Windows halts at load screen - Athlon64 3000+ & Asus K8V Deluxe

Old January 3rd 04, 09:39 PM
MiMMiC

Default Windows halts at load screen - Athlon64 3000+ & Asus K8V Deluxe

Hello all.

I purchased an Athlon64 3000+ and an asus k8v deluxe, but when I
installed them and tried to boot into windows xp it will halt at the
Windows XP logo/loading bar.

The loading bar will continue to move, the HDD light on my case will
continue to flash.

I am able to get into Safe Mode. I am however unable to get into Safe
Mode with networking. I've tried disabling the onboard network,
audio, promise controller, and sata but I'm still having the problem.

I have reinstalled XP a total of 6 times and even tried the new
Windows Server 2003 eval version available from Microsofts website.

I've removed all expansion cards except for my graphics card (Agp -
there are no PCI cards on the mobo)

I am running the newest version of the BIOS for the mobo (1004)

Any advice on what to do to help me get my computer running would be
great.

I have also double checked all connections and parts on the
motherboard, I can't find anything wrong with it. I'm just wondering
if I have a defective mobo and need to RMA it...or if there is a fix
for this. Thanks

Computer:
AMD Athlon64 3000+
Asus K8V Deluxe
768meg RAM (PC2100 - Crucial)
GeforceFX 5600 256m RAM
120g WD 8m HD
Linksys Wireless-G network adapter
SB Audigy 2 Platinum with Live Drive

Like I said all of the PCI cards have been removed.
Old January 3rd 04, 10:13 PM
Anon

"MiMMiC" wrote in message
om...
Hello all.

I purchased an Athlon64 3000+ and an asus k8v deluxe, but when I
installed them and tried to boot into windows xp it will halt at the
Windows XP logo/loading bar.

The loading bar will continue to move, the HDD light on my case will
continue to flash.

I am able to get into Safe Mode. I am however unable to get into Safe
Mode with networking. I've tried disabling the onboard network,
audio, promise controller, and sata but I'm still having the problem.

I have reinstalled XP a total of 6 times and even tried the new
Windows Server 2003 eval version available from Microsofts website.

That processor alone will pull gobs of power all by itself. Now spin up the
hard drive to load windows, and it's possible there just isn't enough juice
to go around. Even if you have a 400W or better power supply, the total
output doesn't matter as much as how much power can be applied to any
specific voltage line. Try upgrading the power supply first (check the AMD
web site for suggestions). -Dave

Old January 4th 04, 12:42 PM
Ric

MiMMiC wrote:
[...]

bad ram or dodgy PSU? could be a dodgy board as well. unlikely to be CPU.
if you're using generic ram then swap that first: i recommend crucial.com...

Old January 4th 04, 05:39 PM
MiMMiC

Well. I've already got crucial ram. Also, I can't remember if I
posted that I can get into safe mode. However, I can NOT get into
Safe Mode with Networking. I'll probably run over to compusa or
bestbuy and pick up a 550w power supply later today to see if that
will help, if not..I'll return it. The only real thing I can think of
is a defective mobo but it seems to work correctly....except for not
letting me in windows xp. Thanks for the replys. If anyone else has
any ideas I'd like to hear them...
Old January 4th 04, 06:50 PM
Boff

An ability to boot in safe mode but an inability to boot windows normally is
almost always an indication of a driver problem. You mentioned
re-installing windows multiple times. I assume this means this was a clean
format and install of the OS to the hard disk? Or did you try to upgrade an
existing windows installation with a new motherboard and processor? This is
almost always a recipe for disaster. I'm curious to find out what problem
you are having as I will soon be doing a new build with the same processor
and mobo combo.

Boff

Old January 4th 04, 11:37 PM
MiMMiC

when I first got it installed I tried using my existing windows xp
install. That didn't work. So I did a quick format and clean
install. That didn't work. So I tried a FULL format and clean
install. Still unable to get into windows. Also, I just bought
another power supply. That hasn't helped either. I believe I got a
defective mobo. I'm going to contact asus tomorrow to see what they
have to say (stupid no tech support on weekends). If they can help
me..then I'll post how I got it working here. I'm doing another
install of Windows Server 2003 to see if I can possibly fix it with
that since I have the new power supply. Thanks for the help..if
anyone has any other comments please post.
Old January 4th 04, 11:39 PM
MiMMiC

Also, the 3rd time I installed xp I went ahead and tried to install
all the drivers on the mobo cd. I was able to install all of the
drivers for the mobo. The only unknown device in the Device Manager
was my graphics card, which I didn't bother to put my nvidia drivers
on my USB HD. I might try that in a few. So...with all drivers
except the video drivers installed...XP would not boot.
Old January 6th 04, 03:15 PM
Ancra

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 21:13:18 GMT, "Anon" wrote:

"MiMMiC" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

The Athlon64 3000+ is only about 70W. No big deal.

ancra