Wi-Fi solution?

Old January 28th 04, 03:19 PM
Maurits

Default Wi-Fi solution?

Hi,

Using my new Inspiron 5100 for 2 days now.Works fine. I'm planning to
buy an W-Fi access point for my PC (CAT5) and laptop (mini pci
802.11b/g) wireless. What model or brand do you recomment for
networking/printer sharing/Internet broadband ADSL access?

Greetz, Maurits

Old January 28th 04, 05:16 PM
joe_tide

I've used Belkin, NetGear, and LinkSys. I don't see any difference. Get
whatever you can get a good price on if it has the features you need.

Many like to get the same brand of equipment for networking. It just seems
to work better and there's no finger pointing at another brand if you would
ever have to get in touch with tech support.

Old January 28th 04, 05:40 PM
S.Lewis

"joe_tide" wrote in message
I've used Belkin, NetGear, and LinkSys. I don't see any difference. Get
whatever you can get a good price on if it has the features you need.

Many like to get the same brand of equipment for networking. It just seems
to work better and there's no finger pointing at another brand if you

would
ever have to get in touch with tech support.

snip

Linksys, Netgear, or DLink on this end.

Stew

Old January 29th 04, 06:35 PM
Maurits

"BigJim" schreef in bericht
the only suggestion I will make is what ever you buy get matching
components.

So I have to buy a Dell wi-fi access point....
But I hope a lot of people here have a mini PCI wireless card in their
Inspiron and using another brand. A friend of mine adviced yo buy a good
brand, on a cheap onw like Sweex or Linksys. Drayteck Vigor and 3COM seems
to better a better choice. It has more and better ways to configure the
various settings of the internal router.
So I'm very interested in real life solutions with this Dell mini PCI card.
I'm using Windows XP.

Old January 30th 04, 02:18 AM
Peptic_Sheriff

I am using a Linksys WAP, a Linksys router and a US Robotics mini pci
card in my 5100 and it works perfectly. WAP is on the 3rd floor of
house and I have excellent connection all the way down to the basement
where my son has a room. Also the thing works great out in the barn
about 400' from the house...

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:35:23 +0100, "Maurits"
wrote:

[...]

WL 400 Tuning and fix ( Solution customer care N° 4203 ) Free Compaq Computers 0 November 12th 04 01:01 AM
Howto install the drivers for mobility Radeon 9200 on Compaq X1000 with Windows Server 2003 !!! (solution) Razvan Ati Videocards 1 August 12th 04 07:13 AM
CPU Cooling Solution John E General 7 December 24th 03 08:59 AM
Soyo and ATI Compatiblity Problem in XP ----- SOLUTION FOUND!!!! Hoss.N.Pfeffer Ati Videocards 1 October 9th 03 09:43 PM
Artec or Memorex 48U Scanner Solution BMac Scanners 0 September 25th 03 07:06 PM