Stray bullet ?

Old June 29th 04, 06:36 PM
johns

Default Stray bullet ?

Just installed new Gigabyte ATI 9600XT, and was
playing Far Cry at "realistic" difficulty last night. That
level of difficulty really brings out the Mercs running
and shooting, and they are *accurate*, I'm here to
tell you !!! I had hunkered down in a little nook
where I could see them when they first came running
through a doorway, but they would have to come out
from behind a stairwell to shoot at me. I got the first
5 or 6 of them, and then one came out , and I missed.
He got a little too close and fired .... and TOTAL
BLACK. My computer shut off dead as a doornail,
and would not restart until I went and reset the circuit
breaker. That is really rotten, UBISOFT .. shoot out
my power supply just because I was winning the level !
I won it too! Up all night! Jerks!

johns ( dead eye )

Old June 30th 04, 09:32 AM
TMack

"johns" wrote in message
Just installed new Gigabyte ATI 9600XT, and was
playing Far Cry at "realistic" difficulty last night. That
level of difficulty really brings out the Mercs running
and shooting, and they are *accurate*, I'm here to
tell you !!! I had hunkered down in a little nook
where I could see them when they first came running
through a doorway, but they would have to come out
from behind a stairwell to shoot at me. I got the first
5 or 6 of them, and then one came out , and I missed.
He got a little too close and fired .... and TOTAL
BLACK. My computer shut off dead as a doornail,
and would not restart until I went and reset the circuit
breaker. That is really rotten, UBISOFT .. shoot out
my power supply just because I was winning the level !
I won it too! Up all night! Jerks!

This is a new 'absolute realism' feature. The game is simply reproducing
the real world effects of a bullet fired into you at close range - total
blackness - dead!

Tony

Old June 30th 04, 04:54 PM
johns

This is a new 'absolute realism' feature. The game is simply reproducing
the real world effects of a bullet fired into you at close range - total
blackness - dead!

I know that Far Cry has some "Easter eggs" in it. I'm one
of the few who has actually seen a pig drive a jeep. I
thought maybe .. heat problem? .. but that has not
happened again ( so far ). I have a new 9600XT,
so I just wondered. The timing of that shot fired
at me was such that the Merc came out after
maybe a 30 second wait. I was sitting on the sniper
scope watching for the door to open, and when
he came out, he ducked to one side and ran, so
I missed the shot. When he fired, the screen went
black, and the computer would not restart until
I flipped the Psupply switch off and back on !!!
I think Far Cry generated that auto-down using
the CPU overheat thingy ?????? And the probability
of the system going down exactly on a shot when
there was very little action, due to overheat, is
maybe 0.00001 % ... and it has not recurred.

johns

Old June 30th 04, 06:49 PM
Blahguy

"johns" wrote in message

[...]

Given there is lots of shooting in the game the odds are probably greater
than that..

Old June 30th 04, 11:26 PM
johns

Given there is lots of shooting in the game the odds are probably greater
than that..

Probably, but not at that specific point. I had been sitting
30 sec at least, suspicious that another Merc was going
to give me the thrill of restarting the level. At the Realistic
setting, one shot will do it too. I know that there are some
video blackouts in the Research level for older drivers,
but this one was total power down exactly on the shot
fired. If it was a heat problem caused by loading too
many sprites and trying to maintain all the action, I
think I would be seeing the power down often. Nope.
Just that one time. Maybe it is an Easter egg, but the
amount of AI that is triggered to get that Merc past
my sniper scope is too much for the card .. or super
pegged the cpu which is generally running at about
40% during the game. Mobo is AMD based and hot
anyway. I haven't seen it again, and now I'm into the
really hard end levels. System is fine .. and fast. I even
got Valerie out of the Cooler, and that was some
fast running and rockets blazing from a Fat Boy
and 4 Trigens. Fat Boy and I had a rocket exchange
... running and firing 4 rockets took him down, and
then 2 Trigens chased me back the way I came in,
and 1 rocket and the SMG .. 60 shots took them
out. And, then I entered the door where Valerie
was and just started throwing grenades from the
door over the desk. Got 2 Trigens, and the cut
scene broke right in. No power supply problems
at all ?????????? That should have taken it down
for sure.

johns

Old July 1st 04, 08:24 PM
Blahguy

"johns" wrote in message

[...]

lol -

Point I was making is that a pc will crash some time only your are placing
some strange mystical connection with one shot. Just because the crash
happened at that point doesn't mean that event caused it.
I'm not sure how much the heat varies from the graphics card once you have
started running a game like Far Cry. Maybe someone has measured this.
If it was overheating I think you might have seens some screen artefacts
first, or maybe a non-responsive (graphically anyway) PC.
The fact it happened only once (so far) probably gives you your answer, it
was a random occurence caused by your position in relation to the 3rd moon
of jupiter.
P.C.s are complicated devices with millions of combinations of hardware,
software, drivers and user "tweaks".This means there is far more possibility
of an error occuring by the sheer number of combinations. Occasionally some
random event happens that will not happen again for several years.
Just play your game and be happy ;-)

BTW haven't got around to playing FC yet....