No POST on A7N8X Deluxe, 2500 Barton

Old June 27th 03, 03:30 PM
Patrick

Default No POST on A7N8X Deluxe, 2500 Barton

Have you had a chance to check temps? Maybe the heatsink on your CPU is not
mounted correctly and is causing system to fry.
Patrick
"MrDancer" wrote in message
y.com...
Just put together a new system last night, an Asus A7N8X Deluxe, ver. 2,

w/
Barton 2500 cpu, Vantec Aeroflow HSF, 512mb Ocz 3200 DDR, Antec 400W PSU.

System starts up, runs about five seconds, then shuts down. No beeps or
anything, just the sound of the fans and the drives spinning up.

Everything seems to be working, there is power to the fans, drives, green
LED on mobo is lit up, no problems with AGP, Vantec TMD fan is connect to
CPU fan header. Video card is Gainward (geforce) 8x AGP.

My first thought was bad RAM, so I swapped it out for some 256 Crucial
(2700) that I had in another machine and knew was good, but it didn't make
any difference. I also tried clearing the CMOS between memory changes,

etc.

Only jumpers I changed were disabling Serial ATA (it will be a while

before
I get one of those HDDs) and enabling keyboard wakeup.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old June 27th 03, 04:17 PM
MrDancer

"Patrick" wrote in message
Have you had a chance to check temps? Maybe the heatsink on your CPU is

not
mounted correctly and is causing system to fry.

Nope, I can't even get video to the monitor. No beeps, no video, nothing...
just powers down about 4-5 seconds after powering up. HSF is properly
installed, got a good look at it even before I put the mobo in the case
(I've built a number of systems prior to this one). I found the Asus
newsgroup and have been combing through that... found a few other tricks to
try, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm hearing that the A7N8X can be pretty finicky about RAM....

Old June 27th 03, 06:06 PM
Ben Pope

MrDancer wrote:
Just put together a new system last night, an Asus A7N8X Deluxe, ver.
2, w/ Barton 2500 cpu, Vantec Aeroflow HSF, 512mb Ocz 3200 DDR, Antec
400W PSU.

System starts up, runs about five seconds, then shuts down. No beeps
or anything, just the sound of the fans and the drives spinning up.

Sounds like the temperature protection kicking in.

Ben

Old June 27th 03, 06:54 PM
MrDancer

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
MrDancer wrote:
Just put together a new system last night, an Asus A7N8X Deluxe, ver.
2, w/ Barton 2500 cpu, Vantec Aeroflow HSF, 512mb Ocz 3200 DDR, Antec
400W PSU.

System starts up, runs about five seconds, then shuts down. No beeps
or anything, just the sound of the fans and the drives spinning up.

Sounds like the temperature protection kicking in.

Yeah, maybe, but I can't figure out what would be setting it off. HSF is
installed correctly, with ASII - can't see any problems there...

Old June 27th 03, 09:28 PM
MrDancer

"Frank Weston" wrote in message
news
Did you remember to plug in the ATX 12 volt power connector? The behavior
you describe is exactly what happens when ATX 12 volt power is missing.

Yeah, everything seems to be in order. I've built a number of systems prior
to this one, and this is the first one I'm having problems with. I'm going
to try a different fan.

Old June 27th 03, 09:31 PM
MrDancer

"Ed" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:34:44 -0500, Ed wrote:

Try a different CPU fan, and make sure your plugging it into the CPU
header not PWR or Chassis.

Just to add, I read awhile back (on one of the groups) guys were having
problems with some of the early released TMD fans, seems some didn't
spin up fast enough and/or were not getting detected by some boards
causing the system to shut down. That's the only reason I mention the
fan. No problems though with my Aeroflow and A7N8X (Std.)

That makes sense, I'll give it a try - I've a coupla other fans laying
around. I'd did try booting while holding the INS key down, as well as
trying a few other keys, as sometimes that will allow a boot into the BIOS
to disable the "fan control shutdown", but no luck on this system so far...

And yes, the TMD is on the CPU header. ;-)

Old June 28th 03, 01:17 AM
Dropforge

I had same thing with a Gigabyte board.
Close look found 5 fat condensers, warranty fixed it

Old June 29th 03, 08:48 PM
MrDancer

"PC" wrote in message
om...
Just a guess, PSU?

Nah, PSU is pretty good (Antec 400W, about one month old). I previously had
the Antec on a Soyo Dragon+ (known for being power-hungry) along with 2
HDDs, 2 CD-ROM drives, 1.4 T-bird, etc. Just have old HDD and FDD hooked up
to this one, doesn't matter if I disconnect them or not.

Have you tried with the HDD('s) and CD disconnected from the PSU?

Yep, no go.

If it POSTs with them not present, would it indicate a lack of grunt
from the PSU?

If it was unhappy with the RAM wouldn't it give the beep codes
accordingly? Or does it not get that far before shutting down?

Doesn't get that far. I'm RMA'ing it tomorrow, tired of jacking with it.

Cheers,

PC

gy.com...