help getting more from P4 2.8C

Old November 7th 03, 09:17 PM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

Default help getting more from P4 2.8C

I have a P4 2.8C on an ASUS P4P800 with the stock cooler, 2x512M PC3200 Kingston
ValueRAM, and an ATI All-In-Wonder 7500 (fanless Radeon) video card. Using
ATI's automatic overclocking option it goes to 10% (3080 MHz) fine. At 20%
(3360 MHz) the system will boot and run, but with random program crashes under
high load. I went into manual mode and put the FSB at 230 (3220 MHz) with no
other adjustments and it works fine there. But a lot of people seem to be
getting more out of this chip, and suggesting that the way to do it with PC3200
is to set the RAM speed to 320 rather than 400. When I try that and put the FSB
up to 240, it's actually *worse* than with the RAM speed at 400. The OS won't
even finish loading most of the time before the system reboots. I'm really
puzzled by how dropping the speed can make it run worse! Does anyone have any
suggestions for further fine-tuning? Preferably without raising the voltage
because I only have the stock cooler and I haven't managed to get hardware
monitoring working with this board in Linux yet. I haven't tried changing any
of the RAM timing options yet because I've never done that before. (My RAM is
CAS 3 by the way, if that's what the problem is.) I *have* tried locking the
PCI speed to 33; I've also tried changing the Performance Acceleration mode on
the Chipset menu; it doesn't seem to make much difference. (By the way, why are
the only options Auto and Enabled, why not one to force it to Disabled?) As for
the Performance Mode on the JumperFree Configuration menu, I don't seem to
*have* that option. What's up with that?

Old November 8th 03, 02:53 AM
gawderho

Okay, the first thing you need to do is upgrade your BIOS to 1010. I
couldn't run stable Over Clocking either until I installed BIOS 1010 on my
P4P800 Deluxe. Also it gave me the Performance Mode option then, which I've
been playing with for the last month. BIOS 1010 also gives your more voltage
options for your CPU and Chipset settings.

There's a link for the ASUS Downloads for the P4P800 Dlx that has BIOS
1010. This is a good one to get started on OC your CPU.......
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...threadid=49814

Here's the BIOS download site:
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/downl...4P800%20Deluxe

Yeah, you need that performance mode option for sure.

Have Fun!..................gawderho

Old November 8th 03, 04:01 AM
gawderho

Okay, the first thing you need to do is upgrade your BIOS to 1010.

couldn't run stable Over Clocking either until I installed BIOS 1010 on my
P4P800 Deluxe. Also it gave me the Performance Mode option then, which I've
been playing with for the last month.

BIOS 1010 also gives you more voltage

Old November 8th 03, 09:09 PM
dusan

hi
it is your ram that is a limiting factor
what is the writing on a kingston memory chips ?
what brand is it ?
what is memory chip a manufacture website say on a speed timing ?

http://www.intel.com/technology/memo...mm_results.htm
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semi...y_cd=DRM030202

i am testing samsung fastest ddr memory made/sold at this time
a 512mb pc3200 tccc speed ddr and fastest 1:1 memory speed so
far is 212mhz - 214mhz at 3:3:3 at 2.5v cpu 1.525v
so if you want to run at 1:1 ddr at 3:3:3 timing speed
and max ddr is ~215mhz what x cpu
do you need x12 x13 x14 x15 x16 for optimum operation of cpu and memory

i think 10% is all you get at optimum memory timing at
this time until real faster memory is on the market
not this oc overprice heatsink covered crap
(pc3500-pc4200-pc5000-pc10000 or whatever number they pull out of the hat)

new samsung memory that is coming
Speed DDR2-667 (5-5-5) DDR2-533 (4-4-4) DDR2-400 (3-3-3)
same old thing just more wait states

if pc3500-pc10000 memory was made intel will list it on valid memory list web site
as such

i did run my samsung pc3200 tccc at over 250mhz for 1000mhz fsb at many wait states
p4 2.4 800mhz fsb cpu

Old November 9th 03, 02:19 PM
Skid

Forget the auto OC setting, it's never going to get you to the limit of the
cpu.

If your PC 3200 ram runs 1:1 at 230, it truly is "value" ;)

The only way you're likely to get higher is by changing the cpu:ram ratio to
5:4. Then when the cpu is running at 3.36 or 240 fsb, the ram will be idling
at 192 mhz. Few P4s will go much higher than 3.5 ghz, and you'll probably
need a little more voltage and a better cooler.

You do lose some memory bandwidth at 5:4, but an extra 10 mhz on the fsb
will more than make up for it in overall performance, and you can usually
run tighter timings, CAS 2.5 or even 2, at the lower speed.

Old November 9th 03, 02:36 PM
Skid

"dusan" wrote in message
[...]

PC3200 is the highest standard certified by JEDEC at the moment, and Intel
isn't going to recommend anything faster because it doesn't condone
overclocking and considers 200 mhz the top fsb.

But that doesn't mean that there isn't faster memory available.

With all due respect to your Samsung, I'm running some cheap Buffalo Tech
PC3700 at 220 mhz with tight timings of 2,3,2,6. (At 200 mhz, it will do
2,2,2,5.) No heat spreaders, legendary Winbond BH-5 chips, $110 for two
256-meg sticks.

It pushes my lowly P4C 2.4 ghz cpu to 3.3 ghz at 5:4, and the system is very
fast and stable as a rock. I can run it at 230+ at CAS 2.5, but the cpu
can't keep up.

There is now some PC4000 memory out there that can run 250+ at CAS 2.5, but
it's hyper expensive and useful only to people determined to get the highest
1:1 overclock possible.

Old November 9th 03, 08:09 PM
dusan

hi
ok let see this faster memory
i like to get some real faster memory
so post some memory manufacture web links so we can compare memory spec's
and price watch links so we can buy it
i am sure we all like to find some good real fast low cost memory

samsung is fastest memory you can get for the money pc3200 tccc timing
pc3200 512mb tccc timing at ~$90 stick

and you can see it on samsung website as fastest memory made and sold at this time

so show me your miracle fast memory that its not made but is sold

Old November 10th 03, 01:19 AM
Uncooked meat prior to state vector collapse

"dusan" wrote in message
hi
ok let see this faster memory
i like to get some real faster memory
so post some memory manufacture web links so we can compare memory spec's
and price watch links so we can buy it
i am sure we all like to find some good real fast low cost memory

samsung is fastest memory you can get for the money pc3200 tccc timing
pc3200 512mb tccc timing at ~$90 stick

and you can see it on samsung website as fastest memory made and sold at

this time

so show me your miracle fast memory that its not made but is sold

ok, how's this....

or this...

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/r...C4000EL_1.html

or....

http://www.reviewshq.com/reviews/Detailed/1054.php

there's a *few* examples of this so-called miracle memory you were looking
for. Use google for the rest.

Old November 10th 03, 03:42 AM
dusan

hi
what we need is original manufacture memory spec page
rest is smoke and mirrors and big bs