Scarcity of High Speed, Ultra Speed, and Ultra Speed Plus CDRW media?

Old April 9th 04, 09:16 PM
Dave Cohen

Default Scarcity of High Speed, Ultra Speed, and Ultra Speed Plus CDRW media?

My machine came with a Samsung 52x cd-r, 24x cd-rw. I tried 10x and Ultra
Speed memorex. The 10x works well, Ultra not so good. This is the only
brands I've seen offered in stores. Does the old 4x cd-rw fine. The cd-r
part works fine.
Dave Cohen
wrote in message news:sdDdc.3000$192.1220@lakeread06...
I've been thinking about replacing my old CRX140E CD-RW drive with the
newer Sony CRX230E which claims to read and write to CDR at 52x while
rewriting to CDRW at 32x. I went to Compusa, Bestbuy, and Office
Depot, as well as a few other local computer stores but found that
most of the CD-RW media being sold is 1x-4x type and that there are
not much in terms of high speed cd-rw and ultra speed cd-rw except for
a box of 5 or 10 at best and some of those at 650MB instead of 700MB.
I can't even find any ultraspeed plus cdrws except for Verbatim after
a long google search. Since I use cd-rws more than cd-rs because of
their reusability, my primary reason of upgrading the cd-rw drive was
to get better rewrite speeds past 4x which of course require both the
drive and the media to be that. Are these higher speed cd-rw media
past 4x not reliable for longer term storage? And why is it that the
drives come out as 32x rewritable yet 16x-24 and 32x rewritable cd
media is rare? Should I stick to CRX140E and not go for CRX230E?
Please help.

Old April 9th 04, 10:30 PM
Dan G

The Sony is made by LiteOn, it's the 52327S drive. You can get the same
drive much cheaper with better performance and firmware as a Memorex or as a
LiteOn.

No RW media is suitable for long term storage, and never has been or will
be. Use only the Verbatim media, you'll have to get it on line. It works
well enough, either the 24x or 32x. The 32x is not really much faster.