scsi controller ? (obsolete ISA type)

Old May 3rd 04, 01:16 PM
philo

Default scsi controller ? (obsolete ISA type)

just for the heck of it i decided to work on a 486 that i had sitting
up in my attic. i have two ISA , SCSI controllers and a few small
SCSI harddrives.

due to too many IRQ conflicts, i had to remove the original ide controller
to get the SCSI controller to work (and it detects the harddrive fine)

however...the floppy drives were also connected to the original ide
controller
but when i connect them to the SCSI controller, they are not detected on
either of the controllers i have.

is there anything special i need to to in order to have the controllers
detect the floppy drives?

philo

Old May 3rd 04, 05:50 PM

philo wrote:
just for the heck of it i decided to work on a 486 that i had sitting
up in my attic. i have two ISA , SCSI controllers and a few small
SCSI harddrives.

due to too many IRQ conflicts, i had to remove the original ide controller
to get the SCSI controller to work (and it detects the harddrive fine)

however...the floppy drives were also connected to the original ide
controller
but when i connect them to the SCSI controller, they are not detected on
either of the controllers i have.

is there anything special i need to to in order to have the controllers
detect the floppy drives?

philo

Could it be that you have two floppy controllers enabled??? Try
disabling one of them. There may be a setting in CMOS for the on board
floppy controller, or a jumper on the SCSI card for disabling it.

Old May 3rd 04, 09:52 PM
philo

Could it be that you have two floppy controllers enabled??? Try
disabling one of them. There may be a setting in CMOS for the on board
floppy controller, or a jumper on the SCSI card for disabling it.

i guess i'd better go to the adaptec website and check the jumper
settings...
you sure can't tell by looking at it...
there is no option to enter cmos like there would be on the newer scsi cards

thanks

philo

Old May 3rd 04, 10:45 PM

philo wrote:
Could it be that you have two floppy controllers enabled??? Try
disabling one of them. There may be a setting in CMOS for the on board
floppy controller, or a jumper on the SCSI card for disabling it.

i guess i'd better go to the adaptec website and check the jumper
settings...
you sure can't tell by looking at it...
there is no option to enter cmos like there would be on the newer scsi cards

thanks

philo

What model of SCSI card do you have? Also, when I referred to CMOS, I
meant the CMOS for the mother board. Sometimes you can disable it and
the conflict with the controller on the SCSI card will go away.

Old May 3rd 04, 11:51 PM
philo

wrote in message

philo wrote:
Could it be that you have two floppy controllers enabled??? Try
disabling one of them. There may be a setting in CMOS for the on board
floppy controller, or a jumper on the SCSI card for disabling it.

i guess i'd better go to the adaptec website and check the jumper
settings...
you sure can't tell by looking at it...
there is no option to enter cmos like there would be on the newer scsi

cards

thanks

philo

What model of SCSI card do you have? Also, when I referred to CMOS, I
meant the CMOS for the mother board. Sometimes you can disable it and
the conflict with the controller on the SCSI card will go away.

yes...i knew that...i tried it both ways. with floppies enabled in the
(mobo) bios
and without.

the two boards i have are AHA-1542b & 1522

the last time i checked , adaptec did still list the specs of obsolete
boards on their website... i just recalled seeing jumpers to set the IRQ...

i'll have to go back there and look around when i get the time

thanks... this was more a matter of curiosity...it's not like i really need
to use a 486 G !

philo

Old May 4th 04, 02:26 AM

philo wrote:
wrote in message

philo wrote:

[...]

The file you want is aha1540b_um.pdf and there were two hits on Google.
They are both in Taiwan, so I don't know what it will look like. I
have the file and will send it if you want and post a valid address. It
is 709 KB in size. Let me caution you however, I had a very similar
experience with these boards, and I don't know that I ever solved it.
Your results may vary.

Old May 4th 04, 04:24 AM
philo

The file you want is aha1540b_um.pdf and there were two hits on Google.
They are both in Taiwan, so I don't know what it will look like. I
have the file and will send it if you want and post a valid address. It
is 709 KB in size. Let me caution you however, I had a very similar
experience with these boards, and I don't know that I ever solved it.
Your results may vary.

thank you for very valuable help!

according the the manual on the 1542B pin1 of jumper J8 must be on
to enable floppy....the jumper was off...so i'll have to give it a try
tomorrow

much appreciated!

philo

Old May 4th 04, 12:30 PM

philo wrote:
The file you want is aha1540b_um.pdf and there were two hits on Google.
They are both in Taiwan, so I don't know what it will look like. I
have the file and will send it if you want and post a valid address. It
is 709 KB in size. Let me caution you however, I had a very similar
experience with these boards, and I don't know that I ever solved it.
Your results may vary.

thank you for very valuable help!

according the the manual on the 1542B pin1 of jumper J8 must be on
to enable floppy....the jumper was off...so i'll have to give it a try
tomorrow

much appreciated!

philo

You might experiment with the address used by the floppy controller on
the SCSI card in addition to the enable/disable jumper. It is possible
that you might avoid the conflict with the correct setting. As I said,
I did not have much luck, but you might if you stick with it?

Old May 4th 04, 07:34 PM
philo

You might experiment with the address used by the floppy controller on
the SCSI card in addition to the enable/disable jumper. It is possible
that you might avoid the conflict with the correct setting. As I said,
I did not have much luck, but you might if you stick with it?

guess what?
i just put on the jumper and it worked on the first try...
( i just put the scsi card in place of the ide controller)

thanks!

philo