A7N8X-E XP2400+ to ???

Old December 20th 04, 03:41 PM
Alni

Default A7N8X-E XP2400+ to ???

Hi,

Knowing that AMD XP series are on the way to be discontinued,
what should be my best choice to replace my XP2400+ ?

-XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB400
-XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB333

--
Alni

Old December 20th 04, 08:05 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:41:25 +0100, Alni wrote:

Hi,

Knowing that AMD XP series are on the way to be discontinued,
what should be my best choice to replace my XP2400+ ?

-XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB400
-XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB333

You won't see much of an improvement either way. If you want to stay with
socket A, just oc your current cpu and don't waste money on a new one.
The extra cache of the Barton core won't be that much of an improvement.
If you want a noticable improvement switch to socket 754 or 939. A cheap
overclocked Sempron 3100+ will get you to about 3800+ (A64) speeds.

Old December 21st 04, 09:24 AM
Alni

Bonjour,

Wes Newell said :
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:41:25 +0100, Alni wrote:

Hi,

Knowing that AMD XP series are on the way to be discontinued,
what should be my best choice to replace my XP2400+ ?

-XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB400
-XP3000+ / XP3200+ FSB333

You won't see much of an improvement either way. If you want to stay with
socket A, just oc your current cpu and don't waste money on a new one.
The extra cache of the Barton core won't be that much of an improvement.
If you want a noticable improvement switch to socket 754 or 939. A cheap
overclocked Sempron 3100+ will get you to about 3800+ (A64) speeds.

I would like to oc' the 2400 but the multiplier is locked to 15,
and it doesnt run stable above 150Mhz = 2250 @1.775v.
I have 1Go Samsung PC3200 and got better PCMarks running the ram sync
to the FSB with more agressives timings than setting the ram near
200mhz with standard timings .
I'm using the stock cooler and it's running 55° full load.
Should I expect an improvement with a better cooler ?

--
Alni

Old December 21st 04, 10:00 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:24:02 +0100, Alni wrote:

Bonjour,

Wes Newell said :
[...]

Well 2250MHz is a pretty good OC.

I'm using the stock cooler and it's running 55° full load.
Should I expect an improvement with a better cooler ?

Yes. The stock XP coolers aren't very good at all.

Old December 21st 04, 09:59 PM
Alni

Bonjour,

Wes Newell a présenté l'énoncé suivant :

Well 2250MHz is a pretty good OC.

a kind of XP2800/266

I'm using the stock cooler and it's running 55° full load.
Should I expect an improvement with a better cooler ?

Yes. The stock XP coolers aren't very good at all.

Yes I know it's crap, but should I expect a mhz improvement by using a
better cooler ?
nb: The XP2400 doenst run stable @2310 even @1,850v (which is the max V
on A7N8X-E) even after a very cold start it always crash in minutes
while the T° doesn't reach more than 55° (T° which is OK @2250mhz)

at least, thanx for the replies

--
Alni

Old December 22nd 04, 07:28 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:59:06 +0100, Alni wrote:

Bonjour,

Wes Newell a présenté l'énoncé suivant :

Well 2250MHz is a pretty good OC.

a kind of XP2800/266

I'm using the stock cooler and it's running 55° full load.
Should I expect an improvement with a better cooler ?

Yes. The stock XP coolers aren't very good at all.

Yes I know it's crap, but should I expect a mhz improvement by using a
better cooler ?
nb: The XP2400 doenst run stable @2310 even @1,850v (which is the max V
on A7N8X-E) even after a very cold start it always crash in minutes
while the T° doesn't reach more than 55° (T° which is OK @2250mhz)

It's hard to say for sure, but if it boots and runs Ok for a few minutes
at 2310MHz, then it's likely to run of at that speed or higher with a good
cooler. Before I replaced the old aluminum cooler on the cpu below it
would crash before getting the OS loaded. No problems with a new hybrid cu
$10 cooler (TR2-M3). On a newer board with a better PSu, it even went
higher.

Old December 30th 04, 11:09 AM
John F. Regus

3200/400
This will last you a long time, works great with NVIDIA based graphics cards
and NVIDIA drivers.

Don't count AMD out of coming out with at least one or two more socket 462
processors.

There just is no 64 bit software to exploit the hardware. It is all hype.

Old December 30th 04, 04:49 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:09:05 +0000, John F. Regus wrote:

3200/400
This will last you a long time, works great with NVIDIA based graphics
cards and NVIDIA drivers.

Don't count AMD out of coming out with at least one or two more socket 462
processors.

Socket A XP's have already been discontinued. You won't see any new cpus
for it. At least nothing faster than the 3200+ (unless it's a Sempron,
which uses higher ratings at slower speeds).

There just is no 64 bit software to exploit the hardware. It is all
hype.

There doesn't have to be any 64 bit software, although almost all linux
programs have 64bit compatible programs and have had 64bit kernels for a
few years now. The CPU's operate 32bit code faster than the previous
32bit cpu's.

A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
High temps with the Asus A7N8X SPRITE1001 Overclocking AMD Processors 5 April 19th 04 08:28 AM
A7N8X Problems Jason Overclocking AMD Processors 8 March 14th 04 11:28 AM
Asus a7n8x and Matrox G400 VP General 1 January 31st 04 03:11 AM
setting up a Xp2400 JULIAN HALES Overclocking AMD Processors 4 October 2nd 03 05:57 PM