Nero Express "verifying the compilation" for four hours?!? (DVD burn took 16 minutes)

Old August 24th 04, 11:08 PM
Dave Burton

Default Nero Express "verifying the compilation" for four hours?!? (DVD burn took 16 minutes)

Using...

a new BENQ 4x DVD+R burner and
ProMedia DVD+R 2.4x-4x media on a
dual 1 GHz PIII Win2K box w/ 512 MB RAM and all current Windows
Updates and
Nero Expres v5.5.10.26,

.... I burned a little under 4 GB of files onto a DVD+R in about 16
minutes, which I think is about right. Everything seemed to go fine.
Then Nero ejected the DVD momentarily, re-closed the drawer, and
started its "verifying the compilation" step.

That was over 3 hours ago (3:44 to be exact), and it is still
verifying. It says that it is 95% done. The little green light on
the burner is blinking away busily. No errors have been reported.
But about 2.5 hours ago it was at 87%, so at the current rate of
progress it'll take a total of 4-6 hours to finish verifying!

Does anybody know what is wrong, and how to fix it?

-Dave
dave146 at burtonsys.com
Old August 25th 04, 10:50 AM
Markus Islinger

Dave Burton wrote:

Does anybody know what is wrong, and how to fix it?

Did your compilation contain lots of small files?
I had the same problems when I burned a DVD with
thousands of small (4k) files. Verification seems to be
extremely inefficient for such a compilation.

It seems that you will have to wait or switch off
verification.

Markus
Old August 25th 04, 05:25 PM
Dave Burton

Markus Islinger wrote in message ...
Dave Burton wrote:

Does anybody know what is wrong, and how to fix it?

Did your compilation contain lots of small files?
I had the same problems when I burned a DVD with
thousands of small (4k) files. Verification seems to be
extremely inefficient for such a compilation.

Well, it finally finished. No errors were reported. The
DVD seems to be fine, though I don't know how to tell
whether there are read errors and retries or ECC-recovery
going on.

It took 1:40 to do its pre-burn processing, 14:31 to burn,
and 4:05:21 to verify. That means that the verify took
about 17x as long as the burn.

There are 57,157 files and folders, totaling 3,645,911,664
bytes, which means the average file size is about 64K. Do
you consider 64K to be a small file?

BTW, this is Nero Express v5.5.10.26, which came bundled
with an inexpensive Benq DVD+R burner from TigerDirect.

-Dave
Old August 26th 04, 11:44 AM
Markus Islinger

Dave Burton wrote:

There are 57,157 files and folders, totaling 3,645,911,664
bytes, which means the average file size is about 64K. Do
you consider 64K to be a small file?

I would say 64k is small, especially compared to usual
DVD Audio/Video file sizes.
Old August 26th 04, 08:09 PM
CWatters

"Dave Burton" wrote in message

Well, it finally finished. No errors were reported. The
DVD seems to be fine, though I don't know how to tell
whether there are read errors and retries or ECC-recovery
going on.

That does sound likely. Usually Nero on my PC takes less time to do the
verify.

If you can afford it or the data is critical I would burn the thing again.

Nero help needed foghat Cdr 0 May 31st 04 08:23 PM
Nero 5.5.x compilation file: burn contents of \folder\* ? RJ Cdr 0 November 11th 03 07:18 PM
NERO Express -- Novice Q David Rafky Cdr 2 October 12th 03 11:02 PM
Nero Express Colin Bearfield Cdr 1 October 12th 03 02:13 AM
nero would only start in nero express... mark24951 Cdr 1 July 29th 03 04:45 AM