Dual CPU

Old March 13th 04, 11:31 PM
Steve Schooler

Default Dual CPU

I'm going to build a new PC, and I wonder if it's worthwhile for me to go with
a dual CPU. Questions:

1. What does a dual CPU really signify? If it's 2 (or more) CPU's on one
motherboard, does that mean that only one operating system can be running
(e.g. I won't be able to run Windows XP and Linux simultaneously)?

2. What is a dual CPU used for?

3. Are there internet references that discuss dual CPU's?

4. How much more expensive is a dual vs single CPU machine? Assume P4 2800
(or
higher) MHz?

5. How much more complicated is a dual CPU to build?
Old March 14th 04, 12:26 AM
JT

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 22:31:56 GMT, (Steve Schooler)
wrote:

I'm going to build a new PC, and I wonder if it's worthwhile for me to go with
a dual CPU. Questions:

1. What does a dual CPU really signify? If it's 2 (or more) CPU's on one
motherboard, does that mean that only one operating system can be running
(e.g. I won't be able to run Windows XP and Linux simultaneously)?

2. What is a dual CPU used for?

3. Are there internet references that discuss dual CPU's?

4. How much more expensive is a dual vs single CPU machine? Assume P4 2800
(or
higher) MHz?

5. How much more complicated is a dual CPU to build?

start at
http://forums.2cpu.com/ in the newcomers area.

1. Dual cpu means you have 2 cpus running in the system. Only one main OS
will be running. Using software such as VMWare, you can have a second guest
OS running as well.

2. Dual CPU systems are used for pretty much what a single CPU system is
used for. Primarily used when speed is needed, or when you have a processor
intensive, multithreaded application.

3. See above.

4. P4's don't do dual cpu, so that eliminates that right from the start.
You can do dual P3, dual Athlon's, dual Xeon's, dual Opterons though. If
you just want to play with Dual CPU, dual P3 systems are fairly
inexpensive.

5. Complicated and expensive enough that you need to do some more homework
before tackling such a project.

JT
Old March 14th 04, 12:34 AM
JT

Also http://www.2cpu.com/articles/6_1.html for the basics
Old March 14th 04, 12:02 PM
Bubba

Steve Schooler's log on stardate 13 ožu 2004

1. What does a dual CPU really signify? If it's 2 (or more) CPU's
on one motherboard, does that mean that only one operating system
can be running (e.g. I won't be able to run Windows XP and Linux
simultaneously)?

Hm?

2. What is a dual CPU used for?

For multi threading. It's a bit to complicated to explain if you don't
have a direct question. This one is too generaln. And ofcours, you have to
have programs that supports work with x CPUs.

4. How much more expensive is a dual vs single CPU machine? Assume
P4 2800 (or higher) MHz?

Since P4 doen't support SMP, then as an equivalent of P4, Xeon must be
used. So, you need adequat board, and x CPUs.

5. How much more complicated is a dual CPU to build?

Except putting second CPU, not much (if you refer only to connecting the
components).

--
Ja sjedoh, svi sjedoshe
Ja ustah, svi ustashe!
Old March 14th 04, 02:40 PM
Jim S

"Steve Schooler" wrote in message
m...
I'm going to build a new PC, and I wonder if it's worthwhile for me to go

with
a dual CPU. Questions:

1. What does a dual CPU really signify? If it's 2 (or more) CPU's on one
motherboard, does that mean that only one operating system can be

running
(e.g. I won't be able to run Windows XP and Linux simultaneously)?

2. What is a dual CPU used for?

3. Are there internet references that discuss dual CPU's?

4. How much more expensive is a dual vs single CPU machine? Assume P4

2800
(or
higher) MHz?

5. How much more complicated is a dual CPU to build?

1.)Yes, 2 cpu's. Most will run "up to" 2 cpu's which means you can start out
with one and leave the other socket empty.
2.)The same thing a single CPU is used for.
3.)Yes http://63.247.90.190/?stwmfs
4.)Usually more than twice as expensive if you include the second cpu, but
the motherboard itself can be found in the sameprice range as a high end
single cpu board.
5.) No more complicated. The OS typically recognizes it without any problem.

Old March 14th 04, 04:21 PM
Mike Walsh

Steve Schooler wrote:

I'm going to build a new PC, and I wonder if it's worthwhile for me to go with
a dual CPU. Questions:

1. What does a dual CPU really signify? If it's 2 (or more) CPU's on one
motherboard, does that mean that only one operating system can be running
(e.g. I won't be able to run Windows XP and Linux simultaneously)?

A dual CPU system uses two CPUs. You can run only one OS at a time. Most current OSs support dual processors. DOS, Win9x, and I think WinXP home, will not use the second processor.

2. What is a dual CPU used for?

Server software and some home and business software e.g. video editing will use two processors. Most applications will run on only one processor, but if you run more than one processor intensive application at the same time it will be to your adavatage to have two processors.

3. Are there internet references that discuss dual CPU's?

Try Goggle.

4. How much more expensive is a dual vs single CPU machine? Assume P4 2800
(or
higher) MHz?

Dual processor motherboards are not nearly as expensive as they used to be. The biggest cost will be the second CPU.

5. How much more complicated is a dual CPU to build?

Not complicated, just make sure you have enough power and cooling for two CPUs.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old March 14th 04, 11:53 PM
DaveW

There are NO P4 dual CPU motherboard's on the market. This fact may affect
your decision.

--
DaveW