Motherboard problems - abit and Asus

Old August 31st 03, 03:06 AM

Default Motherboard problems - abit and Asus

Im sending one back next week - its the the second RMA board in a row
to ABIT. The funny thing is I got a RMA replacement for a neighbors
ABIT 333 board too since his keyboard port went out. Small problem.
Got a nice looking replacement a few days ago but after putting it
together had the classic - wont post 80% of the time and no video much
of the time when it did get past that and totally erratic behavior.

Thought this was yet another castastrophic mess. I took apart and
tested anything I could. Then I noticed when I cleared the cmos , the
jumper was totally loose only intermittent contact. In fact when I
finally got it running it and touched it - it would cause it to go
nuts. I tightened the jumper connects with a safetpin and then it
worked perfectly fine. What the heck is going on with the quality
control ? They should have caught that a mile away that something was
wrong with the board though it turned out to be a small thing.

My Asus Nforce2 Deluxe board seems perfectly fine - the refurb. It was
only $69 - $79 though now at Newegg - seems like an awesome board -
has everything - sata/raid, two lan connections, sound 5.1 , etc etc
Even has a connection for a modem though Im not sure if its built in
to all boards or not. Theres just a blurb on it.

One big pain in the ass - wont boot up my old drives with Win XP pro
on them even in safe mode. Have to install from scratch. In fact its a
bit erratic even reading the disks as non-boot drives though I have it
working now and its stable.

When I go into safemode it blue screens all the time and hangs.

Old August 31st 03, 08:13 PM
YanquiDawg

I've bought 2 Abit boards over the years. Both have has to be RMA'd. And,I
switched to Epox. Never again,even though the features of Abit are tempting at
times.Dawg