FX 5600 based cards?

Old July 14th 03, 09:57 PM
Keith Clark

Default FX 5600 based cards?

I was considering a Ti4200 based card but it seems nobody sells the one
I want so now I'm looking at the FX 5600 based ones.

The Asus 9560 cards have dual DVI connectors so that's one thing I'm
looking for (and a variable speed fan = lower noise).

It seems that the Ti440 based cards get higher frame rates except when
using anti-aliasing. I suppose that's fine since I'd want anti-aliasing
and a good image over "high frame rates".

Has anyone here used a FX 5600 based card? All anyone talks about in
reviews is overclocking and frame rates. What about stability, low noise
and image quality?

--Keith

Old July 15th 03, 02:53 AM
678

MSI FX5600

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/..._guide-70.html

Old July 15th 03, 04:34 AM
Keith Clark

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:53:32 +0000, 678 wrote:

MSI FX5600

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/..._guide-70.html

Sweet. That article was just posted today, too. Thanks. :-

Looks like a good card. I wish it had dual DVI connectors though...

Keith

Old July 15th 03, 10:19 AM
tHatDudeUK

"Keith Clark" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:53:32 +0000, 678 wrote:

MSI FX5600

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/..._guide-70.html

Sweet. That article was just posted today, too. Thanks. :-

Looks like a good card. I wish it had dual DVI connectors though...

Keith

Still doesn't change the fact that in most situations the 9600 pro wipes the
floor from that card even by the own admissions of the benchmarks on that
page. However, I must admit that with the features etc the MSI is tempting
me...

Old July 15th 03, 04:29 PM
Dave

The 5600 Ultra flipchip smokes the 9600 pro. And then it wipes the floor
with it.
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/gffx-10.html

Dave

Old July 15th 03, 05:34 PM
Keith Clark

tHatDudeUK wrote:

"Keith Clark" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:53:32 +0000, 678 wrote:

MSI FX5600

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/..._guide-70.html

Sweet. That article was just posted today, too. Thanks. :-

Looks like a good card. I wish it had dual DVI connectors though...

Keith

Still doesn't change the fact that in most situations the 9600 pro wipes the
floor from that card even by the own admissions of the benchmarks on that
page. However, I must admit that with the features etc the MSI is tempting
me...

I really don't care if ATI is "fastest" - "fast enough" is OK for me. What's
more important is Linux support as well as Windows and nVidia really shines
there, more than ATI. So "fastest" doesn't help me if it doesn't have good Linux
support as I use both Windows and Linux.

Keith

Old July 15th 03, 05:37 PM
Keith Clark

Dave wrote:

The 5600 Ultra flipchip smokes the 9600 pro. And then it wipes the floor
with it.
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/gffx-10.html

Dave

OK, but I'm no fan of Gainward. Who else makes cards based on this chip - for
under $200, because that's my absolute upper limit for a new card. Otherwise a
regular 5600 will probably be fine. I'm not entering any contests, I don't care
if my system has better benchmarks than someone else's, I just want it to work.

Thanks,
Keith

Old July 19th 03, 11:44 PM
tHatDudeUK

"Dave" wrote in message
The 5600 Ultra flipchip smokes the 9600 pro. And then it wipes the floor
with it.

Unfortunately at greater cost than a 9600 pro. It just sucks that the 9600
is poorer than the old 9500 it replaced.

Old July 21st 03, 01:53 AM
Keith Clark

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:32:41 -0700, The Thin Man wrote:

On this day of our lord, Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:34:42 -0700, Keith Clark
quilled:

I really don't care if ATI is "fastest" - "fast enough" is OK for me. What's
more important is Linux support as well as Windows and nVidia really shines
there, more than ATI. So "fastest" doesn't help me if it doesn't have good Linux
support as I use both Windows and Linux.

Keith

Then get a BX chipset mb and a Voodoo3. Linux is not for cutting edge
hardware users.

Go blow yourself, moron.
Old July 22nd 03, 12:15 PM
Darthy

wrote:

On this day of our lord, Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:34:42 -0700, Keith Clark
quilled:

I really don't care if ATI is "fastest" - "fast enough" is OK for me. What's
more important is Linux support as well as Windows and nVidia really shines
there, more than ATI. So "fastest" doesn't help me if it doesn't have good Linux
support as I use both Windows and Linux.

Keith

Then get a BX chipset mb and a Voodoo3. Linux is not for cutting edge
hardware users.

Windows is not for cutting edge anything... other than the knife at
your throat the uncle Bill is holding.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!