Question about CAS latency setting

Old September 2nd 03, 03:42 AM
Flugel45

Default Question about CAS latency setting

Hello,

Recently built a system around a Soyo SY-TISU board (P3 Tualatin 1.4ghz, 512k
cache).

I've installed 2- 256MB Crucial PC133 CAS2 memory chips (512mb total). These
were ordered new from Crucial.com. Unlike my Asus board which uses exactly the
same Crucial memory and defaults to "2" CAS latency, the Soyo defaults to "3".
I can change it to "2", but then get a message during post that says
recommended setting is "3". Otherwise it works fine.

Actually, better than normal. According to the SPP benchmark test, I'm getting
a 7-8% jump in one area of performance that has to do with streaming output.

So my question is, can I leave the CAS setting at "2", even though it's not the
recommended setting, without harming the board?

Thanks for any comments,
JD
Old September 2nd 03, 04:27 PM
S.Heenan

Flugel45 wrote:
Hello,

Recently built a system around a Soyo SY-TISU board (P3 Tualatin
1.4ghz, 512k cache).

I've installed 2- 256MB Crucial PC133 CAS2 memory chips (512mb
total). These were ordered new from Crucial.com. Unlike my Asus
board which uses exactly the same Crucial memory and defaults to "2"
CAS latency, the Soyo defaults to "3". I can change it to "2", but
then get a message during post that says recommended setting is "3".
Otherwise it works fine.

Actually, better than normal. According to the SPP benchmark test,
I'm getting a 7-8% jump in one area of performance that has to do
with streaming output.

So my question is, can I leave the CAS setting at "2", even though
it's not the recommended setting, without harming the board?

You won't cause any harm to the motherboard or RAM by leaving the CAS
setting at 2 rather than 3. If you raise the FSB, you may have to revert to
CAS3 at higher speeds.

--
Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated