Bad sectors again? What gives?

Old September 21st 03, 05:23 PM
david

Default Bad sectors again? What gives?

This cannot be a coincidence! I just got a new MAtrox Harddrive and
installed the Pro Magic 6.0 that came with my Aopen 533N motherboard.
Just before installing, it did a scan disk and a defrag - not errors
or bad sectors. Now, after it installed and had a hard time booting
several times after the PRo Magic was installed, it now detects over 9
GIGs of Bad sectors - this is right after I had 25 GIG of bad sectors
on the last hard drive before I returned it - all after installing Pro
Magic 6.0! Worse than this, I only detected about 1 Gig of bad
sectors, went to reboot and found 9 GIGs! Nothing before installing
this software...what the hell gives?

What can I do about this? Does this sound like a virus on the OEM cd?
When I first had the problem, even after formatting, there were still
bad sectors.

Anyone have a fix or a workaround for this? Should I get a new drive
(again!)
??

Old September 21st 03, 08:52 PM
Graham

Have you downloaded the HD maufacturers diagnostics?
Run those and go from there.

regards
Graham

Old September 21st 03, 11:01 PM
david

I went to Maxtor and downloaded their diagnostic tool, which said
there was no error - but when I run scan disk - it shows 9 megs of
errors - worse than that, I cannot do a thorough scan disk because of
the - write protection error - I assume the error is in a windows
file.

Old September 22nd 03, 01:21 AM
Conor Turton

In article ,
says...
[...]

**** all wrong with the old drive and if you can't see this you
shouldn't be doing anything with computers except using Word on them.

I'll throw you a bone.

1)Install first drive, it works fine.
2)Install Pro Magic, it ****s up the data
3)Install second drive, it works fine.
4)Install Pro Magic, it ****s up the data (STARTING TO SEE A
PATTERN????)
5)Use DOS based tool that doesn't load Pro Magic and it reports all A-
OK.

If you haven't worked out that Pro Magic is the root of all your
problems then you're a friggin moron.

There is nothing wrong with the drives. The partitions have got
corrupted from that sack of **** software you're insistent on
installing.

Wipe the drive, partition it again AND FOPR **** SAKE DON'T INSTALL
THAT PRO MAGIC ****.

--
________________________
Conor Turton

ICQ:31909763
________________________
Old September 22nd 03, 01:26 AM
david

Thaks for the info. You said some funny stuff and it was exactly what
I needed to hear. Thanks, going to unistall it.

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:21:04 +0100, Conor Turton
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Old September 22nd 03, 02:04 AM
Smoker

wrote:

Have you downloaded the HD maufacturers diagnostics?
Run those and go from there.

For years the hard drive manufacturers software has been useless when it
comes to reporting errors that you know you have., in particular, WD and
Maxtor.

Old September 22nd 03, 02:41 AM
david

Did it and unistalled the pathetic Pro Magic software - guess what? 0
Errors on the drive. What a waste of the day, but at least I know
now. Thanks to all that helped

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:26:00 -0400, david
wrote:

Thaks for the info. You said some funny stuff and it was exactly what
I needed to hear. Thanks, going to unistall it.

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:21:04 +0100, Conor Turton
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Old September 22nd 03, 11:04 PM
Podgee

I had same thing u did, with PM, and I never use PM again, I give the PM the
flick, I will use Fdisk from now on

wrote:

Thaks for the info. You said some funny stuff and it was exactly what
I needed to hear. Thanks, going to unistall it.

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:21:04 +0100, Conor Turton
wrote:

In article ,
says...