P4 2.8C OCing Results??

Old May 5th 04, 07:01 PM
Ed Forsythe

Default P4 2.8C OCing Results??

Hi Troops,
I've got my 2.8C up to 3360MHz but it's not quite stable - reboots after
some intense flying in my sim.

Intel 2.8C, SL6WT, Zalman 7000A, ABIT IC7-Max3, ATI 9800 Pro w/Zalman VGA
cooler + fan, 1G OCZ Deluxe Gold PC4000. Lian-Li full tower case (PC-75)
with 6 fans (2-front intake, 2- lower rear exhaust, 2-upper rear exhaust),
PCP&C 510 P/S.
Settings:
NB Strap - By CPU
Dram Ratio - 1:1
AGP Ratio - Fixed
Fixed AGP/PCI Freq - 66/33
CPU Core V - 1.725v (Too high? Temp = 48° idle, 54-56° load)
DDR SDRAM V - 2.7v
AGP V - 1.55v
DRAM Timings - Manual 3,8,4,4
AGP - 8x

3DMark2003 = 5873 (good/bad/mediocre?)

I checked Overclockers.com and my CPU voltage is already higher than 99% of
the DB responders. Think I should raise my DDR V to 2.8? 3.4GHz is OK if
it's stable but I was hoping for 3.5 :-(

--
Tally Ho!
Ed Forsythe

Old May 5th 04, 11:58 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Ed Forsythe" wrote
Think I should raise my DDR V to 2.8? 3.4GHz is OK if
it's stable but I was hoping for 3.5 :-(

Hi Ed,
good to hear you got your rig together. I have been reading that you should
first increase vDimm *before* you increase vCore.
--
Wayne ][

Old May 6th 04, 12:17 AM
Ed Forsythe

OK Wayne, I'll back off to 2.8GHz then increase DDR SDRAM (vDiimm?) to 2.8.
Boot and fiddle then increase vCore to 1.7 shoot for 3.4 again and see what
happens. Still the troops on Overclockers.com are getting excellent results
with voltages (vCore) in the 1.6 range. Or maybe I'll just be satisfied
at 3.2GHz. Frankly I can't see any real difference between 3.4 and 3.2.
When I was using a sim at 3.4 MBM indicated my CPU temp was 61°C - that's a
bit too high for me. Thanks for the tip
--
Tally Ho!
Ed Forsythe

"Ed Forsythe" wrote

Old May 9th 04, 07:47 AM
Pham

Ed Forsythe wrote:

OK Wayne, I'll back off to 2.8GHz then increase DDR SDRAM (vDiimm?) to 2.8.
Boot and fiddle then increase vCore to 1.7 shoot for 3.4 again and see what
happens. Still the troops on Overclockers.com are getting excellent results
with voltages (vCore) in the 1.6 range. Or maybe I'll just be satisfied
at 3.2GHz. Frankly I can't see any real difference between 3.4 and 3.2.
When I was using a sim at 3.4 MBM indicated my CPU temp was 61°C - that's a
bit too high for me. Thanks for the tip

How'd it go, Ed?
Inquiring minds want to know... they also want to go FASTER!
-Pham
Old May 10th 04, 01:57 AM
Ed Forsythe

Hi Pham,
I'm still at 2.8 contemplating another try at 3.2 or 3.4. Maybe I'm just a
candy-a** but the high temps really bothered me. When I have time/guts for
another go I'll post
--
Tally Ho!
Ed Forsythe

"Pham" wrote in message
s.com...

Old May 11th 04, 06:33 PM
wasdiscovered

"Ed Forsythe" wrote in message
[...]

Yes you vcore is to high and your AGPV is to low. Put both your mem and core
volts to specs. Check your idle and load temps and write them down. It's
important to do this before you o/c because the max three reads temps high.
Start at 2.8 and work your way up. Use prime and memtest as you slowly
increase your speed. Increase vcore by the smallest increments and only when
needed. Mem voltage should not be increased until your o/c becomes totally
obscene. Closely monitor your temps. If you get to a point where the small
vcore increase does not help then instead of moving the vcore even higher
try raising the AGP.At a certain pointt AGP voltage will cause problems.
Usually it happens higher than 3.3 but I personally run mine at 1.65.

Here are some bios settings you might try.
Set nb strap to 800 and disable the last two gat settings. Disable cache
bios and the other cache one next to it hmm? I forgot what it was called.
Don't use auto settings if you know what the setting should be. ie. divider
1:1 not auto.

P.S. Taking into account that the fan on your power supply is an exhaust fan
this mean that you have 5 exhaust fans and 2 intake fans. This is not good.
The total cfm of the two should be more closely matched.

Old May 11th 04, 10:40 PM
Ed Forsythe

Hi WD,
Thanks for the tips. I'll use them when I OC again. I'm not sure I agree
with your cooling adviice. I'm inclined to go for a negative pressure in
the case so that cool air is drawn in from every possible ingress point. A
positive case pressure would, IMHO, cause hot air to pile up inside the case
disrupting the laminar flow in the theoretical non-turbulent plenum. I
suppose a 1:1 system would be perfect theoretically but you'd need a sealed
case with no turbulence producing obstructions to insure that it would work
at max efficiency. Tell you what - next time I'm in the case I'll
disconnect the two top exhaust fans and check my temps Thanks again -
--
Tally Ho!
Ed Forsythe

Old May 11th 04, 11:17 PM
end user

The laws of physics can only be applied to a certain point. You must
take all the wire & cables in the system into consideration plus
interference from other cards ie video, nic etc.. Your lower fans
will suck out air pushed in from the front fans leaving the upper fans
sucking vacuum (path of least resistance) Your upper fans will attempt
(not necc do) suck in air from the other orifices/or cracks in the
case (couldn't resist that one;-). Heat rises it does not drop to the
bottom of the case.

Is your CPU in line with the lower fans or is it higher? If higher
the incoming air (front fans) will not be available to cool it,
passing by at a lower level.

Solution disconnect at least 1 lower fan to direct air flow past the
CPU or open a decent hole in the upper front of the case so that
negative pressure has something to work with other than vacuum.

I do not find your load temps that high, Mine is 48C. Idle temps are
27C however.

Locust

Old May 14th 04, 08:02 AM
Erez Volach

[...]

Operating a case with significant negative air pressure means it will draw
air (and dust !!) inefficiently through every slit and pinhole in the
case/case cover. IMO that is not a positive situation. I prefer balanced or
slightly positive air pressure, to keep things inside clean (no dust
accumulation). All air should be drawned in via filters.

My advice to you situation is try to modify the exhaust fan connection from
12V to 7V (you can do that with a modded 4pin molex or cut & solder
connectors. this will a) still utilize your existing hardware, b) reduce
noise levels, c) reduce air draw to more balanced level, d) reduce power
draw (and heat) from PSU.
Start with lower exhaust fans - they draw relatively cool air from front
(lower) intake fans out of the case before it removes much heat. let the air
flow across your system upwards and backwards, to the PSU+upper exhaust
fans.

Optionaly disable one or both lower exhaust fans (to reduce noise even more)
or put them both at 5V for extremely low RPM, noise and power draw... and
put your 2 upper exhaust fans at 17V (or one at 7V, one at 12V to be on the
safe side) - if you are comfortable with this kind of modification (crossing
the wires of the 5v+, 0, 0, 12v+ molex connectors).

Internal air flow pattern is invariant to external differences. Its
turbulency will only be governed by geometry, path, and the gradient of
intake/exhaust ports, whether it is higher or lower than outside pressure is
irrelevant.

Old May 15th 04, 01:39 AM
JTS

You're not being a candy-a, Ed. If I had an idle temp of 48C I'd be a
little concerned too. Have you got a good CPU heatsink/fan setup?

Also, what par of Maryland you from?

Todd
Ellicott City, MD

"Ed Forsythe" wrote in message
Hi Pham,
I'm still at 2.8 contemplating another try at 3.2 or 3.4. Maybe I'm just

candy-a** but the high temps really bothered me. When I have time/guts

for
another go I'll post
--
Tally Ho!
Ed Forsythe
Maryland, USA

"Pham" wrote in message
s.com...
Ed Forsythe wrote:

OK Wayne, I'll back off to 2.8GHz then increase DDR SDRAM (vDiimm?) to

2.8.
Boot and fiddle then increase vCore to 1.7 shoot for 3.4 again and see

what
happens. Still the troops on Overclockers.com are getting excellent

results
with voltages (vCore) in the 1.6 range. Or maybe I'll just be

satisfied
at 3.2GHz. Frankly I can't see any real difference between 3.4 and

3.2.
When I was using a sim at 3.4 MBM indicated my CPU temp was 61°C -

that's a
bit too high for me. Thanks for the tip

How'd it go, Ed?
Inquiring minds want to know... they also want to go FASTER!
-Pham

OC'ing and memory and misc results Destroy Overclocking 4 February 28th 04 08:03 PM
Best MB for OC'ing P4 JM Overclocking 12 January 2nd 04 01:58 PM
My 3DMark 2003 results crapbottom Overclocking 14 November 13th 03 08:00 AM
First Time Overclocking Results uncooked meat prior to state vector collapse Overclocking 3 August 30th 03 02:36 PM
P4 OCing references CS Overclocking 0 August 29th 03 07:54 AM