MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 problems

Old September 20th 03, 08:41 AM
Big F'n Deal

Default MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 problems

I am having a hard time getting satisfactory performance from my video card,
and I am hoping you all can help. As oyu can see from the subject of this
posting, I have a MSI GeForce 4 Ti4200 card. I am running nVidia drivers
45.33 and have the card overclocked to 270/544. I have an ASUS A7N8x Dlx
rev.2.00 w/ an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ oc'd to 2076 (12x173). I have Corair
TwinX XMS 2700LL dual-channel memory. Any other info you need, ask and I
will answer. I am having very choppy play in Ghost Recon and Ghost Recon
Island Thunder. I am also having issues with MS Zoo Tycoon where it randomly
stops and also has a hard time with the terrain. The final issue is I cannot
obtain a score higher than 6000 with 3dMark 2001SE, I have seen higher
scores for my exact card online. I have sseen scores in the 11000 to 13000
range running at 1024x768. My resolution is 1280x1024.

Thanx

Old September 20th 03, 01:13 PM

What is the spec of your power supply as well? I have seen a couple of PCs
where the power supply was having problems delivering enough juice to the
card when running high intensity graphics.

regards

"Big F'n Deal" wrote in message
news
I have the 128MB card.

Old September 20th 03, 03:44 PM
D I

You may want to read about the problem I had a few posts up with my old
MX440 and my new Ti4200. I removed the case and my CPU went a bit
faster, thus causing my video card to go faster as well. But I only
went over 10,000 if I overclocked it, and i have a Athhon XP 2400+; at
normal speed it was around 8000. Try the running SiSoft Sandra CPU
benchmark and see if your CPU is going at the correct speed (compare it
to the reference CPU values they give you).

Old September 21st 03, 08:22 AM
Big F'n Deal

My Sandra2003 scores for CPU Arithmetic Benchmark are...
Drystone7751 MIPS / Whetstone 3095 MFLOPS.

For CPU Multimedia are...
Integer 11121 it/s / Float 12227 it/s

As I said I am running a T'bred B 1700 @ 12x173 w/ TwinX PC2700.

From everything I've read these are the scores I should expect for where my
CPU is.

.. .

Old September 21st 03, 08:25 AM
Big F'n Deal

My rails are as follows... +3.3V=26A, +5V=40A, +12V=16A.

"B" wrote in message
What is the spec of your power supply as well? I have seen a couple of PCs
where the power supply was having problems delivering enough juice to the
card when running high intensity graphics.

regards

"Big F'n Deal" wrote in message
news
I have the 128MB card.

Old September 21st 03, 08:29 AM
Big F'n Deal

One slight update, I lowered resolution in favor of a higher (read as
actually usable) refresh rate. I had been at 1280x1024 @ 66Hz. Now I
adjusted that lower so I am now at 1024x768 @ 75Hz. When I reran 3dMark
2001SE, I did get over 6000, but not by much. So I am still very low. Can
someone post the settings for the benchmark, could I have the benchmark set
wrong? I do run BOTH a CRT VGA Monitor and a TV S-video connection. Could
the dual-monitor setup be an issue?

Old September 26th 03, 08:25 AM
Enter Name Here

"Big F'n Deal" wrote in
:

"Big F'n Deal" wrote in message
[...]

I experienced a similar lack of performance when I upgraded to the same
video card. My system has an Athlon XP2400+, VIA KT400, 1gig of DDR333.
I was getting similar scores on 3DMarkSE b330, and similar crappy game
performance until I realized that the card was operating in "PCI Mode",
rather than AGP8x. Check out in your video properties (MSI Information
tab), and make sure that the "AGP Traffic Enable" and "8x" boxes are
checked. If they aren't - there's your problem.

In my case, I needed to update my VIA chipset driver (which caused me
headaches unrelated to the vid. card - but that's another story!). With
the card now running in 8x AGP mode, my scores are in the 10,500 range
(stock clock speeds, all around), and nearly 12,000 with the vid. card
OC'd.

You might have to update your nForce drivers, or change some settings in
your BIOS, to enable 8X AGP. Hopefully, that fixes it for ya.

your dual-display. I don't really know if that would do anything -
I've never tried it.

BTW, my settings for 3DMark (default, I believe): 1024x768x32,
compressed textures, no A.A. My monitor runs at 120Hz normally, but I
think 3DMark switches it to 60Hz for the test (doubt if that makes any
difference, anyway).

Good luck.
Old September 28th 03, 09:23 AM
Big F'n Deal

Thank you for that posting. Great info. Unfortunately though I checked an
both of the items you mentioned are checked. Also now I seem to be having a
problem even attempting to benchmark. I either have a problem where
3dMark2001SE either freezes and freezes my PC with it (usually on the 1st
test), exits from 3dMark without getting past the Dragothic test, or I get a
physical memory dump BSOD and am rebooted. I have to say I eMailed MSI about
this as well as posting, they said to disable fat write in the BIOS, update
to DX9 and raise the voltage to 1.6V. However, I already had the card @
1.6V, so I just did the othe two things, but they were no help.

"Enter Name Here" wrote in message
news
"Big F'n Deal" wrote in
:

"Big F'n Deal" wrote in message
[...]

Sapphire Radeon 9800SE + Shuttle machine = Problems Jiri Kuukasjärvi General 2 September 12th 04 11:17 AM
8KNXP Rev 2 BSOD and other problems (resolved). [email protected] Gigabyte Motherboards 1 April 25th 04 06:21 PM
DirectX Problems! Faustus Homebuilt PC's 4 December 24th 03 10:42 PM
Minolta 5400 problems Pygmi Scanners 6 December 4th 03 04:24 AM
Where Can I Find Info On Registry Keys To Remove Previous NVidia-GF4Card? jj Ati Videocards 6 September 28th 03 10:17 PM