rugged notebook

Old June 5th 09, 09:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
vivagian

Default rugged notebook

hi..j'm from italy
j'd like to know something about rugget notebook. J've seen in a
laboratory some of these used pc from italian Army. The cost is up 500
euro.
Is it correct?
can be a good thing for a teenager ?

thank you
Gian
Old June 5th 09, 08:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bjor

vivagian schreef:
hi..j'm from italy
j'd like to know something about rugget notebook. J've seen in a
laboratory some of these used pc from italian Army. The cost is up 500
euro.
Is it correct?
can be a good thing for a teenager ?

Gian,

I think there is a considirable risk in buying a second hand rugged pc.
Are the specifications of the pc still up to date? In other words: will
it be able to run modern applications? If your children on the other
hand only will use it for browsing the Internet, some chatting and
wordprocessing, most laptops will do. If they want to play the latest 3D
games, chances are that those games will not run because of poor video
performance and lack of memory. (But affordable gaming laptops hardly
excist.)
Besides that, rugged pc's are being used in al sorts of environments in
which non protected pc's hardly will survive, such as rough terrain, hot
and cold and/or wet environments, and will suffer from shock and
vibrations. Therefore, chances of failure when the pc gets older are
high. I don't think the military will handle pc's with much care.

On the other hand, modern laptops become cheaper every day. Nowadays you
buy a new laptop with moderate specifications for less than € 500,- (in
Holland anyway; I don't know prices in Italy.
I think even teenagers will handle laptops with enough care. Therefore I
dont think you wille be better off with a second hand rugged pc.

Success,

Bjor
Old June 18th 09, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
me

:-)

A friend of mine took an ordinary laptop to West Africa for three months;
living in huts, heat, dust, bugs... never had any problems. Modern laptops
aren't that precious; I'm sure they'll survive Italian teenagers :-)

Marc.