SATA vs EIDE

Old December 31st 04, 11:41 AM
Scott

Default SATA vs EIDE

Which would you recommend?

I'm looking to either add an extra hd or replace the one I've got with
something that has a little more space.

Another quick question - Can SATA be used in conjunction with an EIDE hd?

Many thanks,

Scott

Old December 31st 04, 01:04 PM
RBM

SATA is the wave of the immediate future,is a little faster, and uses a nice
small data cable to connect it,so I'd go that route. If your motherboard
supports both types you can mix them. There are no master, slave
arrangements with SATA just individual channels

Old December 31st 04, 01:22 PM
jpsga

"Scott" wrote in message
Which would you recommend?

I'm looking to either add an extra hd or replace the one I've got with
something that has a little more space.

Another quick question - Can SATA be used in conjunction with an EIDE hd?

Many thanks,

Scott

Since you didn't tell us what board you own, we would recommend the safe
upgrade. Find a Maxtor Diamond Max 9 that is the size you want. Buy the
EIDE version.
JPS

Old December 31st 04, 02:18 PM
Odie Ferrous

jpsga wrote:

Since you didn't tell us what board you own, we would recommend the safe
upgrade. Find a Maxtor Diamond Max 9

Yeah, right. 2nd worst possible choice, after Hitachi.

Never mind - all good for my business.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
Old December 31st 04, 03:03 PM
Scott

"Scott" wrote in message
Which would you recommend?

I'm looking to either add an extra hd or replace the one I've got with
something that has a little more space.

Another quick question - Can SATA be used in conjunction with an EIDE hd?

Many thanks,

Scott

Cheers! Think my next drive WILL be an SATA one then. And sure if the other
one dies I'll replace that with another SATA instead of IDE.
Thanks again!

Scott

Old December 31st 04, 10:00 PM
zero

interesting . . .

Q) What are your top 5 bad drives makes and top 5 good makes ?

or is that a trade secret ?

:-)

Old January 1st 05, 01:49 PM
Bob Davis

"Scott" wrote in message

| Which would you recommend?

Depends on what you want to do. A typical SATA will not significantly
out-perform a 7200 8mb-buffer PATA, and today PATA's are a bargain in the
marketplace. E.g., check this out:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3483523

If you're doing disk-intensive work like I do, a fast SATA like the WD
Raptors will out-perform any PATA.

| I'm looking to either add an extra hd or replace the one I've got with
| something that has a little more space.
|
| Another quick question - Can SATA be used in conjunction with an EIDE hd?

You didn't say what you have now, but you can buy a new PATA or SATA and
clone the contents of the old drive onto the new using the software included
with the drive, if it's a retail version. If OEM you can download the
cloning utility from the manufacturer's site, or use Norton Ghost if you
have it.

There are some tricks to moving from PATA to SATA, and you didn't give any
details on the composition of your system. Upgrading PATA-to-PATA is
simple, however. Knowing the mobo model and present IDE configuration would
help.

Old January 1st 05, 02:06 PM
Bob Davis

"zero" wrote in message

| interesting . . .
|
| Q) What are your top 5 bad drives makes and top 5 good makes ?
|
| or is that a trade secret ?

Go to www.storagereview.com and register for the Reliability Survey, which
will tell you what other users are experiencing with every drive model under
the sun.

I use mostly WD's he

C: WD SATA Raptors (2) in RAID0 array, total 72gb.
D: Maxtor Diamondmax 9 PATA, 160gb.
J: WD 120gb PATA, exterior enclosure (Firewire)
K: WD 100gb PATA, exterior enclosure (Firewire)

J: and K: are powered on only when needed. I also rotate six PATA drives in
mobile racks for weekly cloning, three being old IBM's and three WD's.
However, one of the 5-year-old IBM 20gb drives in this group has recently
become slow to spin up, and I may toss it.

In the past 22 years I've used dozens of drives and have had only two fail,
only one catastrophically, which was an ancient 5mb (that's mb, not gb) MFM
drive circa 1985. Nowadays I put lots of air on my drives and they run
cool, which I think is a key to drive durability. The drive bay housing my
C: and D: drives has its own dedicated 80mm fan. The Maxtor runs 8-10°C
hotter when this fan is not running.

Old January 1st 05, 09:00 PM
BBUNNY

"Bob Davis" wrote in message

"zero" wrote in message

| interesting . . .
|
| Q) What are your top 5 bad drives makes and top 5 good makes ?
|
| or is that a trade secret ?

Go to www.storagereview.com and register for the Reliability Survey, which
will tell you what other users are experiencing with every drive model
under
the sun.

I use mostly WD's he

C: WD SATA Raptors (2) in RAID0 array, total 72gb.
D: Maxtor Diamondmax 9 PATA, 160gb.
J: WD 120gb PATA, exterior enclosure (Firewire)
K: WD 100gb PATA, exterior enclosure (Firewire)

J: and K: are powered on only when needed. I also rotate six PATA drives
in
mobile racks for weekly cloning, three being old IBM's and three WD's.
However, one of the 5-year-old IBM 20gb drives in this group has recently
become slow to spin up, and I may toss it.

In the past 22 years I've used dozens of drives and have had only two
fail,
only one catastrophically, which was an ancient 5mb (that's mb, not gb)
MFM
drive circa 1985. Nowadays I put lots of air on my drives and they run
cool, which I think is a key to drive durability. The drive bay housing
my
C: and D: drives has its own dedicated 80mm fan. The Maxtor runs 8-10°C
hotter when this fan is not running.

You **** it right. I won't use a case unless I can get an 80/92/120mm fan
right
in front of them. For the noise I prefer a 120.

Old January 2nd 05, 12:47 PM
Scott

"Bob Davis" wrote in message

"Scott" wrote in message

| Which would you recommend?

Depends on what you want to do. A typical SATA will not significantly
out-perform a 7200 8mb-buffer PATA, and today PATA's are a bargain in the
marketplace. E.g., check this out:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3483523

If you're doing disk-intensive work like I do, a fast SATA like the WD
Raptors will out-perform any PATA.

| I'm looking to either add an extra hd or replace the one I've got with
| something that has a little more space.
|
| Another quick question - Can SATA be used in conjunction with an EIDE
hd?

You didn't say what you have now, but you can buy a new PATA or SATA and
clone the contents of the old drive onto the new using the software
included
with the drive, if it's a retail version. If OEM you can download the
cloning utility from the manufacturer's site, or use Norton Ghost if you
have it.

There are some tricks to moving from PATA to SATA, and you didn't give any
details on the composition of your system. Upgrading PATA-to-PATA is
simple, however. Knowing the mobo model and present IDE configuration
would
help.

Sorry guys! I own an Aopen AK77-600GN
(http://www.aopen.nl/products/mb/AK77-600GN.htm)

I'm running an EIDE drive at the moment. I'm sure you don't need to know the
CPU speed or anything?

Scott

Installing 2nd HD (EIDE) with primary SATA HD Trexx General 4 September 27th 04 11:10 AM
SATA connectors Son4ta Homebuilt PC's 9 September 22nd 04 02:21 AM
EIDE to SATA: Duh? ToolPackinMama Homebuilt PC's 12 January 17th 04 06:51 PM
EIDE vs. SATA Practiacal speed Biker_Bry Overclocking 9 October 5th 03 09:43 PM
probs with win xp and sata hd P Gagg Overclocking 1 July 16th 03 08:05 PM