2nd HD install question cable orientation

Old June 29th 03, 02:09 AM
GarySport

Default 2nd HD install question cable orientation

This is probably a dumb question but do hard drives have a "correct side up"?
i.e., does it make any difference whether the green circuit board side or the
metal side is upright in the computer? The reason I ask is I'm installing a
2nd HD in my 8600, and I noticed when I unplugged the cable from the first one
that the drive is right side up but that the cable went up and under (upside
down) in order to accomodate the notch on the connector. Therefore I couldn't
use the pull-tab assist to disconnect it (it was underneath), so I just
disconnected it with my fingers, no problem. However, when I install the
second drive, if I connect the 1st exactly like it was, the connector for the
2nd drive is on the wrong side of the cable and can't be plugged in. And if I
just twist the cable to get both connectors on the same side, then the notches
in the connectors are in the wrong place. I dug out a non-Dell cable I had and
sure enough, the Dell connectors are upside down compared to the non-Dell
cable. The only way I can figure out how to continue using the Dell cable is
to put both drives "upside down". I guess I could use the other cable I had,
but it doesn't have the pull-tabs which I like for easier disconnection. For
those of you who have installed a 2nd HD, how did you orient your drives and
route your Dell cable to get the connector notches to line up? Is this weird,
or am I? grin

GaryS

Old June 29th 03, 05:15 AM
Liam Devlin

GarySport wrote:
This is probably a dumb question but do hard drives have a "correct side up"?
i.e., does it make any difference whether the green circuit board side or the
metal side is upright in the computer?

No, in my Dim XPS B866r the C: drive was mounted vertically and the D:
drive was installed green side up.

Old June 30th 03, 09:07 PM
Mike Berger

That depends on the drive. A few years ago, most drives were made to be
in one orientation. Now, many of them are more flexible as to how they can
be mounted. But you're still dealing with a high speed rotating device and
bearings. The drive should almost certainly be oriented at 0 or 90 degree
intervals and not in between. You'll probably reduce bearing life in any
position but flat, rightside up.

Old June 30th 03, 10:47 PM
RD

Mike wrote:
The drive should almost certainly be oriented at 0 or 90 degree
intervals and not in between. You'll probably reduce bearing life in any
position but flat, rightside up.

So if flat, which way is "rightside up"? The metal surface on top or the green
circuit board on top? Thanks.

RD
Old July 5th 03, 03:48 AM
Lester Horwinkle

Doesn't matter ... but ... the layout of the IDE cable may make one drive
orientation easy to install, and the other quite difficult.

"GarySport" wrote in message
[...]

RADEON 9700/9800 Power Extension Cable question C.R.GRAHAM Ati Videocards 2 October 19th 04 05:00 PM
ATI AIW 9600XT Question: sound w/o cable? Jack Ati Videocards 11 October 8th 04 10:57 PM
First Build Computer - Need Checklists and Other Tracking Documents Rob Homebuilt PC's 5 July 25th 04 12:03 AM
Boot problem *Vanguard* General 8 February 29th 04 07:53 AM
Compaq cd-rw factory install question... Enkidu Cdr 0 September 1st 03 02:13 PM