Quiet a Shuttle SB752G2?

Old December 15th 03, 04:53 AM
Noozer

Default Quiet a Shuttle SB752G2?

Take a look at the back of this Shuttle PC...

http://images.sudhian.com/review/sff.../Figure_4a.jpg

.... If the grill/case was cut away from where the fan blows out, wouldn't
that make a BIG difference to cooling and quieting the computer?

Old December 15th 03, 06:44 AM
kony

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 03:53:09 GMT, "Noozer"
wrote:

Take a look at the back of this Shuttle PC...

http://images.sudhian.com/review/sff.../Figure_4a.jpg

... If the grill/case was cut away from where the fan blows out, wouldn't
that make a BIG difference to cooling and quieting the computer?

Yes, that will help a LOT, but there are some other considerations
that go along with the idea.

If you were to reduce the fan RPM so air movement remains constant,
you'd reduce noise but not cooling to any major extent, but that would
better preserve the present airflow design. The more air you move out
that fan (hole), the less you'll be moving through the power supply,
which may be as likely to fail from heat as the rest of the system. I
would expect significantly less air though the power supply if you cut
that out. Those power supplies with tiny fans don't move a lot of
air to begin with so it's good to preserve as much of that airflow as
possible.

I'm not suggesting that you not modify it, but to also look at ways to
increase airflow efficiency though the power supply. Cutting out the
power supply's rear grill may not be enough, you might need to alter
it's intake, but again taking care to keep the airflow pattern
similar, not diverting air away from the path it was designed to
follow.

With all of the above, futher gains will be see from increasing air
intake passageways, but again looking at where, how it affects airflow
distribution. Airflow over the motherboard's power regulation region
should not be reduced, nor around the hard drive.

Dave
Old December 15th 03, 07:51 AM
Noozer

Take a look at the back of this Shuttle PC...

http://images.sudhian.com/review/sff.../Figure_4a.jpg

... If the grill/case was cut away from where the fan blows out, wouldn't
that make a BIG difference to cooling and quieting the computer?

I'm not suggesting that you not modify it, but to also look at ways to
increase airflow efficiency though the power supply. Cutting out the
power supply's rear grill may not be enough, you might need to alter
it's intake, but again taking care to keep the airflow pattern
similar, not diverting air away from the path it was designed to
follow.

This particular Shuttle has screening on each side of the case to allow
airflow in, so I don't think there will be a problem getting the air in.
There's a picture (not the best) at:

http://images.sudhian.com/review/sff...2/Figure_7.jpg

The PSU acutally has two 40mm fans pulling air through. I doubt that they
move much air. I will probably end up trying to mount a fan on the side the
case sucking cool are into the PSU.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like this is the way I'm going to go.

Old December 30th 03, 05:53 PM
Rich

I installed an AIW 9800 Pro graphics card in an SB75G2 and blew the
standard power supply after about a month to six weeks. I replaced the
power supply with an external power supply (ThermalTake 480W pn W0010)
and ran the lines into the case through the former internal power
supply's connector location. So far, so good after a week.
Using Aida32 to check temps, the CPU gets up to about 47 C when
running a DVD (Plextor 504A drive). Nothing else but a hard drive and
floppy installed. Nothing in the PCI slot.