I guess the FX serires is considered history?

Old July 3rd 04, 04:08 AM
Guess Who

Default I guess the FX serires is considered history?

No new (official) drivers since April 1st, guess they don't think much of us
FX owners anymore. That's OK, my next card will be another ATI.

Old July 3rd 04, 03:22 PM
jafar

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 23:08:25 -0400, Guess Who wrote:

No new (official) drivers since April 1st, guess they don't think much of us
FX owners anymore. That's OK, my next card will be another ATI.

Maybe because the latest drivers work well? What do you want? A new driver
every 3 days?
If you were a Linux user, you would notice new drivers released on 30th
June. If you really need new drivers that badly, why not switch OS to get
them more often?

--
Jafar Calley
Registered Linux User #359623

Old July 3rd 04, 03:29 PM
Biz

Unless you are having issues with your current drivers, why do you need new
drivers?

Old July 3rd 04, 06:14 PM
rms

"x-bit labs tested the difference between performance with the 1.2 and 1.1
patch on the NV3x (5900 Ultra) and well it wasn't pretty. NV3x actually saw
a rather big performance drop using the new patch. I dunno if nVidia is
gonna do anything about this since they seem to be turning a blind eye to
the NV3x line with respect to future optimizations"

rms

Old July 3rd 04, 09:47 PM
Dark Avenger

"rms" wrote in
:

"x-bit labs tested the difference between performance with the 1.2 and
1.1 patch on the NV3x (5900 Ultra) and well it wasn't pretty. NV3x
actually saw a rather big performance drop using the new patch. I dunno
if nVidia is gonna do anything about this since they seem to be turning
a blind eye to the NV3x line with respect to future optimizations"

rms

it seems the FX serie is indeed quite the problem child.. I think nvidia
will ensure games run on it.. but performance optimalisations probably soon
will only be done on GF6 cards orso... But that still can take 6 months.....

the FX series just is weak... nothing more then weak in PS2.0

Oh surely nice gaming cards... untill PS 2.0 upped his head..
Old July 4th 04, 06:12 AM
John Lewis

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:08:25 -0400, "Guess Who"
wrote:

No new (official) drivers since April 1st, guess they don't think much of us
FX owners anymore. That's OK, my next card will be another ATI.

Please, please turn brain and do a little nosing around relevant
newsgroups and forums before typing...............

I submit the following text with the assumption that you are more
intelligent than a troll.

The 56.72 drivers are extremely stable.

You will notice that Ati update their drivers every 3 weeks or so.

Wanna know why ? Their QC sucks. Impossible to have
reasonable QC, regardless of number of monkeys, on a
3 week cycle, especially with regard to checking
that new changes do not break something previously
working properly.

Follow the appropriate threads on the Ati newsgroup.

See the results on Thief3, for example. Cat 4.4 is the only
driver that works properly with that game, All drivers prior
AND after 4.4 ( e.g: 4.5 and 4.6) have flickering shadow
problems and other graphical glitches. The latest Ati drivers
also have problems with Far Cry V1.2 ( see Anandtech
article )

56.72 works just fine with my FX5900 and Thief 3,
and all of my other Dx8, Dx9 games -- I have a large
collection.

Nvidia is committed to universal drivers. However,
there was a nasty period between the stable 53.03 release
( 9 December) and the stable 56.72 release ( 1 April )
where they did major work on improving the efficiency
of their run-time compiler, but which broke a lot of stuff,
and the drivers released in that period were a real mess.
Now that they again have a very stable release and are
working hard on integrating the 6800 features,
I doubt if nVidia will do anything about updating 56.72
until they are very confident indeed that they can roll
the 6800 capability into the universal driver without
a repeat of the events in the first 3 months of this
year.

John Lewis

Old July 4th 04, 09:04 PM
Guess Who

Well, as a matter of fact, I AM having issues, mainly the problem with
Windows Media player not releasing after I watch video clips, and when
capturing/viewing MPEG2 clips, they are VERY dark. I had none of these
problems with any ATI card I had.

I know the "unofficial" drivers fix the WMP problem, and I am using them.
Why not release an "official" driver for this fix?

Old July 4th 04, 09:12 PM
Guess Who

No, do YOU wanna know why? ATI acknowledges problems in the drivers and
release fixes publicly. NVIDIA wants you to acknowledge their cards/drivers
as perfect and do not publicly admit to problems, but rather "leak" the
fixes out. Where do you think all those Guru3D drivers originate from?

Yes, the drivers are "stable". that doesn't mean they are perfect. I don't
game, I'm into video editing - and this is where I have the problems. No,
they don't crash anything or lock up my system, but their performance is
less than stellar.

I also resent being called a troll. I'm not some 12 year old kid sitting up
in his room with nothing better to do. I've been building and maintaining
PC's probably before you were even born. 'Nuff said.

Old July 4th 04, 11:59 PM
John Lewis

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:12:25 -0400, "Guess Who"
wrote:

No, do YOU wanna know why? ATI acknowledges problems in the drivers and
release fixes publicly.

Fixes that break things previously working ? Classic symptom
of non-existent or very poorly-managed QC, no regression-testing etc.
As a professional electronic engineer, I have been heavily involved
in systematic QC testing for many years.

NVIDIA wants you to acknowledge their cards/drivers
as perfect and do not publicly admit to problems, but rather "leak" the
fixes out. Where do you think all those Guru3D drivers originate from?

Yes, the drivers are "stable". that doesn't mean they are perfect. I don't
game, I'm into video editing - and this is where I have the problems.

Funny thing.... video editing is also an active business for me.
Exactly where does the 56.72 driver not work ? Did a complete
wedding edit last week (FX5900).

No,
they don't crash anything or lock up my system, but their performance is
less than stellar.

Explain in the context of your video editor. Maybe you have a maverick
program or two running in background, a configuration problem, or
residual driver junk from previous installations. Tried a clean
install recently ?

Anyway, if you are really serious about video editing and not at all
into gaming, you probably should be investing in Matrox products. The
Parhelia series of video cards are deficient for gaming, but are sure
the best-quality available for video editing applications. Superb
quality display; triple-head spread-screens too if you have the money
for the displays. Combine that with their real-time editing/
transcoding hardware in the RTX 100 Extreme Pro.

I also resent being called a troll.

Please read very carefully again exactly what I said. I did not call
you a troll. However, your message was a typical troll-type posting,
but did not seem to come from a troll, which is the reason why I
worded my reply the way that I did.

I'm not some 12 year old kid sitting up
in his room with nothing better to do. I've been building and maintaining
PC's probably before you were even born. 'Nuff said.

Unlikely. Unless you are writing from the geriatric ward.

Cut my computer/multi-media teeth on the original Commodore-
Amiga family (1985 - 1993 )

Nowadays, I build computers for performance, fun, business support
and for family members and friends.

John Lewis

Old July 5th 04, 12:31 AM
John Lewis

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:04:32 -0400, "Guess Who"
wrote:

Well, as a matter of fact, I AM having issues, mainly the problem with
Windows Media player not releasing after I watch video clips, and when
capturing/viewing MPEG2 clips, they are VERY dark. I had none of these
problems with any ATI card I had.

I know the "unofficial" drivers fix the WMP problem, and I am using them.
Why not release an "official" driver for this fix?

Sorry, replied to your later posting first.

Checked several of my .mp2 clips with Windows Media 8.00.00.4487
on Win XP Pro (latest updates) and 56.72. No problem with brightness
at all. Exactly the same as with my other viewing tools. Yes, there
was a problem with exiting the clip - the dreaded error report screen.

However, with Windows Media 9.00.00.2980 ( the very latest) and 56.72,
no problem with clip brightness, no problem with exiting the clip.
However, on a very long .mp2 clip ( I checked with one which was well
over an hour long ), WMP can take ~ 15 seconds to unload the clip and
is frozen during that time. Random mouse clicks in the wrong place
during unload might just produce an applications crash............

I normally do not use WMP for viewing/manipulating .mp2 files. I use
several different tools from Adobe, Pinnacle and others. No problem
with the 56.72 driver.

John Lewis

"Guess Who" wrote in message
No new (official) drivers since April 1st, guess they don't think much

of
us
FX owners anymore. That's OK, my next card will be another ATI.

Nvidia's History with Sega Zackman Nvidia Videocards 37 June 20th 04 07:02 AM
IE6 and History Graeme General 5 January 20th 04 01:16 PM
Nintendo and ATI: A History Radeon350 Ati Videocards 4 August 17th 03 09:31 PM