USB on A7N8X deluxe - problem

Old July 5th 03, 02:15 PM
Art C.

If I recall correctly, you should install the USB speed touch drivers first
reboot the system then plug in the modem to proceed.
Worth a try!

Art C.

"Mark Walton"
ozIneverreply wrote in
message ...
Hi

I am setting up my A7N8X deluxe and have got to the last stage - install
modem.

My modem is the Speedtouch USB. It's the only USB device I own, when I

plug
it in I get a flashing red light on the modem (left-hand light) and

windows
does not try to install the device.

According to at least one source, the flashing-light on that modem means
there is too much USB activity. I wondered if it may be a problem with USB

2
compatibility so I switched to 1.1 only in the bios and tried again, same
result.

One (possibly not relevent) fact I noticed is that the USB and AGP are on
the same IRQ. I couldn't find a way to manually force them to

eperate -can
anyone advise? Or is the problem likely to be something else?

Thanks

MarkW

Old July 5th 03, 02:33 PM
Mark Walton

Default USB on A7N8X deluxe - problem

Hi

I am setting up my A7N8X deluxe and have got to the last stage - install
modem.

My modem is the Speedtouch USB. It's the only USB device I own, when I plug
it in I get a flashing red light on the modem (left-hand light) and windows
does not try to install the device.

According to at least one source, the flashing-light on that modem means
there is too much USB activity. I wondered if it may be a problem with USB 2
compatibility so I switched to 1.1 only in the bios and tried again, same
result.

One (possibly not relevent) fact I noticed is that the USB and AGP are on
the same IRQ. I couldn't find a way to manually force them to seperate -can

Old July 5th 03, 03:20 PM
Mark Walton

OK thanks I'll try that. I am gathering a list of options to try because
when I start, I will be offlined for a while (I have only one functioning
system at the moment and I'm using bits to set the second one up, so I can't
be on the net while I am at my most vulnerable! aaaaaaagh!)

Old July 6th 03, 04:10 AM
Paul

In article , "Mark Walton"
ozIneverreply wrote:

OK thanks I'll try that. I am gathering a list of options to try because
when I start, I will be offlined for a while (I have only one functioning
system at the moment and I'm using bits to set the second one up, so I can't
be on the net while I am at my most vulnerable! aaaaaaagh!)

Does the Speedtouch have a separate "wall wart" plugin transformer for
power ? There are some ADSL USB modems that draw their power from the USB
cable, and the Alcatel 330 "Frog" modem, for example, draws ~500 milliamps,
which is the limit for a USB port. The result is sometimes the port
shuts down.

I have a Speedtouch 1000 with Ethernet port, and the flashing red LED
operates during the self-test at powerup. After testing is complete,
the green LEDs flash and eventually go solid green, indicating sync
is complete.

Paul