ASUS K8V Deluxe - Motherboard

Old October 12th 04, 09:21 PM
Andre

Default ASUS K8V Deluxe - Motherboard

ASUS K8V Deluxe - Motherboard
Processor -One 754-pin socket supports one AMD Athlon 64 processor
Built-in 1MB L2 cache
-AMD64 architecture enables simultaneous 32-bit and 64-bit computing
System Bus Scalable HyperTransport
Chipset VIA K8T800
VIA VT8237
Memory 3 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 3GB un-buffered ECC and
non-ECC PC3200/PC2700 / PC2100 DDR SDRAM memory
Expansion Slots 1 x AGP 8X
1 x ASUS Wi-Fi slot for optional wireless LAN upgrade
5x PCI
Storage South Bridge
-2 x ATA133
-2 x SATA, RAID0, RAID1
Promise R20378 RAID controller
-1xUltraDMA133 supports two hard drives
-2xSerial ATA
-RAID0, RAID1, RAID 0+1
Audio ADI AD1980, 6-channel CODEC
S/PDIF out interface
LAN 3COM 3C940 Gb Ethernet LAN
1394 FireWire VIA VT6307 controller with 2 IEEE1394 ports
USB2.0 8 USB2.0 ports
Special Features AI NET
AI BIOS
ASUS MyLogo2
ASUS POST Reporter
ASUS C.P.R.
ASUS EZ Flash
Support S/PDIF out interface
ASUS CrashFree2 BIOS
ASUS Instant Music
ASUS Multi-language BIOS
ASUS Q-Fan
Overclock Features -ASUS JumperFree
-Memory, Vlink voltage adjustable
-SFS(Stepless Frequency Selection) from 200 MHz up to 300MHz at 1MHz
increment
Back Panel I/O 1xSerial
4xUSB
1xParallel
1xRJ45
1xIEEE1394
1 x PS/2 Keyboard
1 x PS/2 Mouse
1x Audio I/O
1x SPDIF OUT
Internal I/O Connectors -2x USB2.0 connector supports additional 4 USB
2.0 ports
-20-pin ATX power connector
-4-pin ATX 12V power connector
-CPU /chassis/Power Fan connectors
-COM2 connector
-CD/ AUX audio in
-IEEE 1394 connector
-GAME port connector
-SPDIF_OUT connector
BIOS Feature -4Mb Flash EEPROM
-AMI BIOS with enhanced ACPI,DMI,PnP,Green
-ASUS EZ Flash, ASUS Mylogo2, ASUS Q-Fan, SM BIOS 2.3, Crash-Free
BIOS2
Industry Standard PCI 2.2, USB2.0
Manageability WOL by PME, WOR by PME
Form Factor ATX
12" x 9.6" (30.5cm x 24.5cm)

Is this a good motherboard? I want a motherboard that is fairly
future-proof and I can upgrade and will last me perhaps 2 - 3 years... so
any ppl think this one sounds ok?
Also, I will get AMD Athalon 64 3000+ ... again is this a failry ok chip?
I dont use heavily intesive apps. but these specs seem to be entry level.

Will my current nVidia G Force 4 64mb DDR graphics card work on this
motherboard? The graphics card says it requires 2x / 4x AGP, but I know
themotherbaord is AGP 8x... is 8x downward compatible or not?

Thanks!!!!!!

A.

Old October 13th 04, 12:25 AM
Alceryes

Socket 754 will be on it's way out soon. Socket 939 is the way to go.
All 8x AGP slots are 2x and 4x compatible.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

Old October 13th 04, 01:46 AM

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:21:33 +0100, "Andre"
wrote:

ASUS K8V Deluxe - Motherboard
Processor -One 754-pin socket supports one AMD Athlon 64 processor
Built-in 1MB L2 cache
-AMD64 architecture enables simultaneous 32-bit and 64-bit computing
System Bus Scalable HyperTransport
Chipset VIA K8T800
VIA VT8237
Memory 3 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 3GB un-buffered ECC and

I built one for a neighbor and its a popular board. AMD bundled it
with the 3200. It did work with his old 64 bit graphics which I used
to power up the system with , hes using a 6800 GT now.

Sure you can use it for a while but future-proof is a subjective
thing. All systems are going to look pretty dang old in about 1.5
years.and it depends on what happens in the furture obviously - some
things may pop up which we cant predict that may totally make your
system out of date. One thing BTX. If everyone suddenly switches to
BTX in the next few years or some other thing like that --- it could
make your system more out of it than we imagine.

Right now --- the PCI express boards uh ... should be out any day now.
They were predicted to come out by VIA at the end of Sept , then Oct,
Still no word so its hard to say but they should be out between now
and Dec probably, Nvidia is also supposed to come out with their new
boards with PCI express for the AMDs. So in that sense -- itll be out
of date a bit right away. Second the 754 socket itself may become more
and more out of it -- the next two years since 939 is falling in price
and thats going to be AMDs mainstream socket.

In performance terms -- sure youll be able to use your system for
quite a while. The 754 socket and ATX and AGP wont disappear -
hopefully. No ones predicting it. Of couse just how out of it itll
seem -- no one knows. You can still get some PCI graphics cards
obviously but they seem ancient.