OK ) .. and put it in a Antec case
like the SLK1650 with 350 watt supply that sources
21 amps on the 12v rail. Sony cdrw/dvd combo. I still
like analog monitors, and the price is right. You can
build this system for about $1100 with WinXP Pro.
I've benched this system against a Dell Workstation
... dual Xeon with FireGL video ... and beat the ever
loving crap out of it. Avoid the so-called "graphics
workstations". That is old tech, and the industry hypes
it to "engineers" who don't have time to check the
real specs. I'm running Solidworks, several versions
of AutoCAD, an Architectural package, a world of
Math apps used in Mechanical engineering, and they
all run much faster on the AMD system than on the
Xeon system ... and quieter ... and cooler. I recently
tested a dual Opteron system thinking it would smoke
the Athlon, but it did not. It did have an nVidia 6800
card in it, and that is a nice card. Both systems ran
Far Cry demo on all high settings. The Dell would not
even start Far Cry. The FireGL card is a joke.

johns