IDE Cable

Old January 28th 04, 12:14 PM
Hank Arnold

I think you have to be careful about the cable used. If I recall correctly,
Cable Select used a different cable than Master/Slave.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Brian K" iibntgyea4_ wrote in message
I still use Master/ Slave jumpers. With Cable Select you can't put the
Master device on the middle connector, if that is a more convenient
position.

Brian

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
Thanks for clearing that up. The link you posted
and the one inside it
(
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html)
are good ones.

*TimDaniels*

"Brian K" posted:
http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/ide-cable-select.html

"Timothy Daniels" asked:
What makes an 80-wire cable a Cable Select cable
or not a Cable Select cable?

Old January 29th 04, 08:30 AM
Timothy Daniels

"Hank Arnold" wrote:
Nope. Master is booted first.

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
....What does it matter whether a device is
Master or Slave? Isn't the boot device designated
by the BIOS' boot sequence?

I just tried it - with 2 bootable HDs connected to the
same IDE channel, one jumpered as Master, the other
as Slave, I set the boot sequence in the BIOS to try the
HD jumpered as Slave first. The Slave HD booted up.
It's not clear to me what the significance of Master/
Slave designation is, but it's apparently not for determining
which HD will boot - that appears to be determined by

Old January 29th 04, 02:24 PM
S.Lewis

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
"Hank Arnold" wrote:
Nope. Master is booted first.

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
....What does it matter whether a device is
Master or Slave? Isn't the boot device designated
by the BIOS' boot sequence?

I just tried it - with 2 bootable HDs connected to the
same IDE channel, one jumpered as Master, the other
as Slave, I set the boot sequence in the BIOS to try the
HD jumpered as Slave first. The Slave HD booted up.
It's not clear to me what the significance of Master/
Slave designation is, but it's apparently not for determining
which HD will boot - that appears to be determined by
the boot sequence in the BIOS.

*TimDaniels*

The master is the primary bootable (hard) disk by default unless it's
changed, which is what you did.

This is not unlike the (now old) standard default boot order of floppy, hard
disk, atapi, network. While those are the default settings for the BIOS to
seek a bootable disk, they can be manually changed by the user when needed.

Stew

Old January 29th 04, 10:25 PM
Nick

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:09:04 -0800, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Timothy
Daniels" wrote:

That brings up another thing: What does it matter whether
a device is Master or Slave? Isn't the boot device designated
by the BIOS' boot sequence?

Default drive letter assignments: primary partitions on the master drive are
assigned letters before primaries on the slave drive, then logical drives in
an extended partition on the master are assigned letters before ones on the
slave.

--
Nick
Old January 30th 04, 06:55 AM
Timothy Daniels

"S.Lewis" wrote:
"Timothy Daniels" wrote:

I just tried it - with 2 bootable HDs connected to the
same IDE channel, one jumpered as Master, the other
as Slave, I set the boot sequence in the BIOS to try the
HD jumpered as Slave first. The Slave HD booted up.
It's not clear to me what the significance of Master/
Slave designation is, but it's apparently not for determining
which HD will boot - that appears to be determined by
the boot sequence in the BIOS.

The master is the primary bootable (hard) disk by default
unless it's changed, which is what you did.

That appears to be it. I tried putting the HDs jumpered
Master and Slave on different channels with the Slave on ch. 0
and Master on ch. 1, and on the same channel with the Slave
drive at the end connector. In both situations, the Master
drive appeared in the BIOS at the head of the boot sequence
(i.e. highest priority for bootable drive search).

*TimDaniels*

Digital Cable setup? Shelley Ati Videocards 2 April 3rd 04 06:05 AM
Split Cable Modem Line For TV Tuner? *Vanguard* General 3 November 23rd 03 11:14 PM
cutting psu wires Pen General 4 July 27th 03 07:49 PM
No partition data when ATA-100 cable used. DS Homebuilt PC's 5 July 8th 03 08:01 AM
2nd HD install question cable orientation GarySport Dell Computers 5 July 5th 03 03:48 AM