Presario Question

Old October 25th 04, 07:52 PM
Jesus Alvarado !!

Default Presario Question

Can I change the mother board on one of these pc ? And replace it with a
clone ?

Old October 25th 04, 09:17 PM
Ben Myers

It depends on the model of Presario. I replaced the mobo in a Presario for my
son's friend, using a standard Asus P4 microATX motherboard. I also changed out
the power supply for a more powerful one and I had to rewire the leads from the
front panel (on-off button, power LED, hard disk LED) to fit the replacement
motherboard.

With some other Presarios, this is just about impossible. I replaced the
motherboard and Presario case for a client when the mobo burned out due to
accumulated dust and dirt. Moved the hard drive, CD-RW and all the add-ins to
the "new" used replacement case, then reconfigured the WIndows software,
sometimes a challenge in itself.

So which model of Presario do you have? ... Ben Myers

Old October 26th 04, 01:36 AM
Ben Myers

Honestly, I forget. I did it about six months ago, got paid cash, and did not
keep a record of what I did. I do recall that the original motherboard was a
Pentium 4 board, too. But the kid wanted a faster system than the Presario's
original motherboard allowed.

FWIW, Compaq (actually HPaq), like most other name brands, has gotten away from
all the proprietary motherboards used in days gone by. Price pressure is too
great for them to pay the added dollars for a quirky hardware design and to have
a special manufacturing run for the special board. The practice of using
proprietary crap seems to have dropped off at about the same time Pentium 4
systems were introduced. Before that, in Pentium II and Pentium 3 days, Compaq
products were a hodge-podge of highly proprietary (e.g. AP-series workstations),
pretty straight commodity (e.g. many DeskPro models excluding small form factor)
and commodity with a twist (e.g. some Deskpro models with ATX sized motherboards
and a 24-pin power connector)... Ben Myers