A7N8X DELUXe Lan Problem

Old January 17th 04, 01:47 AM
Elteto

Default A7N8X DELUXe Lan Problem

Hi to all,

I just bought a mobo A7N8X DELUXe and I use it with amd 2800+ barton
and w2k. I tried to make a little lan with a cross cable to a laptop
but it do not work with both the 3com and nvidia onboard cards. I
allready tested the cable and it's ok. The two lan are enable in bios,
the drivers are correct. When the two pc are connected the icon in
right tray say that the pc-lan is connected at 100Mb but no packet is
received, only trasmitted. So I can't neither ping the two pc each
other. What's wrong? Is something missing? Can someone help me?

Thank a lot
Stefano
Old January 17th 04, 02:31 AM
Barry Walsh

Elteto wrote:
Hi to all,

I just bought a mobo A7N8X DELUXe and I use it with amd 2800+ barton
and w2k. I tried to make a little lan with a cross cable to a laptop
but it do not work with both the 3com and nvidia onboard cards. I
allready tested the cable and it's ok. The two lan are enable in bios,
the drivers are correct. When the two pc are connected the icon in
right tray say that the pc-lan is connected at 100Mb but no packet is
received, only trasmitted. So I can't neither ping the two pc each
other. What's wrong? Is something missing? Can someone help me?

Thank a lot
Stefano

What IP address did you give each machine if any?
Old January 17th 04, 02:34 AM
Peter Connolly

Elteto wrote:
Hi to all,

I just bought a mobo A7N8X DELUXe and I use it with amd 2800+ barton
and w2k. I tried to make a little lan with a cross cable to a laptop
but it do not work with both the 3com and nvidia onboard cards. I
allready tested the cable and it's ok. The two lan are enable in bios,
the drivers are correct. When the two pc are connected the icon in
right tray say that the pc-lan is connected at 100Mb but no packet is
received, only trasmitted. So I can't neither ping the two pc each
other. What's wrong? Is something missing? Can someone help me?

Thank a lot
Stefano

Try to ping 127.0.0.1 from each machine. If you can't, there is an issue
with TCP which needs resolving first.

Did you give each card an IP address? You won't have a DHCP server available
to you, and they won't magically pick one up from anywhere else.

To check the IP address of the cards, right-click on the Network Tray Icon,
and select 'Status'. Click on 'Support', and it will show you your IP
address. If the IP addresses are in the format 169.254.x.x, it won't work;
Windows generates these addresses when it cannot find a DHCP enabled
network, and these addresses are totally useless!

If you do get 169.254.x.x addresses, you need to manually configure TCP/IP,
doing the following (I'm going to assume XP, because it's different across
differing versions of Windows);

1. Right-click on the tray icon, and select 'Status'
2. Click on the button 'Properties'. The Local Area Network Connection
dialog box will open.
3. In the box titled 'This connection uses the following items:', find and
highlight the entry for 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)', and click Properties.
4. Tick the radio button 'Use the following IP address', and enter the
following details;
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
5. Leave the default gateway and DNS entries blank (worry about them when
your network gets more complex)
6. Click OK twice to leave the Local Area Network Connection dialog boxes.
7. Check the IP address of your card; it should now be 192.168.1.1.

Once you've done that on the first machine, you need to do it on the second.
Note that each machine needs a different IP address, so give the second
machine the address of 192.168.1.2.

Note also that if your laptop is used on an office network at a different
location, make the changes above into the 'Alternate Configuration' tab in
the TCP/IP settings (change from 'Automatic Private Address' to 'User
Configured'. It will then still work on the office network, which probably
does have a DHCP server.

You should now be able to ping your machines from each other.

HTH,

Pete.

Old January 17th 04, 10:01 AM
Elteto

"Peter Connolly" wrote in message ...
Elteto wrote:
[...]

Thank you Pete,

Sorry but I forgot to explain in the first message that I had
configurated the tcp address like following:

3com ethernet control ip: 192.168.0.3
nVidia nforce ip: 192.168.0.1
lap top : 192.168.0.2

The situation is very strange because every lan device, even the
laptop card (that works properly at office), seems to be able to
transmit packets but not to receive. When I put the mouse over the
network tray icon I see the following:

Old January 17th 04, 11:38 PM
Gino Zantafio

On my computer:
With both LAN enabled in the BIOS, 3Com doesn't work, Nvidia is OK.
When only one, whetever it is, it works perfectly.

You don't tell what LAN adaptor fails, 3Com or Nvidia ,
If nvidia, check these links:
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150240
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/view...=0&postorder=a
sc&start=45&sid=19978a81c4c649c742b2e5ac943e70a3
If 3Com, I don't have a clue, still looking for any !

Old January 18th 04, 12:29 PM
Elteto

Grazie Gino,

I allready tried to disable both the devices but it seems that nothing
change, they behave the same. I tried too uninstall 3com drivers and
disable the nic in the bios but nVidia does not work anyway.

I thing I'm gonna buy a pci network device and uninstall both 3com and
nVidia. It's a pity because the rest of the mobo is really good. I
preffer do not manage with the flash bios (and it's rel.1007, I thing
the newest). I'm wating an answer from asus technical support too,
hope they can tell me something. If you, or someone else, have another
suggest it is very appreciate.

Ciao
Stefano

Old January 19th 04, 10:03 PM
Gino Zantafio

Unfortunately, I don't have any valuable information more.
Did you search yahoo for asus & 3com & fail or similar ?

Other question:
Do you have the same protocols on both computers ?
With different OS, sometimes netbeui helps.
Do your two computers belong to the same workgroup ?

Good luck

Old January 21st 04, 11:21 AM
Elteto

(Arnie Berger) wrote in message . com...
(Elteto) wrote in message . com...
Hi to all,

I just bought a mobo A7N8X DELUXe and I use it with amd 2800+ barton
and w2k. I tried to make a little lan with a cross cable to a laptop
but it do not work with both the 3com and nvidia onboard cards. I
allready tested the cable and it's ok. The two lan are enable in bios,
the drivers are correct. When the two pc are connected the icon in
right tray say that the pc-lan is connected at 100Mb but no packet is
received, only trasmitted. So I can't neither ping the two pc each
other. What's wrong? Is something missing? Can someone help me?

Thank a lot
Stefano

This may be dumb question, but are you sure that your cross cable is
configured correctly? You should be able to at least ping the other
computer.

ab

Hi Arnie,

Yes, too bad I have to say, I tested the cable connecting two other pc
together and it works very well.

Yesterday I made another test: I connected the two onboard nic (3com
and Nvidia) together with the same cross cable making a loop on the
same pc. Incredible! They sent and received each other very well.

So I'm going to think that is the laptop's nic that does not like to
communicate with 3com or nvidia nic, even if I tried to connect the
laptop with another laptop with the same crosscable and everything was
perfect.

I have to make the last test before to go to the vendor and ask for
change the mobo: connect with a normal cable and a little hub.

If you another suggestion, it is appreciate
Thanks
Stefano